We Get A New Kickoff Routine!

BobbyPhil1781

Will this make teams more likely to put their best player back there to return kicks?

If you put Tyreek Hill back there, they either have to kick it to him or kick it out of the end zone and put them at the 35-yard line.  Or well, have it land in the landing zone and roll into the end zone, but not sure how many times that will happen.

If huge collisions are now less likely, then I don't see why you wouldn't put your best offensive player / runner back there for 1 or 2 returns.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Will this make teams more likely to put their best player back there to return kicks?

If you put Tyreek Hill back there, they either have to kick it to him or kick it out of the end zone and put them at the 35-yard line.  Or well, have it land in the landing zone and roll into the end zone, but not sure how many times that will happen.

If huge collisions are now less likely, then I don't see why you wouldn't put your best offensive player / runner back there for 1 or 2 returns.  

There's definitely a lot of cool implications for this rule change and I expect we'll see some surprises like that a few times this year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

ok, we can go back then to kickers just booting it out of the end zone for more commercial time, no worries

Or they could've just moved the kickoff back to the 30 and left it alone. Wedges, double-team blocks and cut back blocks had all already been eliminated and those were the most dangerous aspects of a kick-off return. There was no need to go this nuts with things and the only reason they're doing it is because they completely removed the excitement of the kickoff with their prior neutering of it. And honestly, watching the XFL I didn't hate their kickoff but it didn't look like NFL football to me. I get rules are going to change but at some point we're going to quit resembling the game everyone grew up loving under the guise of safety. 

• Like 2

I dont dislike the idea.  The part that is weird to me is watching guys stand still after the ball has been kicked.

And removing the surprise onside kick sucks.

Also, they basically have to restart the history book for returners.

20 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Or they could've just moved the kickoff back to the 30 and left it alone. Wedges, double-team blocks and cut back blocks had all already been eliminated and those were the most dangerous aspects of a kick-off return. There was no need to go this nuts with things and the only reason they're doing it is because they completely removed the excitement of the kickoff with their prior neutering of it. And honestly, watching the XFL I didn't hate their kickoff but it didn't look like NFL football to me. I get rules are going to change but at some point we're going to quit resembling the game everyone grew up loving under the guise of safety. 

"We don't need to keep having all these new rules implemented every year. Just leave the damn game alone. And the guys who aren't even being affected by this are the ones voting on the rule change. Let the players vote on this stuff."

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Thanks

This is just.... weird.

Trying to wrap my head around it.

Hang time is now irrelevant, kicks on the endzone are de-incentivized.

Seems like there could be some good opportunities to return it for TDs, since the distances are smaller and it's basically a run play with the runner a little further back.

Need to read the rules, concerning the spacing of players on those lines, but there could be some opportunities to get some actual blocking going.

2 minutes ago, kramxel said:

This is just.... weird.

Trying to wrap my head around it.

Hang time is now irrelevant, kicks on the endzone are de-incentivized.

Seems like there could be some good opportunities to return it for TDs, since the distances are smaller and it's basically a run play with the runner a little further back.

Need to read the rules, concerning the spacing of players on those lines, but there could be some opportunities to get some actual blocking going.

I actually want to see how this compares to the punt that follows a safety.

24 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I dont dislike the idea.  The part that is weird to me is watching guys stand still after the ball has been kicked.

And removing the surprise onside kick sucks.

Also, they basically have to restart the history book for returners.

Already restarted the history books for everything after adding the additional game so it's moot at this point.

Watch spring football this year to get a glimpse of how it's going to work. I personally like it.

18 minutes ago, Danger said:

I actually want to see how this compares to the punt that follows a safety.

Seems similar, but the "freeze" time, makes the engagement different.

I was also wondering how this significantly changes the physical profile requirements for STs, I'd assume you'd get more Lineman type guys, doing the blocking, rather than the usual athletic freaks with raw technique, at least in the blocking team.

Does the XFL feature a ton of guys that can break through a single line though? I’d imagine return TDs will be a lot more common with NFL talent. It’s too risky not to keep booting it out the endzone. You are saving 5-10 yards tops by opting to cover that.

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Reading this and I just had flashbacks to Marshall Faulk 'returning' a kickoff in the Super Bowl by going out of bounds.