Panthers sign DE Jadeveon Clowney (2 years, $20M)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Gonna use this post for the opportunity to re-post his HS highlights:

Grown man amongst Boys, No doubt. 🍺

As a supposed Generational Talent, he's played more like a Boy amongst Men in the NFL then the latter.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Guess I thought he might care a little more about winning at this stage of his career.

Why? Not really been on his bingo card for his decade long career. He’s a monetary mercenary and always has been.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

As a supposed Generational Talent, he's played more like a Boy amongst Men in the NFL then the latter.

Nah, he’s been solid, just never lived up to the hype. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

'supposed' talent. His entire career is on film, including his combine. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're trying to be a contrarian but lord have mercy.

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

'supposed' talent. His entire career is on film, including his combine. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're trying to be a contrarian but lord have mercy.

Yeah I don’t think you can be a 10 year starter in the league entering your 11th season and “suck”.

Would he go 1 overall again? No

Would he still be a first round pick? Without a doubt 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah I don’t think you can be a 10 year starter in the league entering your 11th season and “suck”.

He wouldn't go number 1 overall today because people are much better at sussing out attitude issues than they were 10 years ago. Way too much focus on sports psychology.

But he'd be the most physically talented edge prospect of the last decade. Maybe I'm forgetting someone. Montez Sweat and Myles Garratt are the other 2 that come to mind.

18 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He wouldn't go number 1 overall today because people are much better at sussing out attitude issues than they were 10 years ago. Way too much focus on sports psychology.

But he'd be the most physically talented edge prospect of the last decade. Maybe I'm forgetting someone. Montez Sweat and Myles Garratt are the other 2 that come to mind.

https://www.draftcountdown.com/historic/the-best-nfl-draft-prospects-on-all-time-historical-grades-by-shane-p-hallam/#edge

They would agree with you 

1. Mario Williams – 2006
2. Jadeveon Clowney – 2014
3. Will Anderson Jr. 2023
4. Myles Garrett – 2017
5. Von Miller – 2011
6. Chase Young – 2020
7. Joey Bosa – 2016
8. Nick Bosa – 2019
9. Chris Long – 2008
10. Micah Parsons – 2021
11. Khalil Mack – 2014
12. Kayvon Thibodeaux – 2022
13. Leonard Williams – 2015
14. Demarcus Ware – 2005
15. Will Smith – 2004
16. Tyson Jackson – 2009
17. Vernon Gholston – 2008
18. Montez Sweat – 2019
19. Jason Pierre-Paul – 2010
20. Melvin Ingram – 2012
21. Aidan Hutchinson – 2022
22. Aldon Smith – 2011
23. Derek Barnett – 2017
24. Barkevious Mingo – 2013
25. TJ Watt – 2017

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I never said he sucked I said 

Credit to him though for making a career and almost $80M out of being barely average. Serviceable. 

The man has 52 sacks in 10 years. Never had a DBL digit sack season in his career? Not only is he not remotely worthy of all the Generational Hype given, I'd love to know how that's not the definition of Average?

18 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Reading this thread got me wondering what I was watching last season. I didn’t think Clowney was that bad at all for Baltimore? 

Granted he’s on a team with Madubike and Pierce and at times Roquan blitzing, but still, thought he was decent 

I think that's pretty much the general consensus?  Clowney was solid last year.

But that's not what people are talking about here.  It's the fact that motivation can be an issue, and the likelihood that going to a much weaker organization with far less robust defensive players around him, and a couple years of money in the bank...at home...there's a very significant non-zero chance that he takes it easy and doesn't look nearly as solid as he did in a perfect situation and highly motivated in Baltimore.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:36 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

People are oddly high on Oweh being a dude for some reason. Ojabo is basicaly nothing at this point, dude is not ever going to be healthy. If we don't get KVN back we're kinda screwed at EDGE no matter what we do.

Dang I loved Ojabo as a prospect. 

On 3/28/2024 at 1:02 PM, Nabbs4u said:

I never understood the hype with Clowney.   How does Carolina let Burns go then sign Clowney?  They aren't getting better doing that are they?