Panthers sign DE Jadeveon Clowney (2 years, $20M)

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

He had probably the best year of his career last year, but it's reasonable to assume a good part of that was just him finally not being on a dumpster fire franchise and him actually being motivated to play hard. And no offense to Panthers fans but he's going to a team that's probably way closer to those dumpster fire Browns/Seahawks/Texans teams than last year's Ravens team.

Still worth the gamble at this $ IMO but Panthers fans really gotta pray he stays motivated

Browns weren't a dumpster fire while he was here. We had one of his top 2 or 3 season in his career here. 

Dude is a head case and thinks he's as good as Myles but isn't.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

His family is from there and he gets to be close to home and make good money. Seems like a win/win for a mercenary like Clowney who doesn't seem motivated to play for a ring.

True but he does get four times the money he got last year, odd he is not even getting as much as Za'Darius Smith, Clowney I would say was easily a better more dominating player than Smith was last year and they are both the same age.

As for the Ravens not sure how they are going to fill that edge void, especially if Van Noy leaves for more money as well.  Might have to address it in the draft with Darius Robinson or Chop Robinson 1st round potentially.  Doubt they can commit and be set long term with Oweh and Ojabo on the edges as the two starters.  

48 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Browns weren't a dumpster fire while he was here. We had one of his top 2 or 3 season in his career here. 

Maybe not “dumpster fire” but 7-10 and 8-9 seasons and all the Baker drama going on behind the scenes idk it wasn’t exactly a team a guy like Clowney would play super hard for imo

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

True but he does get four times the money he got last year, odd he is not even getting as much as Za'Darius Smith, Clowney I would say was easily a better more dominating player than Smith was last year and they are both the same age.

As for the Ravens not sure how they are going to fill that edge void, especially if Van Noy leaves for more money as well.  Might have to address it in the draft with Darius Robinson or Chop Robinson 1st round potentially.  Doubt they can commit and be set long term with Oweh and Ojabo on the edges as the two starters.  

People are oddly high on Oweh being a dude for some reason. Ojabo is basicaly nothing at this point, dude is not ever going to be healthy. If we don't get KVN back we're kinda screwed at EDGE no matter what we do.

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

People are oddly high on Oweh being a dude for some reason. Ojabo is basicaly nothing at this point, dude is not ever going to be healthy. If we don't get KVN back we're kinda screwed at EDGE no matter what we do.

I like his tape and he was consistently good as a situational rusher last year, whether he breaks out in a contract year is anyone's guess. But a raw prospect like him usually takes a while to develop and I think he can finally do it.

Meh we found scraps off the FA market and turned them into solid edge rushers I trust our coaching staff to figure something out.

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Darius Robinson they should target 1st round, sure he did not run so 4.3 40 like Oweh but the dude is versatile and a solid edge, and played DT at Missouri then moved to edge and could be a good power 3/4 OLB.  Could be a good pickup and security in case Ojabo and Oweh do not pan out.  

8 minutes ago, Xmad said:

I like his tape and he was consistently good as a situational rusher last year, whether he breaks out in a contract year is anyone's guess. But a raw prospect like him usually takes a while to develop and I think he can finally do it.

Meh we found scraps off the FA market and turned them into solid edge rushers I trust our coaching staff to figure something out.

They did not turn Clowney into a solid edge rusher, they were damn lucky to get him last year and he is well worth the money the dude is a super talent.  And really Van Noy has been a pretty versatile and consistent pro especially when he was put back into a more standard 3/4 defense.  They were lucky to get them both for so cheap in a very need position. 

Sucks Clowney is gone though, he was an elite guy on the edge and that basically gave them at elite physically imposing player on the DL Madubuike, Clowney on the edge, in the middle at Smith at ILB, in the middle at safety with Hamilton and on the outside at corner with Humphrey.

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Has there ever been a player more overhyped off 1 play made in college?

Credit to him though for making a career and almost $80M out of being barely average. Serviceable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

surprised he decided to sign with a rebuilding team

I'd reckon rebuilding teams were the only ones willing to go multiple years with him, given his track record.  And he landed with one close to home on good money.

I don't know that i'd feel super great about that recipe if i'm a Panthers fan.  But anyway... 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Tugboat

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Darius Robinson they should target 1st round, sure he did not run so 4.3 40 like Oweh but the dude is versatile and a solid edge, and played DT at Missouri then moved to edge and could be a good power 3/4 OLB.  Could be a good pickup and security in case Ojabo and Oweh do not pan out.  

They did not turn Clowney into a solid edge rusher, they were damn lucky to get him last year and he is well worth the money the dude is a super talent.  And really Van Noy has been a pretty versatile and consistent pro especially when he was put back into a more standard 3/4 defense.  They were lucky to get them both for so cheap in a very need position. 

Sucks Clowney is gone though, he was an elite guy on the edge and that basically gave them at elite physically imposing player on the DL Madubuike, Clowney on the edge, in the middle at Smith at ILB, in the middle at safety with Hamilton and on the outside at corner with Humphrey.

Clowney has always been either lights on or lights off. He was lights on for us this year and I credit that to the coaching staff, there's a reason we signed him for a 1 year deal for basically nothing and then he had the *best* season of his career. Van Noy was simply a solid role player who balled out with the offense's focusing on Clowney and Madubike. We can either develop our dudes or go with cheap vets again and create a solid pass rush.

Reading this thread got me wondering what I was watching last season. I didn’t think Clowney was that bad at all for Baltimore? 

Granted he’s on a team with Madubike and Pierce and at times Roquan blitzing, but still, thought he was decent