Packers D Coordinator Watch

Packerraymond

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I think we're going to see some changes.  You don't miss the playoffs and not see some sort of change.  The last time the Packers missed the playoffs (2009), the Packers fired Bob Sanders and Dom Capers.

They fired Capers?!

43 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Any thoughts on who you'd like to see interviewed ?

Fangio and Chuck Pagano would be my top two choices, also Todd Bowles if he gets fired by the Jets, but it sounds like the players want him back so I don't know if that will happen. 

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

I don't want to hire a former HC. Just please no. DC is the job they can get, not the job they want. Also, hard pass on both Ryan brothers. They aren't worth the headache.

Promotion from within, doesn't work either. The DBs blowing coverages wide open is one of the key problems so that eliminates both db coaches and I don't get the love of Moss. Until Martinez this year, the ILB have been just "ok". Trg is the only assistant I really want to keep.

I would love to see someone like Aranda or Leonhard. When the Packers hired, Capers, I know I had mentioned liking Sean McDermott who was an assistant coach with Philly at the time and they made him DC. That's the kind of hire I want to see.

The position coaches can't be solely blamed for a broken coverage. A broken coverage occurs because someone doesn't understand the language of the check/audible/call that was made and one player runs one coverage well the others do something different. Tech work, development, attitude are all reflections of position coaches, but you can't punish a position coach for the language of a defense he didn't create. Whitt is the guy who made Tramon Williams and Sam Shields, Hayward was a good player for us, he's saved Randall it seems and he made Gunter seem like an acceptable starting CB until he got Julio Jones'd. 

Moss has never really been given anything worth a damn other than Perry and Perry was seen as a bust until Greene left and Moss took over the OLBs too. Jones and Mike Neal were acceptable bench pieces as DL to OLB converts, he used Peppers well and at ILB Martinez and Ryan are fine players.

Trg has done a nice job with what he's been given too.

Of the outside guys, I know it's cliche to want a Patriot, but Brian Flores is the guy I would want. Well rounded (been a pro scout for NE, a ST assistant, coached DBs and LBs) and is young and hungry to be a HC someday. Biggest problem is if he's good, that's a guy who will only last 2-3 years before he is hired away as a HC. 

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Weird question but if you're Fangio, would you even take this job? I wouldn't

It's a good job overall .. I'd think he'd be interested.  McCarthy would let him do his thing.  On Chicago sports radio the other day Hub Arkush mentioned that Fangio is not a big fan of the Midwest though, and that a move back out west would be appealing to him.

19 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's a good job overall .. I'd think he'd be interested.  McCarthy would let him do his thing.  On Chicago sports radio the other day Hub Arkush mentioned that Fangio is not a big fan of the Midwest though, and that a move back out west would be appealing to him.

But a chance to coach with a winning organization that is a serious SB contender with our QB and an improved defense should also be appealing.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

The position coaches can't be solely blamed for a broken coverage. A broken coverage occurs because someone doesn't understand the language of the check/audible/call that was made and one player runs one coverage well the others do something different. Tech work, development, attitude are all reflections of position coaches, but you can't punish a position coach for the language of a defense he didn't create. Whitt is the guy who made Tramon Williams and Sam Shields, Hayward was a good player for us, he's saved Randall it seems and he made Gunter seem like an acceptable starting CB until he got Julio Jones'd. 

Moss has never really been given anything worth a damn other than Perry and Perry was seen as a bust until Greene left and Moss took over the OLBs too. Jones and Mike Neal were acceptable bench pieces as DL to OLB converts, he used Peppers well and at ILB Martinez and Ryan are fine players.

Trg has done a nice job with what he's been given too.

Of the outside guys, I know it's cliche to want a Patriot, but Brian Flores is the guy I would want. Well rounded (been a pro scout for NE, a ST assistant, coached DBs and LBs) and is young and hungry to be a HC someday. Biggest problem is if he's good, that's a guy who will only last 2-3 years before he is hired away as a HC

That is a good thing.  If he is good, then the D should be good and playoff success likelihood is increased.  That should be the goal. 

hiring a less good coach so they are in GB longer seems like bad process from the beginning.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That is a good thing.  If he is good, then the D should be good and playoff success likelihood is increased.  That should be the goal. 

hiring a less good coach so they are in GB longer seems like bad process from the beginning.

I never said it was a bad thing, I would just like to keep every good coach/FO person we have in GB, doing the job they do well. It's a bummer when good people leave your organization.

Archived