The good, the bad, the season is over.

RaidersAreOne

24 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You think Lynch can't run in a power system?

I think he has had the most success in the zone system and when he was given input in the running game those were the changes made, not adding a FB and another lineman and moving to more power. To be fair, I also think the overall playbook and Carr not being super comfortable under center( a fact we bypass alot) had alot to do with it.

Of course, he can run in both styles. Most NFL level backs can. It was a question of what he wanted more and what he was more comfortable doing. The problem is the strength of our line is the opposite of Lynch's strength. You know this stuff Oaktown.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I think he has had the most success in the zone system and when he was given input in the running game those were the changes made, not adding a FB and another lineman and moving to more power. To be fair, I also think the overall playbook and Carr not being super comfortable under center( a fact we bypass alot) had alot to do with it.

Of course, he can run in both styles. Most NFL level backs can. It was a question of what he wanted more and what he was more comfortable doing. The problem is the strength of our line is the opposite of Lynch's strength. You know this stuff Oaktown.

But I think Lynch would rather have better holes and adapt to a different blocking scheme than continue to be hit behind the line of scrimmage over and over. Downing is simply a genius...

On 12/18/2017 at 1:30 PM, big_palooka said:

They only have 1. Conley. Need 2-3 corners. Smith is about done. Amerson need re-structured or released. Everything else is fringe roster quality. 

To be really good? Yeah but i think if they add another solid CB the defense would at least be middle of the road which is all they need. 

14 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Now I know some of it is dependent on the level of your opponent but since Pagano has taken over we would rank 8th in yards allowed and 5th in points allowed.

Obviously we've played against some below average offences recently but I think the difference is that even when we were playing terrible offences previously under Ken Norton we were making them look good. At least we're at the stage now where we look decent against bad offences and get sacks and turnovers when we should, and that is with minimal time to add wrinkles and no time to implement his preferred scheme. I also noticed we adjusted really well the last couple games, particularly against the Cowboys where what was working initially for them was completely shut down in the 2nd half. There has been clear improvement in play on the defensive side since Pagano has taken over and it seems sensible to see what he can do with an off season to implement and upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Obviously we've played against some below average offences recently but I think the difference is that even when we were playing terrible offences previously under Ken Norton we were making them look good. At least we're at the stage now where we look decent against bad offences and get sacks and turnovers when we should, and that is with minimal time to add wrinkles and no time to implement his preferred scheme. I also noticed we adjusted really well the last couple games, particularly against the Cowboys where what was working initially for them was completely shut down in the 2nd half. There has been clear improvement in play on the defensive side since Pagano has taken over and it seems sensible to see what he can do with an off season to implement and upgrade. 

Do you fault JDR for not addressing the defensive issues earlier? It was clear last season KNJ was a dud. But he stuck with him well past his expiration date.

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:
3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Do you fault JDR for not addressing the defensive issues earlier? It was clear last season KNJ was a dud. But he stuck with him well past his expiration date.

Yes, I do hold him responsible for having too much loyalty to KNJ when things clearly weren't working out and that was a fault and an error in judgement. I was one of the few who doubted the Ken Norton hiring from the start but liked the Musgrave hiring - there weren't many of us in that camp at the time of the hiring but if I recall but I think you were of a similar opinion too.

However, I do think that it's strange that he was so ready to let Musgrave go and so loyal to KNJ, and that there are probably more forces at work in the FO than just a bad hire by Del Rio. If it turns out Del Rio is solely responsible for hiring KNJ, then letting Musgrave go and further promoting Todd Downing then all 3 would be bad decisions and set us back horribly, they would be justification for a HC change. I doubt it's as black and white as that though and I can't imagine Reggie and Mark (with his advisers) not having significant input also.

Something I noticed while watching the All-22 is Carr's early 4th quarter completion to Roberts -- the one where Lawrence got his hand on the ball -- was probably one of the luckiest plays of the year.

From what I can tell, Carr was gearing up to throw a prayer to Holton in double coverage. Overall, not a great game by Carr.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Overall, not a great game by Carr.

Not a great year by him. Can probably count on one hand the games I would consider good games from him this year.

Carr and Mariota have to be two of the most disappointing QBs this year. Funny how much those two careers have somewhat mirrored one another the last year 

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Something I noticed while watching the All-22 is Carr's early 4th quarter completion to Roberts -- the one where Lawrence got his hand on the ball -- was probably one of the luckiest plays of the year.

From what I can tell, Carr was gearing up to throw a prayer to Holton in double coverage. Overall, not a great game by Carr.

Since I respect your opinion and scouting ability, after watching the coaches film, what would you say were his biggest flaws? Missing open WRs? Not letting the play develop? Inaccuracy? Bad decisions overall? 

1 hour ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Since I respect your opinion and scouting ability, after watching the coaches film, what would you say were his biggest flaws? Missing open WRs? Not letting the play develop? Inaccuracy? Bad decisions overall? 

Just my opinion.... but his clock is broken right now. He is so quick to throw the ball on the first read. He's not letting plays develop often times and not finding the open receiver. 

2 hours ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

From what I can tell, it's a lack of comfort. It's not talked about much this season, but the offense has gone through quite a bit of turnover from last year to this. He's rookie year #1 receiver, tight end, and running back left. I'd say the biggest depreciation has been swapping Holmes for Holton. At times last season, Carr would confide in Holmes on the field when neither Cooper or Crabtree were getting it done.

Play calling wise, the absence of the 4 and 5 vertical calls has mitigated the amount of big plays Carr gets. Carr has never been a pin point passer down after down and often making a big play down field would bring him to life. Carr's not the type of quarterback who can string completions together for 10-15 play drives consistently so getting chunk plays of 20+ yards was a big boon to the offense that has been largely absent this year.

I think how defenses are playing the Raiders this season compared to last hasn't helped things, either. I have to look back game by game, but 2-high has been a silver bullet against the passing offense going back to last season.

Archived