What to do with pick 25

I mean, if you just look at the numbers it's clear that the 25th pick is usually traded, something like 12 of the last 15 drafts it was.  This is probably because the 25th pick belongs to the team that won a playoff game that had the worst regular season record of the four teams eliminated in the divisional weekend, so if you have that pick you're some quantum superposition of "good" and "not good."

Teams are either going to move up from 25 to target specific players/positions, or move back to get more value.  I'm just not seeing who exactly it would be that the Packers move up for this year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, if you just look at the numbers it's clear that the 25th pick is usually traded, something like 12 of the last 15 drafts it was.  This is probably because the 25th pick belongs to the team that won a playoff game that had the worst regular season record of the four teams eliminated in the divisional weekend, so if you have that pick you're some quantum superposition of "good" and "not good."

Teams are either going to move up from 25 to target specific players/positions, or move back to get more value.  I'm just not seeing who exactly it would be that the Packers move up for this year.

I think there is a very strong list of guys that we are looking at with that pick.

Wouldn't shock me if we traded back because of how close all those guys stack up.

19 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

This doesnt do it for me. First next year may be worse than our first this year. 2rp this yr and maybe i would think about it. 

66% chance it's better, and two 1s is better than one. Denver is rumored to love Nix and they don't have a 2nd rounder to offer. Could be a prime candidate for next year's 1st and 3rd

32 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

66% chance it's better, and two 1s is better than one. Denver is rumored to love Nix and they don't have a 2nd rounder to offer. Could be a prime candidate for next year's 1st and 3rd

Two ones is the same as one plus one ones. But one in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

You would have to feel that next years draft class is better, confident the trade partner will be bad this year, or the horizon of contracts to come aligns better with two picks next year than a pick this year. 

Need to get guys in and developing this year so they are ready for the run in 2025.

8 hours ago, smetana34 said:

I'd take it.  Denver sucks balls.  That 1 next year would be gold.  Top 5 pick at a minimum.  Imagine what Gute could do with that kind of ammo.   Skip the 3rd and have them throw in Surtain!  

Edited by Scoremore

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

I'd take it.  Denver sucks balls.  That 1 next year would be gold.  Top 5 pick at a minimum.  Imagine what Gute could do with that kind of ammo.   Skip the 3rd and have them throw in Surtain!  

Top 5 might be rich but I’d be surprised if Denver even sniffed the playoffs this year. An early 1st rounder to go with the Packers also picking at 32 could make for a fun draft in GB next year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Heck, I'd trade #25 for Surtain.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Two ones is the same as one plus one ones. But one in the hand is worth two in the bush. 

You would have to feel that next years draft class is better, confident the trade partner will be bad this year, or the horizon of contracts to come aligns better with two picks next year than a pick this year. 

Need to get guys in and developing this year so they are ready for the run in 2025.

There's a lot of promising second and third year players on this roster, and not really a direct path to playing time for any rookies outside of one safety position and maybe an OL. My thoughts is push the top pick back a year, give them a year to develop further, see which players progress and regress, and address whatever holes arise next year. Right now I don't see any that need filling, and with the hypothetical trade we'd gain another early 3rd this year to go with the other 2nds and 3rds. That's still plenty of ammo to add quality players and depth this weekend. It takes two to tango, and I don't even know if the values line up, but it sounds appealing in my head

At 25. There will be no plug and play OTs left. We don’t need TEs. No elite RBs in this draft, Interior offensive line can be had later, no safeties worth taking, linebackers are suspect in round 1 this year, Not really a great draft for the DL, and the best corners will be off the board. So we take an elite prospect with a RAS score of 9.90, a guy who has a strong build, can make contested catches in the red zone , can get deep, drops nothing, the new tackling rules will make him harder to bring down, overlooked because of the depth of the position, Gutey loves upside athletes. Don’t fool yourself Wr isn’t as set as everyone thinks and Watson is injury prone. We don’t have this type yet but we will ….Xavier Legette. Shock the packer world

Plugging in pick 25 here:

https://espnanalytics.com/draft-predictor/draft_predictor_by_pick.html

Chance that Penix is available is over 20%.  To me that's the reason to trade down for someone who wants him (NE at 34? Arizona at 27?)

Then you have Laitu/Verse at over 20% and a small chance at byron murphy and Troy Fautanu.  In all, I think it's more likely than not that one of these players will be there even though the consensus is that they won't.

The fallback for me is Guyton.  DeJean will be long gone.