What to do with pick 25

4 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Am i the only one who pronounces his name so that Jean sounds like Sean (ie. Jean Paul).  I know midwesterners pronounce words super weird like Des Plaines.  

I go the Grey Poupon route, but I’ve always been somewhat of a sophisticate. 

• Like 1

Trade it to a team trying to get back into the 1st for one of the last QBs  Get their first next year, their 3rd this year, and call it good. Reevaluate next year with the extra high pick in hand. There isn't much this team needs, and we know how much things can change in a year; some players progress, some don't. Would still have five picks in the first 100 to add depth and competition this year

6 hours ago, smetana34 said:

Trade it to a team trying to get back into the 1st for one of the last QBs  Get their first next year, their 3rd this year, and call it good. Reevaluate next year with the extra high pick in hand. There isn't much this team needs, and we know how much things can change in a year; some players progress, some don't. Would still have five picks in the first 100 to add depth and competition this year

This doesnt do it for me. First next year may be worse than our first this year. 2rp this yr and maybe i would think about it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

This doesnt do it for me. First next year may be worse than our first this year. 2rp this yr and maybe i would think about it. 

smetana's suggestion is already a stretch.  There isn't a team giving up their 2nd this year and a FRP next year.

Did you notice in Gute presser that he mentioned a few times about trading back!!!! That message was to other GMs he is open to business and stop low ballin'!!!!

When messing around on sims this draft feels so much better when you trade back into the 2nd and pick up a few extra picks. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Did you notice in Gute presser that he mentioned a few times about trading back!!!! That message was to other GMs he is open to business and stop low ballin'!!!!

When messing around on sims this draft feels so much better when you trade back into the 2nd and pick up a few extra picks. 

We're in the misinformation season. Gute publicly talking about wanting to trade down might mean he's looking to trade up. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Am i the only one who pronounces his name so that Jean sounds like Sean (ie. Jean Paul).  I know midwesterners pronounce words super weird like Des Plaines.  

If it looks like a Micah Hyde, it moves like a Micah Hyde, and Iowas like a Micah Hyde, I pronounce it "Micah Hyde."

• Like 1

It could be both. Trade up from 25, trade back from 41, or trade back from 25 and up from 41.

I don't really think Gute really has any idea. He probably has 10+ different ideas for 10+ scenarios but actual draft day will be something he didn't expect.

As CWood has noted, Gute has often used 4ths in tradeups.  Our 4th may be too little to jump to 22, but per charts would be enough for 23.  

Vikes sit at 23, and may not like to trade with us.  But they may trade 23 in QB pursuit.  But yeah, those conversations probably need to be happening pretty much in the moment, since Gute doesn't know who will be left at 23 yet, and may not know who'll have that pick until well into Thursday night.  

I think Gute is more likely to trade down from 25 because the value simply isn’t there. He said in the presser yesterday that if you trade up, you have to be sure it’s for the type of player you can’t get later. I can’t think of really anyone in this draft that that fits the bill for, outside of the top 15, which we are not going that high for. 

I feel like any tackle you trade up to ~20 for isn’t significantly better than what you can get in round 2 or just stay and pick at 25. Ditto with corner. They just aren’t going to drop far enough to make the juice worth the squeeze, I think. 

I like DeJean, but would I trade up for him? He’s still got warts. He feels like fine value at 25, but it’s wait and see. 

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Trading back into the second and then trading up in the third or back up into the second does feel better than stick and pick. Definitely get your competition in all the rooms and are able to ‘raise the floor’ in a bunch of position groups.

13 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Ya there isnt a team getting 25 then 

There hasn't been an example of a team getting a 2nd and a future 1st for a pick in 20s in the last ten tears. 

In 2019 Washington traded #26 to Indianapolis for #46 and their 2020 second round pick.