What to do with pick 25

Running the ESPN sim thing multiple times there have been occasions where Barton is gone, and DeJean is gone, and Murphy is gone and the crop of players remaining in my eyes seem equal value and a trade down if available seems really very tempting. 

13 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I just don't see any good reason to trade up from 25. The most upgradeable positions on the roster are ILB, SS, RG, and RB.  In any draft, but especially this one, that screams "trade back to get as many day 2 picks as you can."

If you can get to 20 for DeJean, Fautanu or Barton, I think you do it. 

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Agree with Fautanu but not the other two. Get them at 25 or not at all. 

Depends entirely on how Gute's tiers are set.  If it's pick 20, and those are the last 3 guys from Gute's highest remaining tier, he'll be making some calls.  If there are still 5-6 guys left that he has rated on the same tier, he'll let things play out and pick from whoever is left at pick 25.  I just see the 20-25 range as likely to be where one of Gute's tiers dries up, so I can imagine him making a small trade up to get his remaining guy.

50 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Depends entirely on how Gute's tiers are set.  If it's pick 20, and those are the last 3 guys from Gute's highest remaining tier, he'll be making some calls.  If there are still 5-6 guys left that he has rated on the same tier, he'll let things play out and pick from whoever is left at pick 25.  I just see the 20-25 range as likely to be where one of Gute's tiers dries up, so I can imagine him making a small trade up to get his remaining guy.

If there is 3 guys left in a tier and 5 picks left I would think that’s fairly good odds one is still there. Team tiers will all be different. I’d rather keep that day 2 pick when he sees 2 of his guys from a high tier sliding into the late 2nd/3rd

16 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I just don't see any good reason to trade up from 25. The most upgradeable positions on the roster are ILB, SS, RG, and RB.  In any draft, but especially this one, that screams "trade back to get as many day 2 picks as you can."

Unless a "BPA at a position of greater or lesser need" slides to #25, I too favor a bit of a trade-down, though only one still within the 1st round so as to still get that 5th year option on the player. However, if they traded up from #25, I'd hope it is just for a prospect they see as an immediate starter his first year that they think could shore up a position and have an immediate impact. Who might they think fits that bill that they might be able to get with a modest trade-up (e.g., Rams at #19)? I'd think think a DB like Mitchell, Arnold, or DeJean. Or an OLineman like Barton. But if they think they can't make a modest trade-up to get one of those, then yes, I hope they can manage a trade-down, say with the Chiefs. 

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Kind of my point, Fautana is in a tier higher than the other two for me. 

• Like 1

This sub is addicted to getting that Jaire Alexander trade down again. I would put money on at least 1 or maybe even 2 trade ups in the first 2 days. If we do trade down in the 1st round I expect a ton of moving around in round 2.

I think Gute is coming into this draft with a ton of day 2 picks and will move them around to get his guys. 

• Like 1

The more I look at Barton, the more I think he's a viable option at 25 more than a few others. I'd drink the Kool-Aid so long as we're not too concerned with his production in the run game.

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

This sub is addicted to getting that Jaire Alexander trade down again. I would put money on at least 1 or maybe even 2 trade ups in the first 2 days. If we do trade down in the 1st round I expect a ton of moving around in round 2.

I think Gute is coming into this draft with a ton of day 2 picks and will move them around to get his guys. 

Agreed and I can't help but think we're drafting to develop in this draft rather than drafting to make an immediate impact unless we see a particular player we like. The draft-n-develop approach will definitely be applied to whichever OL are drafted at any point in the draft unless it's Barton who immediately starts at RG IMHO. I don't trade up in the first unless Jared Verse and/or Amarius Mims are still on the board at 21.

15 hours ago, Spartacus said:

I'm refining the area where my favourite prospects are going. Usually I want lots of picks really early in round 2, but not this year, though.

Currently, I want as many picks in the 55-75 range as possible for LB P.Wilson or J.Colson, DL B.Fiske, K.Jenkins or R.Orhorhoro, CB M.Sainristil, T.J.Tampa or M.Melton, Safety J.Bullard, J.Hicks or C.Bishop, Edge M.Kneeland, OT K.Amegadjie, to name some of the possibilities.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'm refining the area where my favourite prospects are going. Usually I want lots of picks really early in round 2, but not this year though.

Currently, I want as many picks in the 55-75 range as possible for LB Wilson or Colson, DL B.Fiske, K.Jenkins or R.Orhorhoro, CB M.Sainristil, T.J.Tampa or M.Melton, Safety J.Bullard, J.Hicks or C.Bishop, Edge M.Kneeland, OT K.Amegadjie, to name some of the possibilities.

Fully agree.   That 40/50 -> 80ish is a really good depth portion with a lot of good players that would work well for GB

Edited by squire12