What to do with pick 25

14 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Trade far enough back to get an extra first next year.

Why?  It had better be good .. a 1st rounder next year is like a 2nd this year .. it loses value being pushed forward.  I just don't see them doing that with the picks they have.  Move up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with their very bottom tier extra picks to improve the team.  

7 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Its not a terrible idea as you get extra value for having to wait a year to cash in. However there is a huge difference between, say, a top 10 pick next year and a low pick in the round. Part of evaluating the trade, perhaps the biggest thing, is projecting where you think that first you traded for next year next year, will be.

On 4/12/2024 at 9:10 PM, OzPackfan said:

What would everyone's thoughts be on trading up to say Pick 12 with Denver.

Say its picks 25, 58 and 91 for Pick 12 and 147?

There's really nobody worth moving up for.  I'd probably be more interested in moving back into the early 2nd round and elevating either our 3rd or 4th round picks...something like 25/91/126 for 35/66/104.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

That always sounds great in theory, but the practicality of it is that it rarely ever happens.  Teams aren't coughing up future FRPs when they're trading up outside of the top 10.  I believe the last time a team gave up a future FRP that wasn't trading inside the top 10 or for their QBOTF was 2007 when the 49ers traded their '08 FRP plus a 4th round pick in 2007 for the Patriots' pick at #28.  The 49ers struggled that year and ended up sending the #7 pick to New England in 2008.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That always sounds great in theory, but the practicality of it is that it rarely ever happens.  Teams aren't coughing up future FRPs when they're trading up outside of the top 10.  I believe the last time a team gave up a future FRP that wasn't trading inside the top 10 or for their QBOTF was 2007 when the 49ers traded their '08 FRP plus a 4th round pick in 2007 for the Patriots' pick at #28.  The 49ers struggled that year and ended up sending the #7 pick to New England in 2008.

I think there's a possibility of extracting considerable compensation from Denver if they don't take a QB at 12 and want to move from 76 to get a QB.  That sort of move would cost a future FRP and Denver could be real bad next year.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's really nobody worth moving up for.  I'd probably be more interested in moving back into the early 2nd round and elevating either our 3rd or 4th round picks...something like 25/91/126 for 35/66/104.

Of course there are guys worth moving up for. There are in every draft. The problem is we don't really know who.

But probably our staff does.

Edited by incognito_man

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

In 2018 Packers traded 14 to NO for 27 and their 2019 FRP. They took Marcus Davenport at 14, we still traded back up to get JA at 18 that year.

The 2019 pick was 30, which we bundled with two 4ths to get Savage at 21, exactly one pick before Dillard and three picks before the run of Josh Jacobs, Hollywood Brown and Montez Sweat. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Of course there are guys worth moving up for. There are in every draft. The problem is we don't really know who.

But probably our staff does.

Listening to Gute's comments the other day seemed to suggest the Packers weren't interested in moving up the board at least not significantly.  I can't imagine they're interested in giving up much in the way of draft value to do so.

4 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think there's a possibility of extracting considerable compensation from Denver if they don't take a QB at 12 and want to move from 76 to get a QB.  That sort of move would cost a future FRP and Denver could be real bad next year.

Agree, but I can't see Payton passing on a QB at 12.   Possible but unlikely.  I think if that QB he likes is there he'll take him even if it means overdrafting him.

17 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree, but I can't see Payton passing on a QB at 12.   Possible but unlikely.  I think if that QB he likes is there he'll take him even if it means overdrafting him.

Penix and Nix seem to be the consensus for 2nd/3rd tier QBs. Minnesota has two frps to go for their guy so doubt Denver can compete for the top 8 picks. It will be interesting to see how far teams stretch to get a QB.  I hope it all falls apart for al of them as GB continues to build Love's HoF resume.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think if Gute goes up it will be for Arnold or Mitchell.  It would only be if one of them slipped far enough into the 18-23 range.  

Unless somebody slips to 25,  I think a trade back is more likely.

6 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Why would Denver feel comfortable giving up a future FRP but not taking that same QB at 12?  Unless there's some elite prospect (i.e. Joe Alt, Malik Nabers, etc.) sitting at their pick, I'd assume that if they truly believed that that a QB available was their guy they'd take him at 12 and not hope he falls to where they can trade up for him.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Listening to Gute's comments the other day seemed to suggest the Packers weren't interested in moving up the board at least not significantly.  I can't imagine they're interested in giving up much in the way of draft value to do so.

I could see Gute moving up 5 spots or so in RD1 to maybe land one of the OL's he has in a higher tier, but not much more than that.