What to do with pick 25

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I just don't see the value in doing that in the 1st round. If I pick a Tackle I would prefer him to play Tackle. Now if he was a 3rd/4th rounder, I'm less bothered.

Fair enough.  I'd be pretty thrilled with Fautanu, though, as a tackle/guard guy in the first.  Moreso than Barton.

How do you feel about JPJ?  Center that can play guard?  I like the value of that very much in the first round, given that we are near the end of the Myers contract.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think it's a given that any OL taken by GB in RD1 would be given an opportunity to compete at T.  If it doesn't work out, they'd move inside.  I don't imagine Gute would take an OL in RD1 if he doesn't believe they can play T.

As a general rule, I agree.  As the outlier, I'd pound the table for JPJ.  He's no tackle, but that's a great center who can certainly play guard if he had to.

• Like 2

I’m in the trade down camp but only because I admit I don’t know **** and most indications are this is a very solid draft on day 2. Hope we get some starters there. If Gute and the gang have another good to very good draft to stack on top of the past 2, we start a dynasty. 

6 hours ago, spilltray said:

I think it's a better year to trade up to get whoever the guy of your choices is rather than whoever falls to you at say OT for example. They have extra picks and not all that many holes.

I agree, I feel like this might be the type of year/draft that Gute wants to move up.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Fair enough.  I'd be pretty thrilled with Fautanu, though, as a tackle/guard guy in the first.  Moreso than Barton.

How do you feel about JPJ?  Center that can play guard?  I like the value of that very much in the first round, given that we are near the end of the Myers contract.

I understand taking oline, as being BPA but I would take a Centre like Van Pran or whatever his name is later in the draft or if I wanted a Guard I'd go Haynes or Robinson again later on. If we had a need for OT then this year would be great to get one. I just don't see we have need for one except as a back up and I think that is over kill in the 1st

I think It's like the year we drafted Ja - except we had a better pick so we moved back (but we also moved up from a similar spot). We'll figure out how to get Dejean. If it's too expensive we'll move back and take Morgan. If there's no options we pick someone like Wiggins, or whoever is our BPA. Also I like Barton better, but him at 25 (where I think you'd have to take him) is much less value than Morgan at 30-41), only difference. 

Edited by oldmansmell

17 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I understand taking oline, as being BPA but I would take a Centre like Van Pran or whatever his name is later in the draft or if I wanted a Guard I'd go Haynes or Robinson again later on. If we had a need for OT then this year would be great to get one. I just don't see we have need for one except as a back up and I think that is over kill in the 1st

JPJ isn't just a center he's IOL.  By taking him, you are getting the best IOL in the draft.  You can start him immediately at RG.  And then when Myers contract is up, if you cannot reach a new deal, JPJ slides in there.

Or....JPJ takes the center job right away, because he is just that good.  Myers fights it out with Rhyan for RG.

I like Van Pran, too, don't get me wrong, but JPJ's IOL tape is just a lot better than everyone else's.  Smoother, cleaner, and he's just so powerful.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 9:24 AM, Mazrimiv said:

I think it's a given that any OL taken by GB in RD1 would be given an opportunity to compete at T.  If it doesn't work out, they'd move inside.  I don't imagine Gute would take an OL in RD1 if he doesn't believe they can play T.

This. Barton could absolutely stick at tackle, for example. But he has a chance to start week one at G, which would not necessarily diminish his year 1 value. 

Or perhaps Gute isnt as high on Walker at LT than many of us are and Barton competes with him in TC instead. 

I think I'm more excited for this draft than any in a few years 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Sandy said:

This. Barton could absolutely stick at tackle, for example. But he has a chance to start week one at G, which would not necessarily diminish his year 1 value. 

Or perhaps Gute isnt as high on Walker at LT than many of us are and Barton competes with him in TC instead. 

Barton and JPJ would be great picks there. The project tackles, eh, unless they’ll be similar to Barton and JPJ in being able to play guard right away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

Is that because if we nail the draft, we are Super Bowl contenders? That's the way I see it. I good draft with a handful of year 1 contributors and we are definitely among the few teams with legitimate Super Bowl chance. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Is that because if we nail the draft, we are Super Bowl contenders? That's the way I see it. I good draft with a handful of year 1 contributors and we are definitely among the few teams with legitimate Super Bowl chance. 

They are already legitimate SB contenders. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, R T said:

They are already legitimate SB contenders. 

Not with the roster as it stands today. Thus, my comment we need some contributors. We have legitimate holes at LB and S for sure right now. We need to come out of this draft with about 5 contributors. 

We absolutely should to that and we will be in the conversation.