2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

1 hour ago, craig said:

Dumb question.  Going back to 2-weeks-ago discussion about LS and anchor, then watching that blocked punt versus 49ers. 

Q:  Do all teams do it like the Packers did there:  all of the blockers being safeties/linebackers/TE?  Guys who can run downfield and tackle the punt return guy, even if they don't have much anchor for protecting the punter?  Or do some teams use some bigger guys, maybe even o-linemen, to protect the punter; guys who are then useless at chasing and tackling the return guy?  

I would say the typical weight cutoff for Punt Coverage is almost 280 as long as your speed is still exceptional. The only guys I've known that have been above that weight and working punt coverage were Long Snappers of the heavier variety. Rob Davis was one such individual... and a Hall of Famer who also makes such a list is Bruce Matthews.

You're far more likely to see OL on Punt Coverage in Madden Games, as they typically programmed the interior 5 spots on the coverage line to be hardwired to the OL depth chart(and EA being EA, I'm fairly sure they never bothered to 'adjust' that quirk).

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Lots of pec injuries this year .. first coach LaFleur and now Tucker Kraft and Zach Tom.  Kraft and Tom are out until training camp.  The hope is to get them back around that time. 

So here's what I know: (disclaimer: just word of mouth). Kraft's now "grandfather-in-law" lives in my Dad's development (my Dad actually built his house). A few weeks ago he came by and made a comment to my Dad (who lives in the same development) about how Kraft might "be in a sling" for his wedding because he and "two other players" suffered pec injuries, working out with the same strength/conditioning coach. 

I partly didn't buy it at the time because this guy (he's obviously older) claimed that GB actually "fired" this unknown coach/trainer over it. Obviously, haven't seen any news about that, so no idea whether it's true or not. He also didn't mention who the other players were but said Kraft had surgery for the injury and was going to be out for about 6 weeks or so before being able to get back at it. Looks like the old man was actually being truthful and Tom is one of the casualties. 

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So here's what I know: (disclaimer: just word of mouth). Kraft's now "grandfather-in-law" lives in my Dad's development (my Dad actually built his house). A few weeks ago he came by and made a comment to my Dad (who lives in the same development) about how Kraft might "be in a sling" for his wedding because he and "two other players" suffered pec injuries, working out with the same strength/conditioning coach. 

I partly didn't buy it at the time because this guy (he's obviously older) claimed that GB actually "fired" this unknown coach/trainer over it. Obviously, haven't seen any news about that, so no idea whether it's true or not. He also didn't mention who the other players were but said Kraft had surgery for the injury and was going to be out for about 6 weeks or so before being able to get back at it. Looks like the old man was actually being truthful and Tom is one of the casualties. 

have both Jenkins and Tucker been working out in GB facilities this offseason? I assumed players were doing their own things in the offseason.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

have both Jenkins and Tucker been working out in GB facilities this offseason? I assumed players were doing their own things in the offseason.

All the players come back in the NFL buildings in mid-April for phase 1 of OTA's. This phase where they're actually on the field in phase 3 of OTA's I believe. Phase 1 is usually just S&C work. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I would highly doubt anything a S&C coach did caused these injuries. 

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would highly doubt anything a S&C coach did caused these injuries. 

Yea no idea. LIS, I was surprised even this much was true and secretly was hoping th guy was crazy regarding the injury part. I just told my Dad to walk down to his house and get some more intel lol. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea no idea. LIS, I was surprised even this much was true and secretly was hoping th guy was crazy regarding the injury part. I just told my Dad to walk down to his house and get some more intel lol. 

The fact that they're going to be ready for camp means we're most likely looking at partial tears. That **** just happens when you're in this phase of the season when you're pushing your body to the limits to get bigger/faster/stronger. This is the "gains" time of year for these guys. Once July hits it will ramp into more of an injury prevention style of S&C then. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The fact that they're going to be ready for camp means we're most likely looking at partial tears. That **** just happens when you're in this phase of the season when you're pushing your body to the limits to get bigger/faster/stronger. This is the "gains" time of year for these guys. Once July hits it will ramp into more of an injury prevention style of S&C then. 

No doubt this is the "bulking" time, where the amount of running in camp and then rigors of the season mean these guys don't just try to set personal records in the weight room in November.  I remember Woodson who was a pure pro would always come in pretty thick in camp and work his way down to playing weight.

Still, the old "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action" does apply.  I guarantee someone had some 'splaing to do if three guys blew out their pecs. I'm sure every work out is documented thoroughly  and even if no one is at fault, they want to see if there is a cause to the  pattern.

24 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Just know we will now be calling on you for inside info from the old codger for the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Rob Demovsky -   Actually Tucker Kraft is here but not practicing. Has an arm in a sling.

Strange...A BBQ team that I follow on FB just catered Kraft's wedding rehearsal this last weekend. I didn't see his arm in a sling in the pics that I saw posted.

1 hour ago, Tperk said:

Strange...A BBQ team that I follow on FB just catered Kraft's wedding rehearsal this last weekend. I didn't see his arm in a sling in the pics that I saw posted.

It's on their Patreon page.

• Like 1