2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You also have to take into account position changes to get those, "best five," on the field. You are moving two people from their current position to accomplish this. That very likely makes both of them less effective. 

that is what the best collective 5 as a unit is.  

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

You also have to take into account position changes to get those, "best five," on the field. You are moving two people from their current position to accomplish this. That very likely makes both of them less effective. 

I still don't understand all the animus around here for Josh Myers. Not you specifically, but he's not as bad as everyone tries to make him out to be. 

People downgrade him because we passed on Creed Humphry and selected him. 

I know people hate PFF, but he's a high 50's/low 60's graded player for each of his three seasons as a starter.  He's pretty mediocre as a starting C.  It doesn't have anything to do with Creed Humphrey. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I know people hate PFF, but he's a high 50's/low 60's graded player for each of his three seasons as a starter.  He's pretty mediocre as a starting C.  It doesn't have anything to do with Creed Humphrey. 

We havent protected Myers. We give him big boy assignments and get him into space pretty often.

There's a reason the staff all are adamant that Josh is the guy when theyre asked. He's part of the best 5 we can field no doubt. No mistake he's not an All-Pro because he has some gaffes from time to time and he's not super clean with his tech, but he's strong and moves well and that's what were going for.

PFF sucks.

• Like 1

Myers whiffs too much for my liking. If he wants to sign long-term for 7-9m, I'm good. If he wants more than 10, he can be replaced. 

As far as our best 5, Jenkins is not being moved. Tom has a pec injury and won't be ready until August, therefore he's playing the same position as he knows from last year, RT. Myers is the center this year, and that's fine. LT and RG are where the competition is going to be, based on spring ball, Walker is leaps ahead of Morgan. The question will be whether they want Morgan at LT/RT as #6 off the bench or they'll give that role to Dillard and play Morgan at OG in camp to see if he beats out Rhyan.

Overall I don't anticipate any changes from last years line to this years. Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Rhyan-Tom. Morgan, Dillard, Newman, Monk as the depth. 

• Like 5

Myers playing C in 2024 gives the staff/FO more time and tape to determine how hard they'll be trying to sign him to a 2nd contract.  From the outside, it seems like that decision hasn't been made yet.  It would be one thing if there was already a clear-cut successor in place, but there isn't. If GB decides to let Myers walk next March, that's fine.  As of right now, they don't seem especially well positioned to plug in an immediate replacement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Myers whiffs too much for my liking. If he wants to sign long-term for 7-9m, I'm good. If he wants more than 10, he can be replaced. 

As far as our best 5, Jenkins is not being moved. Tom has a pec injury and won't be ready until August, therefore he's playing the same position as he knows from last year, RT. Myers is the center this year, and that's fine. LT and RG are where the competition is going to be, based on spring ball, Walker is leaps ahead of Morgan. The question will be whether they want Morgan at LT/RT as #6 off the bench or they'll give that role to Dillard and play Morgan at OG in camp to see if he beats out Rhyan.

Overall I don't anticipate any changes from last years line to this years. Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Rhyan-Tom. Morgan, Dillard, Newman, Monk as the depth. 

You had me until you put Newman’s name in here. No way I can pay that stiff 3.2 million. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Perhaps, but didn't MLF say he'd be good to go for camp?

23 hours ago, squire12 said:

OL play is more than just best individual 5, but best collective 5 as a unit.

That was my point. It’s not best 5 its best 5 with play at a certain position. Morgan could turn out to be one of the best 5 if he were to stay at LT but not if he plays at RG

• Like 1

On 7/2/2024 at 2:36 PM, Old Guy said:

You had me until you put Newman’s name in here. No way I can pay that stiff 3.2 million. 

Agreed, Lecitus Smith is beating him out at RG and Jordan Morgan is over the both of them.

On 7/2/2024 at 12:53 PM, Packerraymond said:

On 7/2/2024 at 1:33 PM, Mazrimiv said:

Myers playing C in 2024 gives the staff/FO more time and tape to determine how hard they'll be trying to sign him to a 2nd contract.  From the outside, it seems like that decision hasn't been made yet.  It would be one thing if there was already a clear-cut successor in place, but there isn't. If GB decides to let Myers walk next March, that's fine.  As of right now, they don't seem especially well positioned to plug in an immediate replacement.

Lecitus Smith and Jacob Monk are the other two Centers for now; one's a journeyman with significant, but not stellar experience and the other is a bit of a lottery ticket at the moment. Athletically, the knock on Myers coming out was his play speed. I felt he had a very low ceiling coming out, but he hasn't been the disaster I expected him to be either probably due to exceptional coaching. It doesn't look like there are a lot of solid Center prospects in next year's draft so we may need to sit on him for another year.

On 7/4/2024 at 5:10 PM, Rosser80 said:

Agreed, Lecitus Smith is beating him out at RG and Jordan Morgan is over the both of them.

Lecitus Smith and Jacob Monk are the other two Centers for now; one's a journeyman with significant, but not stellar experience and the other is a bit of a lottery ticket at the moment. Athletically, the knock on Myers coming out was his play speed. I felt he had a very low ceiling coming out, but he hasn't been the disaster I expected him to be either probably due to exceptional coaching. It doesn't look like there are a lot of solid Center prospects in next year's draft so we may need to sit on him for another year.

Lecitus Smith is a camp body. He's got two hundred snaps. He doesn't have significant experience. 

+++

As far as the Myers take . . . what the hell are you talking about?