2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Dubose has been cooking the last couple of days. 

I don't know if anyone will give up a pick or a player for one of our wideouts, but it's looking like a good player or two won't make it to our final roster.  

20 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I love hearing that the D keeps making picks .. seems like we have a stout defense and practicing against it will help our offense when it matters most.

The Packers defense always looks great in training camp

Edited by Mazrimiv

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't know if anyone will give up a pick or a player for one of our wideouts, but it's looking like a good player or two won't make it to our final roster.  

Like I said earlier in the offseason.  Between DuBose, Heath, and Toure, we will be cutting at least two rosterable WRs.  And it wouldn't be a complete shocker if that turned into all three.  Not that we are cutting starters, but these guys are good enough to make the bottom of the roster most of the time.  But we are in a situation where not only is the pass catching group pretty deep, the rest of the roster is pretty deep too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Dubose has been cooking the last couple of days. 

He had my favorite trait of all our rookie WRs last year with his balance. He stays or pops right up like one of those punching bag clown everytime he gets hit/tackled on his college highlight reel. He's never on the ground for more than a split second.  Not even sure how much that translates into being a good football player but it's really fun to watch if you look for it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Morgan turning into an elite pass blocking Guard would be an exciting outcome. If the only reason he's struggling with power is because guys get a running start on him, that would be delightful. 

If our OL is better than last year? Look out NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

He had my favorite trait of all our rookie WRs last year with his balance. He stays or pops right up like one of those punching bag clown everytime he gets hit/tackled on his college highlight reel. He's never on the ground for more than a split second.  Not even sure how much that translates into being a good football player but it's really fun to watch if you look for it.

I'll admit, I think I was higher on Dubose than Wicks after we drafted them 😬

• Like 1

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We don’t usually start this until the last week of preseason. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We don’t usually start this until the last week of preseason. 

It wouldn't happen until later, but you can kind of see the writing on the wall.  We're going to be forced with cutting a couple NFL level wideouts it appears.  

From GB Packer reddit

Practice is finished - 2 hours 8 minutes

General:

Next Event: Open Practice, Aug. 1st 10:30AM CT

Injured:

• Carrington Valentine CB (hamstring)

• Deslin Alexandre DL (lower leg)

• Donovan Jennings G/T (knee)

• Keshawn Banks DL (groin)

• Tucker Kraft TE (PUP, pec)

Not Practicing / Limited: 

• Caleb Jones OT (hammy, limited)

• Kitan Oladapo S (toe, limited)

• Zach Tom OT (pec, limited)

• Zayne Anderson S (knee, limited)

Offense:

• O-line during opening walkthrough is Walker/Jenkins/Myers/Rhyan/Tom

• 1-on-1 period:

• Romeo Doubs just cooked Jaire Alexander

• Jordan Love connects with Jayden Reed on a deep ball. Keisean Nixon in coverage, but Jayden Reed beat Nixon off the line of scrimmage.

• Romeo Doubs’ next rep? Leaves his feet and dives to haul in the catch across the middle. Jaire in coverage again.

• Short completion to Watson vs Stokes.

• Wicks beats rochell on a slant.

• Sims with a great move that left Bullard way behind.

• Hicks not on same page with QB

• J. Wilson with a step on Williams but couldn’t make a diving catch.

• Heath toasts Callis for a deep td.

• Watson slant win vs Stokes

• Reed nice little in n out route for a completion vs Nixon.

• Wayne toasts Callis for a td.

• Melton beats King on an out route.

• Telfort bounces back against Brenton Cox, winning both reps.

• Jordan Morgan was competitive against Wyatt.

• Rhyan had good rep vs bull rush from Brooks

• Starters in team:

• Love

• Jacobs

• Wicks - Reed - Watson

• Musgrave

• Walker - EJ - Myers - Morgan - Telfort

• Love to Wicks in stride over the middle for a nice pickup.

• Love gets good protection off play action and tries to fire over the middle to Watson but he was covered very well and it’s incomplete. Had Dillon wide open on a swing pass.

• Dillon with a real nice run on a stretch play. Want to know how much different Dillon looks? He beat Cooper around the corner!

• Grant DuBose catching everything this camp. Defense jumps and Clifford throws a tight deep ball to connect for 42 yards. 86 high pointed it vs Williams and Anderson deep.

• Dillon with another nice run. This one prob only for 5 but a good cut to get left and get up field for positive yardage.

• MarShawn Lloyd first run of camp in team, gets a nice pickup to the right. Hopper might have had him around the line if there were tackling.

• Jacobs pops a nice run through B gap following Morgan and Tyler Davis seal.

• Two really nice blocking reps by Tyler Davis. One creates space for Jacobs on the edge and the other is picking up Clark who burst through the line.

• Nice blocking by Morgan/Dillard on the right side to get Jacobs a nice pickup.

• Tyler Davis with a great block to get Love time. He throws deep downfield but Stokes all over it and breaks it up.

• Love hits Wicks on a run solution slant on the backside. Shades of Brett Favre.

• Jacobs nice job getting around the edge but the defense is begging for a holding call.

• Walker great block on Van Ness. Love has Musgrave open downfield but overthrows him.

• Dillon inside for a few. His feet look so much quicker this year.

• False start OL. Play continues and Clifford throws a strike to Melton for about 11.

• MarShawn Lloyd almost loses an exchange from Eason but holds on barely. Play gets blown up though. No gain.

• Now Eason bobbles a snap from Monk.

• Clifford just heaves one up the right sideline and DuBose goes up for a phenomenal catch. DuBose is making a play every day.

• DuBose gets a chance with the ones but drops a short pass from Love.

• Jacobs a nice pickup on what might have been a screen.

• Lloyd and Jacobs can’t get much on the next two plays which were also screens.

• Pratt finds Stanley on a crosser for a nice pickup.

• Nice throws from Easton to Wayne on an out route. Wayne’s made some really nice plays in practice.

• Outstanding diving catch along the right sideline by DuBose. Not going away.

• High snap from Monk to Clifford who can’t handle it.

• Next play Clifford throws a perfect ball on a deep corner route to Toure. Williams in coverage.

• Clifford to Toure for about 4.

• Clifford misses DuBose on 3rd down. 4th and 7ish coming up.

• Jacobs shows some burst up field but they only give him 4 on the run. Finally in pads, you can really see how smooth he runs.

• Doubs finds the sticks, sits and gains 9 on third and 8 MTB

• Love buys time but can’t find anything and throws away over the head of Musgrave.

• Love hits Musgrave but only a couple. 4th and 4 ish coming up. Which they decide against. New series.

• Jalen Wayne extremely physical at the break point, gets Green to fall over. No flat. Catches the comeback easily.

• Love deep down the field for about 40 to Watson. Hits him in stride. Nixon as outside CB in coverage.

• Newman getting some looks with the ones at LG.

• Love throws complete outside to Melton for a couple.

• Love throws a beautiful ball deep downfield to Wicks who doesn’t see it until super late. Gets his fingertips on it, tips it up, grabs it but can’t control through the ground.

• Incomplete pass to Heath.

• Re-do of third down for some reason. Complete to Melton for a handful. Clock ticks.

• Swing pass to Jacobs for 3. Clock ticks.

• Complete to Wicks over the middle for a few. Clock ticks.

• Swing to Jacobs for a few. First down. Clock ticks.

• Love completes a jump ball to Reed. First down. Clock ticks. Big fall from Reed but he’s ok.

• Love swing to Dillon. Got lucky it fell incomplete. Would have run a ton of clock for nothing.

• Love - Wicks - TD!!!! Beautiful play by 10.

• Going for 2 and the win… Love to Wicks again. Offense wins!

Defense:

• 1-on-1 period:

• Gary just hit Telfort with a spin move in one on ones that left Telfort wondering what happened.

• Leaping attempt from Sims vs Bullard but incomplete.

• McKinney perfect coverage on Musgrave.

• King phenomenal coverage on Toure.

• Balentine punches out the ball on Melton.

• Ballentine perfect coverage on Stanley.

• Sims wins easy vs Bullard again

• Enagbare had a nice speed rush vs Tenuta and celebrated with DL

• Starters in team:

• Gary - Slaton - Clark - Smith

• McDuffie - Quay

• Jaire - Nixon - Stokes

• AJJ - McKinney

• TJ Slaton with a TFL on Josh Jacobs during team periods.

• McDuffie has been a run stopping machine. All over a Dillon run.

• Karl Brooks jumps offsides on a love hard count. Love throws outside to Melton but Ballentine with great coverage incomplete.

• Coyle all over a pass to Joel Wilson who bobbles but is forced to catch it behind the line of scrimmage for about a 5 yard loss.

• Looks like Edgerrin Cooper is done for the day. He’s out of his pads and no longer has his helmet.

• Love throws to a WR on a crosser route but Nixon is blanketed on it and breaks it up.

• Kingsley Enagbare bats a pass from Love at LOS to end drill

• Wilson stops Dillon in the backfield for a 2 yard loss. Nice play by 45.

• Clifford almost gets picked by Rochell. Broken up either way and turnover on downs.

• The rookie safeties are getting a lot of notice, for good reason, but Anthony Johnson Jr is quietly having a really good camp.

• AJJ all over a WR screen to Watson. Loss on the play.

• No Jaire right now. Nixon and Stokes outside with Bullard in the slot.

• Quay all over a run to Jacobs. Not much on the gain.

• Jaire now in for Stokes. Nixon still outside.

• Isaiah McDuffie shoots into the backfield and stops Jacobs for a 2 yard loss.

• McKinney picks off Love on a throw over the middle for Melton. Defense continues to make a ton of plays.

• Quay Walker shows off his ridiculous speed on a screen to the outside to Jacobs. Quay all over it for no gain.

• Now a swing to Jacobs outside and Bullard is all over it for a loss. This defense flies.

• Karl Brooks opens No 2 two minute with a sack

• Colby Wooden zone drops and breaks up pass across the middle on 3-13

• LVN & Enagbare combine for a sack of Clifford.

• False start by Telfort but the play continues and Clifford throws a ball right to a dropping Colby Wooden but he can’t pull the Raji. He drops it.

• 4th down. Checkdown to Lloyd but Rochell is all over it. Defense wins easy.

• I think Gary would have had a sack but Love escapes for a big gain and gets out of bounds. Ball at the 11. 13 seconds left. First and 10. No timeouts.

• No pushups today, for those who like that info.

Special Teams:

• Nixon and Rochell first up as gunners on punt team. Stokes tried jamming Rochell but 22 flew right by him. Whelan murdered the ball. It’s dead. RIP ball.

• Bissacia said Whelan has been working on his directional punting and it shows. Just had a classic coffin corner punt from about 40 yards out.

• Bo Melton downs a perfect punt at the 5 yard line.

Media:

Interviews:

• Matt LaFleur: Presser

• Guys are going to have to dig deep today, LaFleur says of the heat. They'll practice a half-hour longer today.

• Says today's practice will be 30 minutes longer than yesterday, which MLF felt was somewhat lethargic: "It’s gonna be a little bit of a gut check, I think."

• "You talk about a pro. He does everything the right way," said LaFleur about Eric Wilson. "He continues to get better and better as a linebacker."

• On how the team will approach the cutdown to 53: "You've got to be somewhat cognizant of your needs and what you're going to play with. ... I would say, for the most part, most teams are going to keep right around the same numbers at certain spots."

• On Devonte Wyatt: "He's come in in probably the best shape he's ever been in. His effort running between the whistles has been as good as anybody. So I do expect him to take a leap this year. I think what we do is beneficial to his skillset, and I'm excited for him."

• Says Grant DuBose came into Training Camp with his back against the wall. Added he’s excited to see what DuBose can do come preseason.

• "He's very intentional and deliberate about the work he puts in," says LaFleur about Doubs.

• Says Tucker Kraft won't practice today but is getting close.

• On MarShawn Lloyd: "He's a work in progress. He's missed a lot of time, a lot of valuable reps. Certainly, got to get him back in football shape. There's no other way, in my opinion, to simulate that other than being out there, getting those reps."

For Live Updates: Click Here!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Like I said earlier in the offseason.  Between DuBose, Heath, and Toure, we will be cutting at least two rosterable WRs.  And it wouldn't be a complete shocker if that turned into all three.  Not that we are cutting starters, but these guys are good enough to make the bottom of the roster most of the time.  But we are in a situation where not only is the pass catching group pretty deep, the rest of the roster is pretty deep too.

1. A month of camp injuries waiting, injuries always relieve roster pressure.  A handful of guys who'd be exposed, were cut-downs today, will make it then.  
  2. Curious how kickoff rules will impact preferred body types, and bubble-WR?  No clue.  Any thoughts on that?  
  3. Rich B has had Toure for a few years; will that give him edge?  But both Heath and DuBose seem more classically ST-physiqued...  
  4. Heath played effectively last year, but has personality-issues history.  Might DuBose seem less complex, safer to stay clean and out of trouble, and a classroom guy coaches find easier to work with?  
  5. PS is large.  Other teams have fun bubble guys too, all with at least a camp of playbook training; many with PS experience.  How likely would they claim our cuts with no camp-time to train, over internal options who know their system? 

1 minute ago, craig said:
  1. A month of camp injuries waiting, injuries always relieve roster pressure.  A handful of guys who'd be exposed, were cut-downs today, will make it then.  
  2. Curious how kickoff rules will impact preferred body types, and bubble-WR?  No clue.  Any thoughts on that?  
  3. Rich B has had Toure for a few years; will that give him edge?  But both Heath and DuBose seem more classically ST-physiqued...  
  4. Heath played effectively last year, but has personality-issues history.  Might DuBose seem less complex, safer to stay clean and out of trouble, and a classroom guy coaches find easier to work with?  
  5. PS is large.  Other teams have fun bubble guys too, all with at least a camp of playbook training; many with PS experience.  How likely would they claim our cuts with no camp-time to train, over internal options who know their system? 

I think, and I could be completely wrong here, that none of these WRs were big time special teams contributors.  I would rank the three of these guys about equal, and from college highlights and camp reports, some of the other depth WRs aren't complete slabs either.  So even if someone picks up our cuts, I very much doubt that we wouldn't be able to retain at least a couple of them.

And at least at the moment, I would rather keep Eric Wilson and Corey Ballentine and some of the OL projects over an extra WR.