2024 Rookie Minicamp, OTA's & Training Camp

Leader

Well, I actually thought it was a pretty good scrimmage, or semi scrimmage or whatever you want to call it, though yeah I did have to hold my breath when Watson was in the 3 man sandwich there.

While I can't say I'm totally on the Pratt wagon until after preseason game 1 ends, Clifford might be looking over his shoulder right now.  

I know Wayne and Larry were talking up both Bullard and Williams most of the night and it's hard to grade when contact is limited.  But man if they're as good as advertised, we might be looking at the 96 or 2010 defenses reincarnated as the Hafley special.  Gonna be something to see how they matchup against AJ Brown and co.

And then of course .... Special Teams.  Despite what Wayne and Larry said, I still don't like Whelan.  We got rid of Bojo because he couldn't kick in cold weather and I feel like Whelan isn't much better there.  And man, two missed kicks to end the night for Carlson and Joseph.  It may not mean anything tonight, but I do not get the sense that our kicking game has improved over last year.  Hopefully our Superbowl chances will not have to come down to special teams.

My biggest takeaway was that love deep accuracy still is nothing like rodgers. Rodg really was so dang special at that net drill.

love may end up being a more successful qb but he isnt that accurate deep yet. 

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

My biggest takeaway was that love deep accuracy still is nothing like rodgers. Rodg really was so dang special at that net drill.

Not too many QB’s, in NFL history, if any, are as accurate as Rodgers on deep balls

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Not too many QB’s, in NFL history, if any, are as accurate as Rodgers on deep balls

Yeah, just his accuracy and ball placement in general is pretty unrivaled.

The reports from camp have otherwise said Love's deep ball seems to have improved so far this camp so if we can get some 9s in stride for TDs, that would be prettttty dope.

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Looking like the Packers are going to roll with Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Morgan-Tom when the season rolls around.  Morgan should continue to improve as camp goes on.  Now that he's getting to focus on one position he seems to be showing some real progression.  Rhyan is looking like a clear #2 to him.

Hopefully Pratt will get more looks as #2 .. Clifford seems to have stagnated a bit after a decent showing as a rookie.  The preseason games will be fun to watch when it comes to this battle.  I noticed Love and Pratt buddying up a lot during the family night festivities.  Seemed to be forming a strong relationship.

I take it if all things are close that Anders Carlson will win the kicking job, but Joseph is at least really good competition.  That battle should help strengthen the position.

Stokes has pretty much locked down CB #2 already .. opposite Alexander.  Valentine is hurt and probably is going to wind up as CB #3.

I'd like to see Bullard win the starting gig opposite McKinney, but I get the idea there will be some sort of rotation there well into the season.  Williams and Johnson seem to be having strong camps as well.  I think Bullard might have star potential.

I figured Edgerrin Cooper would work his way into a starting roll at linebacker, but he's hurt, and now probably #4 in the rotation.  Hopefully he will hit his stride and make a push, but the Packers coaches seem to be in love with Eric Wilson as the #3.

All told this is a good roster.

• Like 2

With Morgan at Guard, I think the biggest question mark is the backup OT position(s). Unless someone emerges out of Dillard, Tenuta, C. Jones or Telfort, in event of injury, Packers would probably have to move Jenkins there, and move Rhyan to LG. 

Edited by Brat&Beer

4 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

You're right, Rodgers accuracy was legendary. I still remember that throw he made to Geronimo Allison in that Sunday night comeback game against the Bears in 2018. Love doesn't make that throw, that throw was an absolute dime. Love may have better success only due to having a better coaching staff and better weapons than Rodgers. But Rodgers was a marksman when it comes to deep ball accuracy.

Edited by St Vince

35 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Looking like the Packers are going to roll with Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Morgan-Tom when the season rolls around.  Morgan should continue to improve as camp goes on.  Now that he's getting to focus on one position he seems to be showing some real progression.  Rhyan is looking like a clear #2 to him.

Hopefully Pratt will get more looks as #2 .. Clifford seems to have stagnated a bit after a decent showing as a rookie.  The preseason games will be fun to watch when it comes to this battle.  I noticed Love and Pratt buddying up a lot during the family night festivities.  Seemed to be forming a strong relationship.

I take it if all things are close that Anders Carlson will win the kicking job, but Joseph is at least really good competition.  That battle should help strengthen the position.

Stokes has pretty much locked down CB #2 already .. opposite Alexander.  Valentine is hurt and probably is going to wind up as CB #3.

I'd like to see Bullard win the starting gig opposite McKinney, but I get the idea there will be some sort of rotation there well into the season.  Williams and Johnson seem to be having strong camps as well.  I think Bullard might have star potential.

I figured Edgerrin Cooper would work his way into a starting roll at linebacker, but he's hurt, and now probably #4 in the rotation.  Hopefully he will hit his stride and make a push, but the Packers coaches seem to be in love with Eric Wilson as the #3.

All told this is a good roster.

A whole lot of good thoughts as usual. 

I think they are giving Bullard a chance to play slot as well. He might be good there as well. The Lions did that with the kid from Alabama last year, now he's a starting safety. If WIlliams beats out Bullard, it is not necessarily a knock-on Bullard. Maybe we just got a steal in Williams. 

Morgan moving inside gives me heartburn regarding out depth at tackle. It's sort of non-existent. Jenkins could move out there but then our LG is ****, and my guess is Rhyan moves there. 

The one place a want a serviceable veteran to be signed yet, it's offensive line. 

The other shock to me is Wicks appears to be a clear-cut notch below the top 3 guys at this point. Not sure that last for long. 

The fact nobody is mentioning Hooper is concerning for a 3rd round pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I think they are giving Bullard a chance to play slot as well. He might be good there as well. The Lions did that with the kid from Alabama last year, now he's a starting safety. If WIlliams beats out Bullard, it is not necessarily a knock-on Bullard. Maybe we just got a steal in Williams. 

Feels like Bullard's role/fit is more as that Swiss army knife for the defense rather than pegging to a single position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

With Morgan at Guard, I think the biggest question mark is the backup OT position(s). Unless someone emerges out of Dillard, Tenuta, C. Jones or Telfort, in event of injury, Packers would probably have to move Jenkins there, and move Rhyan to LG. 

Sign a dude called David something or other, his surname hard to pronounce, he is an FA coming off multiple knee surgeries, should be able to get him for cheap. Or at least I feel like he has a past karmic debt to the Packers...

• Like 1