Do the Bengals regret not drafting Sewell over Chase?

RaidersAreOne

Do the Bengals regret not drafting Sewell over Chase?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Bengals regret not drafting Sewell over Chase?

• Yes
    • No

Plenty of other ways to get an offensive tackle. And those issues have been more about the starter being injured than bad, plus the overall scheme really puts the QB on an island. Typically, I'm all about o line then more o line, but I don't think you ever make that swap retroactively 

• Like 1

You really don't need "one of the best RTs in the game".  You just need a solid upper half/upper third of the league sort of guy who fits your scheme/system and gels well with the rest of a competent OLine.  It's nice to have as a luxury, but it's a position where "solid" is plenty.

So no, i don't think they do, nor should regret going with one of the best WRs in the game who is an impact player and major difference-maker for them instead.

Not to mention, half of where Burrow gets killed is a leaky Interior OLine anyway.  A great RT isn't gonna fix that all by themselves.  There are also other places to find serviceable OTs.  RT in particular, you can often find in FA, trade, with later or secondary picks, etc.  Main thing is that they've whiffed on a lot of the OLine that they have taken a shot on.

Being overloaded with weapons (and Chase in particular who Burrow had already established chemistry with) is a big part of what makes Burrow so deadly, when he's healthy.  Targets like that just make a QBs job so much easier, and more effective.  So i'd take that any day and just grind until i can put together a solid enough OLine across the slate.

Since drafting Chase, the Bengals have used a 2nd round pick on Jackson Carman, a 4th on D'Ante Smith, a 6th on Trey Hill, and a 4th on Cordell Volson. They've also signed Ted Karras, Alex Cappa, Lael Collins, and Orlando Brown. plus Trent Brown this year. 

Volson is probably the best of the draft picks as an average LG. The other picks are busts. The veterans signed have all gotten worse, at least in PFF's eyes. One might expect OL coach Frank Pollack to be under some pressure but he's not. 

On 4/20/2024 at 9:52 AM, Superduperman said:

I ain't trying to say the Bengals made a mistake bc Chase is a great player, but I can tell you that Sewell was the best pick the Lions could have possibly made.

Whatever he does between the whistles, and that's a lot, he matches in leadership and team identity. Barring major injury, he will play for the Lions for another 10-12 years and be a dead-lock hall of famer and ring of honor member.

Yes but you also didnt have a choice between the 2

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yes but you also didnt have a choice between the 2

if the Lions had been drafting first overall I would have still went Sewell

I'm sorry I take that back, they would have taken Lawrence because they'd just traded Stafford. Second overall.

On 4/19/2024 at 8:50 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Left tackle might be the most overrated position in all of sports. It’s important to be competent but you really don’t need a star. And you need to be competent at RT as well. Except when you don’t and you’re bad all the way across the line and go to the Super Bowl with JaMarr Chase.

It's overrated these days because guys don't really hold onto the ball like that anymore and most of the QBs are far more athletic.

On 4/21/2024 at 1:48 PM, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

Sewell would have been a bad pick.  His hands are terrible, he gets no separation, and I bet he's probably not much of a route runner either.  Chase was definitely a better selection.  :P

You obviously missed Sewells route running and soft hands against the Viking in 2022. 🤭

Chase >>> Penie. The bengals actually have been to a Super Bowl and were close to winning. The lions threw their chance to win. Had the lions beaten the Niners I might have changed my stance. I doubt it but I would have been a tad more open. 

Edited by El Ramster

It’s much more harder to find a dynamic WR that can carry an offense than a RT. RT Oline is so dependent on QB and RB play..

Besides I wouldn’t want to pay a RT, LT money. Seems like you can use your money better elsewhere. No matter how good Sewell is I can’t justify spending that much money and cap. Between him and Goff that’s about 60-70 million that’ll be coming into the books when the new deals kick in.