The Official 2024 Raider Draft Day Thread

2 hours ago, NickButera said:

This is epic. Could be read as - "Michael Penix could get his first NFL start sometime around his 29th birthday." 

"Falcons take QB from the National Championship game, plan to sit him for a few years". 

Oof. 

57 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Would you have had an issue if Odunze fell and the Raiders picked him?

I would have been sort of irked. 

Given Adams' age I would slightly understand it more. But for a 1st rounder....I'd be more supportive of McMillan, Polk, Wilson, etc day 2. 

33 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

DeJean would be awesome in this defense. Trying not to get my hopes up. 

All those guys are 1st rounders in my book. JPJ, Frazier, Edg Cooper, Troy Franklin, Newton, Dejean, Kool Aid, and Suamatia are my targets for 44. 

52 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

At a certain point, BPA is not real. No one can convince me that any person or team has strong convictions between players 39 and 40 on their board.

Unless some concensus 1st rounder falls that far.

51 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Would you have had an issue if Odunze fell and the Raiders picked him?

I’d have similar concerns yes. I’d have less of a problem with it because I think WR has more impact than TE. Also Adams is in the twilight of his career, I still think he’s elite but I totally understand trying to replace him. Mayer on the other hand is going into his second season and was highly regarded as a prospect last year. 

But either way the biggest problem exists with a QB and line. And it feels like the Raiders will be back at the draft with the same needs next season. The Raiders have a sexy V8 but they’re missing spark plugs to make it run. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

But either way the biggest problem exists with a QB and line. And it feels like the Raiders will be back at the draft with the same needs next season. The Raiders have a sexy V8 but they’re missing spark plugs to make it run. 

6 QB's went in front of us and there wasn't a single trade up. That shows me that the asking prices were likely way too high, so I am happy we didn't explore moving up in front for Penix, JJ or Nix. I think signing Minshew was always the signal we were pushing the QB plan to next season (See if AOC progresses, if not it's Minshew for this season and we can ditch the contract if we wanted to).

O-line is definitely a concern for me. Munford looked ok but I am not comfortable relying on him yet. There's some very solid IOL and even T options left. I hope we attack the trenches in rounds one and two.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

"Falcons take QB from the National Championship game, plan to sit him for a few years". 

Oof. 

Penix will make starts this season. An Achilles injury usually leads to another injury. 

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

6 QB's went in front of us and there wasn't a single trade up. That shows me that the asking prices were likely way too high, so I am happy we didn't explore moving up in front for Penix, JJ or Nix. I think signing Minshew was always the signal we were pushing the QB plan to next season (See if AOC progresses, if not it's Minshew for this season and we can ditch the contract if we wanted to).

O-line is definitely a concern for me. Munford looked ok but I am not comfortable relying on him yet. There's some very solid IOL and even T options left. I hope we attack the trenches in rounds one and two.

The jets traded back one spot for two mid round picks. The Raiders couldn’t make a better offer than that? Sure the Vikings have more ammunition but they didn’t use it. Honestly the QB situation reminds me of last year where the team zeroed in on one guy and when he wasn’t available they just punted. Names change but the story is the same. 

Either way next year the raiders will have to draft a Qb and because they’re dumb, arrogant or both they might not address the line. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

Penix will make starts this season. An Achilles injury usually leads to another injury. 

I'm thinking so too. 

Still just a bizarre decision for me. Even with Kirk, is anyone honestly feeling the Falcons are playoff ready to the extent you take a plug and play rookie QB over a guy you could justify sitting for a year or two if Kirk indeed stays healthy?