1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

Least punchable face? JJ McCarthy - let's stay on topic gents.

"The Vikings will follow an individualized development plan they created for each of the quarterbacks they considered drafting, one that requires McCarthy to hit specific benchmarks and gives coach Kevin O'Connell full authority to make the timing decision. The approach is designed to avoid the worst-case scenario -- ruining McCarthy's career by exposing him before he is ready -- and is a big reason the Vikings spent $10 million in March to sign veteran Sam Darnold as a bridge starter."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40032345/vikings-plan-quarterback-jj-mccarthy-start-sam-darnold-2024-nfl-draft

Any idea what these specific benchmarks might be? I know the fan base will grow impatient but I hope the coaching staff stays the course.

• Like 4

I have mixed feelings on McCarthy. The only QB in this draft that I got excited about was Drake Maye. I thought late 1 or 2, McCarthy and Nix would be good. The Vikings apparently didn’t try to get Maye, and both McCarthy and Nix went higher than they should’ve. I thought all of the QBs in 1 did, except Maye. Granted I hadn’t seen much of the guys that went 2 and 8 this last season, but when I saw Daniel’s at LSU a couple years ago he looked terrible and when I saw Penix at Indiana he looked terrible too.  Caleb will hopefully be a flop, as I don’t like him due to his attitude and flopping against good competition. I remember the “Good Bo” and “Bad Bo” highlights from previous seasons too. 

Meanwhile, with McCarthy, he just seemed like a solid athlete with a plus arm, who never had to do much. He is much smaller than I’d prefer. The jury is out on him. My buddy is a rabid Wolverine and Viking fan, and he couldn’t stop going on and on about how much he wanted this to happen. Given that Nix went 12 to the Broncos, it’s a good thing the Vikes took McCarthy when they did. 

Bottom line?  I’m just glad that Cousins is FINALLY GONE!!!!  Now the Vikings, for the first time in my 45 years, have finally drafted a QB that has a chance to be good and the missing piece of the puzzle.  (I know some will say Culpepper, but his tiny hands made him a fumbling machine and he was dumb as a box of rocks - if he hadn’t had elite weapons around him where he could just throw bombs, he’d have been terrible. As it was, only one good season imo)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I want to know if those specific benchmarks were used for Jaren Hall last season.

Or, if the team intended that at least...

The benchmarks were if Kirk, Dobbs, Mullens were on the bench that would mark the point Hall would play

• Like 2

8 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Least punchable face? JJ McCarthy - let's stay on topic gents.

"The Vikings will follow an individualized development plan they created for each of the quarterbacks they considered drafting, one that requires McCarthy to hit specific benchmarks and gives coach Kevin O'Connell full authority to make the timing decision. The approach is designed to avoid the worst-case scenario -- ruining McCarthy's career by exposing him before he is ready -- and is a big reason the Vikings spent $10 million in March to sign veteran Sam Darnold as a bridge starter."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40032345/vikings-plan-quarterback-jj-mccarthy-start-sam-darnold-2024-nfl-draft

Any idea what these specific benchmarks might be? I know the fan base will grow impatient but I hope the coaching staff stays the course.

The final benchmark will be marking the spot on the bench for Darnold to sit. But I would imagine that it will be things like mastering x% of the playbook, learning line assignments and audibles, blitz recognition and audibles, things like that. 

The big thing with McCarthy verses the other QBs drafted is McCarthy has played in a prostyle offense so all he has to do is improve on what he has been doing, the other QBs have to learn a new style of offense.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Seifert continued, “It’s a process O’Connell and Adofo-Mensah have been planning since meeting for the first time in 2022 during one of O’Connell’s final job interviews.”

General manager Adofo-Mensah said about McCarthy’s upcoming development, “A lot of times when we go back over history and say, ‘These quarterbacks have missed,’ there’s a lot of hands that are dirty in that regard. And we’re going to make sure that our hands are clean and give him the best opportunity he can to be the best player he can be in this offense.”

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/article/jim-harbaugh-should-have-considered-michigan-qb-jj-mccarthy-in-2024-nfl-draft-adam-schefter-says-231170948/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1Fb-BsPTIsi1JvXrZHIg6KwqoQdcqqgpW6IIps3KGHAeArpycSfzwVZCg_aem_Ab0ETvbyZ4ommJL61LGaXrG62ex5ybQ4g8bPIOcrEzy2o6DDXCFmmlyBCV0j2crZwgAyiI-00SlM2dZLBnG1ynAi

i reeealy love the planning that's going in to developing this team. we never saw this with Childress or Spielman or Zimmer.

• Like 3

McCarthy, on Harbaugh and his influence: "I just can't wait to prove him right [about me]. Being able to see him across the sideline one day and see him on his hands and knees ready to get after it. I'm just thrilled to be able to be in this position today, and it wouldn't be without him."

"Hearing that praise come from him means the world. Coach Harbaugh isn't just a coach at the end of the day. He's a second father figure to a lot of guys, and he was that to me. I thank him from the bottom of my heart. I wouldn't be here today in this situation without him."

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/article/jim-harbaugh-should-have-considered-michigan-qb-jj-mccarthy-in-2024-nfl-draft-adam-schefter-says-231170948/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1Fb-BsPTIsi1JvXrZHIg6KwqoQdcqqgpW6IIps3KGHAeArpycSfzwVZCg_aem_Ab0ETvbyZ4ommJL61LGaXrG62ex5ybQ4g8bPIOcrEzy2o6DDXCFmmlyBCV0j2crZwgAyiI-00SlM2dZLBnG1ynAi

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

McCarthy, on Harbaugh and his influence: "I just can't wait to prove him right [about me]. Being able to see him across the sideline one day and see him on his hands and knees ready to get after it. I'm just thrilled to be able to be in this position today, and it wouldn't be without him."

Depending on how this coming season shakes out we could play the Chargers in 2025. We are scheduled to play them on the road in the 2027 season.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

That run was very reminiscent of Fran Tarkenton.

Heck, and I've only ever seen very little of our beloved QB of the past!

Somewhat similar.  Fran would've changed direction 5 more times, retreated 25 yards behind the line of scrimmage, made his way back to the line of scrimmage, weaving through traffic, and then, just as he was about to cross the line, he would hit a receiver on the side line 20 yards up field.  The whole play would take about 20 seconds, he would've run about 70 yards back and forth. At the end all the defensive linemen would head towards the sideline for oxygen. 

• Like 2