2.45 - Edgerrin Cooper [LB; Texas A&M]

3 hours ago, R T said:

Gutes has spent a 1st, 2nd and 3rd on off the ball LB's and coincidently all 3 picks were bonus picks that he acquired in trades. Did the fact that they were extra bonus picks give Gute's ease of mind to go non premium positions with them? Also was it the plan to double down in the 3rd if they took Cooper with the second pick? Cooper is a huge boom or bust player, Hopper taken with another bonus pick kind of feels like Cooper bust insurance to a degree. 

Personally, very interested in seeing how this plays out in the next couple of years.  

That is a possibility.  But, I think you might be overthinking it just a little bit.  I think that Gute values ILB more than we do as fans.  Remember, he also spent a 3rd round pick on Oren Burks, and got Kamal Martin and Isaiah McDuffie in 2020 and 21.  He is willing to take them. 

45 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is a possibility.  But, I think you might be overthinking it just a little bit.  I think that Gute values ILB more than we do as fans.  Remember, he also spent a 3rd round pick on Oren Burks, and got Kamal Martin and Isaiah McDuffie in 2020 and 21.  He is willing to take them. 

Speaking of Kamal Martin, never understood why we got rid of him. Based on the eye test, he was a decent player. Have a lot of friends that went to UoM that were high on him. 

4 hours ago, R T said:

Gutes has spent a 1st, 2nd and 3rd on off the ball LB's and coincidently all 3 picks were bonus picks that he acquired in trades. Did the fact that they were extra bonus picks give Gute's ease of mind to go non premium positions with them? Also was it the plan to double down in the 3rd if they took Cooper with the second pick? Cooper is a huge boom or bust player, Hopper taken with another bonus pick kind of feels like Cooper bust insurance to a degree. 

Personally, very interested in seeing how this plays out in the next couple of years.  

No.  No.  Yes.  

1. Don't think the source of the picks impacted Gute's valuation.  As you say, coincidence, not cause or justification.  
  2. Don't think it was the "plan" to double-down in the 3rd.  Think it just worked out that way.  
  3. I do think that Gute had some need/fit factors in his valuation.  He himself noted that they didn't consciously drift from their board or BPA.  But that need can tiebreak, and he admitted that perhaps subconsciously the board gets built with need in mind.  So sure, Hopper might not have been as high on their board if they'd come in with a strong depth of good young LB.  But yeah, don't think he had any "plan" to have two ILB by end of day 3.  
  4. Yes, insurance.  I wasn't one of the Cooper enthusiasts entering the draft, so was surprised Gute took him that early. Agree, as with many talented high-ceiling 2nd-rounders, that doesn't come without bust risk.  Bust is possible.  
  5. Insurance addresses both bust and injury, both of which are real.  And Quay is bustling along towards 2nd-contract, too, and McDuffie.  Think the depth valuation is understandable.  Maybe Gute views Cooper as unusually risky, but I'm not sure the Hopper pick signals that.  

55 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Speaking of Kamal Martin, never understood why we got rid of him. Based on the eye test, he was a decent player. Have a lot of friends that went to UoM that were high on him. 

I never got that one either.  He looked fine, Krys Barnes was probably a little better, and then Martin is cut.  I don't think Martin was any worse than Burks or Summers.  At the same time, I can't make a definitive top 5 Kamal Martin plays list either.  

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I never got that one either.  He looked fine, Krys Barnes was probably a little better, and then Martin is cut.  I don't think Martin was any worse than Burks or Summers.  At the same time, I can't make a definitive top 5 Kamal Martin plays list either.  

Wow brain fart, I meant Krys Barnes. He seemed to make splash plays every time he was in. I believe it was him who stonewalled a RB at the TD line that got everyone hyped. 

I remember drafting Kamal Martin and being hyped cause of my Minny friends

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It had to be an attitude and/or aptitude issue.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Wow brain fart, I meant Krys Barnes. He seemed to make splash plays every time he was in. I believe it was him who stonewalled a RB at the TD line that got everyone hyped. 

I remember drafting Kamal Martin and being hyped cause of my Minny friends

If I am being honest, I am kind of surprised that either of them were cut.  At least to my recollection, both were at least average, and it wasn't like we had a wealth of LBs on the roster.  Perhaps I am forgetting something, or FamilyGhost is right and it was off-field stuff that I just don't know about.  Barnes is with Arizona, and started 6 games last season. And as far as I can tell Martin is out of the league after playing for Carolina in 2021.  

9 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It had to be an attitude and/or aptitude issue.  

Martin had an injury which I think sapped some of his suddenness, which was one of his main attributes. Then I heard he was kind of an idiot and was way too fringe of a guy to let that persist in the lockeroom. Don’t know but he didn’t go anywhere else and light it up. 

The Barnes cut was just Gutey showing his dominance after appeasing a HOF QB for too long. He was a childhood friend of Love and Gutey just wanted to show him he could take pieces away at any time and he’d better get used to it. Strictly business. 

5 hours ago, Refugee said:

The Barnes cut was just Gutey showing his dominance after appeasing a HOF QB for too long. He was a childhood friend of Love and Gutey just wanted to show him he could take pieces away at any time and he’d better get used to it. Strictly business. 

That's just a dumb take. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...