4.111 - Evan Williams [S; Oregon]

CWood21

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Nagy always seems high on GB picks

I think I remember him being high on Jayden Reed, too

With him being a key piece of running the Senior Bowl, he is invested in how well those players do after the senior bowl.  It is a benefit to the process in attracting players for future senior bowls for those players to do well and get drafted high

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Yolo started in the third round this year. Must've had a shallow board.

I think our version of the board isn't that similar to their version of the board and the gap widens as the draft goes on.

I actually really like Williams, truly his really only flaw to me is he over pursuits at times. He's fast, he can cover pretty well, he is really good at setting the edge and weaving thru traffic to make a tackle, and if Hafley doesn't blitz him it'll be a crime.

10 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I actually really like Williams, truly his really only flaw to me is he over pursuits at times. He's fast, he can cover pretty well, he is really good at setting the edge and weaving thru traffic to make a tackle, and if Hafley doesn't blitz him it'll be a crime.

I'll be really curious to see whether Hafley blitzes much or at all.  Obviously Barry didn't like to blitz much, or Pettine either.  No coordinator does, really, since blitzing comes with risks.  So if you're winning without blitzing, why risk it.  But yeah, it sure seems like some blitz-capacity is baked into all of these guys.  Cooper, yes.  Williams, yes.  Hopper, yes.  Bullard, yes.  

I like the notion of having a bunch of guys who have the capacity, so that if various guys are crowding the line, almost any might have the capacity for the surprise blitz.  

Listened to interview with Sam Seale, the west-coast scout.  The other scouts seem to love him and have a lot of respect for his input.  Seale seemed very positive about Williams, his athleticism, speed, tackling.  Time will tell.  But Seale and Gute have gotten a lot of scouting evals right. 

That they traded up to get him, that also speaks to their scouting.  You don't trade up if you don't want the guy, or if you feel that he's no better than fit than a handful of other guys.  

Again only time will tell whether Seale and Gute and Packers scouted it well.  They traded up for Amari Rodgers, too, so it's not like they are invincible.  But I'm sure hoping they had good reason to value him for our offense.   

8 minutes ago, craig said:

I'll be really curious to see whether Hafley blitzes much or at all.  Obviously Barry didn't like to blitz much, or Pettine either.  No coordinator does, really, since blitzing comes with risks.  So if you're winning without blitzing, why risk it.  But yeah, it sure seems like some blitz-capacity is baked into all of these guys.  Cooper, yes.  Williams, yes.  Hopper, yes.  Bullard, yes.  

I like the notion of having a bunch of guys who have the capacity, so that if various guys are crowding the line, almost any might have the capacity for the surprise blitz.  

I think we need to see Hafley adapt way better than Barry, play more man when you need to, play more aggressive when you need to, but it doesn't have to be all the time. Just know if it fits the opponent you're playing, not having to be told to play one way like Barry had to.

• Like 2