4.111 - Evan Williams [S; Oregon]

CWood21

On 4/27/2024 at 2:18 PM, Sasquatch said:

Seems like Hadley may have MLF and Gute’s ears this draft!

It seems like specifically you would want to get Hafley's ear about what he wants from a safety.  Since not only was the position pretty poor last year, but we're also switching to a different defense and because they lost almost everybody from that group.  Like before they signed McKinney the only safeties on the roster were 7th round 2nd year player Anthony Johnson Jr., Tyler Coyle, Benny Sapp III, and Zayne Anderson.  Considering that "what you want to do with your safeties" varies a lot from scheme to scheme (Kam Chancellor wouldn't have been a star in a different defense, for example) then you'd have wanted to talk to Hafley extensively about the position.

His coaching staff said he was their best defensive player 

Can even play some nickel

I think with Williams and the Oladapo pick we're set at strong safety and Bullard is going to take over the nickel role 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, persiandud said:

I think with Williams and the Oladapo pick we're set at strong safety and Bullard is going to take over the nickel role 

This is a really significant point.  Having depth at safety is great, but creating depth/options at nickel is also super helpful.  

With Johnson and Nixon, we kinda now have a pool of six guys between the safeties and nickel.  Hopefully well situated to cover injury contingencies.  

11 hours ago, persiandud said:

I think SS/FS is a mostly meaningless distinction. Bullard and Worthy are going to be the 2 S but in single high looks we could rotate either way. I do think WIlliams or Oladapo could be a more box S in a big nickel look with one of the other two S shifting over the slot, but I don't think either S is going to play slot the way a slot CB does. When it happens I think it's going to be a shift from a different look to disguise coverages.

I think we are moving into an area of the NFL with less positional specificity for things like FS/SS, SLB/MLB/WLB, LT/RT, TE/WR DT/NT ect. Sure some people will be shoved into one specific role due to athletic limitations, but the type of players teams want out there will be more generalists. 

• Like 1

He's smooth.  This is not your grocery store Evan Williams.  Though it is great at that price point.

But their specialty 10 year old bottle?  Wowza.  One of the best out there that you've never heard of.   $400.

BuyEvanWilliams10thAnniversarySingleBarrelVantageBourbonOnline.jpg?v=1708829852&width=1800

• Like 2

21 hours ago, spilltray said:

I think SS/FS is a mostly meaningless distinction. Bullard and Worthy are going to be the 2 S but in single high looks we could rotate either way. I do think WIlliams or Oladapo could be a more box S in a big nickel look with one of the other two S shifting over the slot, but I don't think either S is going to play slot the way a slot CB does. When it happens I think it's going to be a shift from a different look to disguise coverages.

I think we are moving into an area of the NFL with less positional specificity for things like FS/SS, SLB/MLB/WLB, LT/RT, TE/WR DT/NT ect. Sure some people will be shoved into one specific role due to athletic limitations, but the type of players teams want out there will be more generalists. 

I use them purely to denote single high safety (FS) and non-single high safety (SS)

2 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

I use them purely to denote single high safety (FS) and non-single high safety (SS)

Except it's probably not going to be the same guy. I expect them to come out in more of a normal 2 deep (but not too deep) look and rotate one down, one back, based on what the offense shows them. You could cite FS/SS on a given play, even do a snap count breakdown, but as far as a roster listing type of thing I don't think it's going to be that useful, and less useful going foward. 

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

There wasn't much talking before the picks like in years past. I wonder if they thought it got a little too crazy last year and had everyone tone it down. 

Darrell Green was out there for like half an hour.  And a guy that did the Seahawks pick wouldn't shut up either.  Someone probably told them, just read the card.

• Like 1