Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)

goldfishwars

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Heavy contradictions in bold.

That came out of Sean Paytons mouth that's the arrogance I don't like. He said evaluating qbs.

“There are some fundamental things that we have to see that are present. Sometimes it’s not as difficult as we make it out to be and then sometimes it’s very difficult. I think we’ll be really good at this, and I think to some degree, we’re glad that a lot of people aren’t.”

Sean payton 

Edited by thebestever6

This is definitely the last year where we see a lot of older prospects, right? 

Like, I get Dillion Gabriel, DJ Ugaleilei, Tyler Van Dyke and a few other QBs will be 24 before the 2025 season starts, but in general, we will see younger prospects again, right?

Feels right for Denver, tbh. They had a very strong middle of the draft, but that's tempered by the Nix pick and not having any picks between Nix and 76. Those two things kind of put a cap on it, even if they got good value most of the draft.

• Like 1

I think that's about right for the Broncos.  I was higher on Nix than most, and thought he was a certified late first rounder.  I had him ranked above both Penix and McCarthy, and not very far behind Daniels.

Still, at 12, it's a big reach.  But I loved everything else about their draft.  I was hoping and praying KAD fell one more spot to the Titans, but the dang Broncos got him and left the Titans with Brownlee.

Elliss is good.  Franklin was a steal, and you can't do better than bringing a QB and his top receiver in the same draft.

The first pick weighs the most heavily, but the Broncos killed the rest of the draft IMO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

18. Denver Broncos

A real rollercoaster, like the whole Sean Payton era – it’s just how it’s going to be

I mean, obviously it’s Nix, but I can’t be the only person wondering if this works out. Can I? 

But, also, Payton is one hell of a quarterback whisperer and man, Nix is a fighter. He’s also a good athlete, can offer something as a scrambler and runner. He has a snappy release, is excellent at quick read and throw. And Denver was pretty much his only fit, if he was going high. I don’t hate it, not at all – not with Payton’s track record with this exact skill-set. It can't work, can it? Man, I think it might...but it can't. Will it? I think it could, you know. No, there's no way. But, what if it does??

George Paton is in hell, man, I forgot he was there. He is Reek, he blew his shot and now just tiptoes about the place making coffee and offering unwanted fist bumps. He’s a difficult person to root for. But also, I kind of like this class. I definitely don’t hate it. I should probably have it higher.

THIS IS WHAT I'M HERE FOR

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611kuwpjhnpdrd0ll8eo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

This is definitely the last year where we see a lot of older prospects, right? 

Like, I get Dillion Gabriel, DJ Ugaleilei, Tyler Van Dyke and a few other QBs will be 24 before the 2025 season starts, but in general, we will see younger prospects again, right?

I don't know. I think the 2020 season will have impacts until 2026 because of how redshirts and such worked that year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Bo Nix – I mean, obviously it’s Nix, but I can’t be the only person wondering if this works out. Can I? He obviously had no business going 12th overall. He’s old as hell and his only college success arrived in a gimmicky scheme that can’t be replicated in the NFL. The post-pick PR was wild, and frankly unnecessary because the Falcons took ALL THAT HEAT away. Payton was dribbling about how he missed on Pat Mahomes because he didn't trade up and he hadn't actually traded up for Nix so the story made no sense. Man, never bring up Mahomes when talking about a draft prospect – don’t do that. Don't compare any guy to him. But especially don’t do it about Bo Nix. No purpose was served. 

But, also, Payton is one hell of a quarterback whisperer and man, Nix is a fighter. He’s also a good athlete, can offer something as a scrambler and runner. He has a snappy release, is excellent at quick read and throw. And Denver was pretty much his only fit, if he was going high. I don’t hate it, not at all – not with Payton’s track record with this exact skill-set. It can't work, can it? Man, I think it might...but it can't. Will it? I think it could, you know. No, there's no way. But, what if it does??

What QB has Sean Payton drafted? 

IF Sean Payton doesn't get lucky with Drew Brees for like 15 years in New Orleans does he even have an OC job right now?

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I just can't get behind any draft that drafts Bo freaking Nix at #12.

Broncos drafting Nix was the most predictable thing ever haha I called that ish months ago

17. Seattle Seahawks

Seattle Seahawks 2024 first round draft pick, Byron Murphy II, smiles during a news conference at the NFL team's headquarters, Thursday, May 2, 2024, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/John Froschauer)

This Class In One Sentence:

Sat me up with the first two picks and then it was pretty good to okay

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

OT, EDGE, DL, IOL, CB, QB, LB

Selections

16. Byron Murphy II | DL | Texas

81. Christian Haynes | IOL | Conneticut

118. Tyrice Knight | LB | UTEP

121. AJ Barner | TE | Michigan

136. Nehemiah Pritchett | CB | Auburn

179. Sataoa Laumea | OL | Utah

192. DJ James | CB | Auburn

Best Pick

It’s my boy Byron Murphy. Parking some mildly alarming social media coming out of this dude’s accounts post-draft (what is going on with these Texas prospects?), he is a bowling ball of speed to power as a player. He is a consistent threat as a pass-rusher and a fire hydrant as a run defender. He’s shorter than ideal but he was still versatile enough to line up all over the Texas defensive front and was just unblockable down the stretch.

Worst Pick

AJ Barner – He’s probably fine but I’m not sure he had any business being drafted ahead of Cade Stover and Jared Wiley in terms of respective quality. I do understand the Seahawks place a premium on second, block-first tight ends so I sort of get it. He is good at that and can clear lanes in the run game, which used to be Colby Parkinson’s job who left for the Rams. Maybe there’s a premium on this sort of player, as you used to find them on the trash heap.

Overall

Look, we’ve hit a new tier in draft competence – it’s tricky to separate these teams. I certainly didn’t envisage Seattle being in the lower half after those first two selections, but here we are. Man, it was jarring to see Schneider still controlling the draft with no Pete in the room fist-bumping and air-punching. It just doesn’t hit the same.

I didn’t see Christian Haynes being available at 81, but boy did the Seahawks need someone of his calibre on the interior. He’s hugely experienced, reliable and durable with almost 50 consecutive games played. He’s a powerful run blocker who plays with an edge from snap to snap. The Senior Bowl wasn’t too big for him. He dominated the majority of his reps there and had dudes ripping off his helmet in frustration.

Tyrice Knight was probably the highest-drafted player off my radar, and I can’t give much of an opinion here. There’s nothing in his profile which particularly stands out, but I can’t say this if this is a reach in a weird linebacker class. I do like the two shots on the emaciated Auburn defensive backs. Pritchett has twitch, track speed and good length, the playing strength needs to come up a level, however. DJ James has eerily similar qualities to his teammate, impressive length and speed – but needs to fill out that frame a little. Sataoa Laumea is someone I quite liked at the Senior Bowl, even if he did get by Latu a couple of times. He’ll have to tuck inside but has enough quickness and power to think he can be useful depth.

• Like 2

• goldfishwars changed the title to Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (17 is up)
  • goldfishwars changed the title to Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)