Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)

goldfishwars

17 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

Quick question, I live out in the country and have just ok internet and am thinking of buying a PS5...but I read everything is mostly online? Should I hold off until I have a quality high speed internet?

Yes

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yes

@TakeTheBallDeepGames these days on any console need to downloaded and updated online often to fix bugs and add stupid money grubbing features.  Any multiplayer is played online.  

With a slow connection it will be a constant hassle.  

You can play old offline games by yourself if it has a disc drive.  The old games are probably all better.  So there is that.   

Given how many good AFC teams play in cold weather states, Miami almost has to get home field to have playoff success with the way the team is constructed, and offense tends to win regular season games. You can kind of see what they're going for there - almost like the Peyton Manning Colts model where you will have a top offense and good pass rush - but obviously Tua isn't Peyton....I don't think they'll end up winning a Super Bowl with this. But it'll be fun as hell to watch

37 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Given how many good AFC teams play in cold weather states, Miami almost has to get home field to have playoff success with the way the team is constructed, and offense tends to win regular season games. You can kind of see what they're going for there - almost like the Peyton Manning Colts model where you will have a top offense and good pass rush - but obviously Tua isn't Peyton....I don't think they'll end up winning a Super Bowl with this. But it'll be fun as hell to watch

To defend Miami, there is some wisdom in going all-in on a special trait/advantage (Speed) and hoping you get some good breaks along the way. With Tua at QB, trying to win straight up with a well rounded team might be even less viable than trying to thread the speed needle. You are going to need extra bounces no matter what.

19 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

26. New Orleans Saints

Spencer Rattler throwing a football at NFL Combine

This Class In One Sentence:

At the higher end of outcomes for a roster that needs a full reset

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

OT, EDGE, WR, DL, TE, CB, QB

Selections

14. Taliese Fuaga | OT | Oregon State

41. Kool-Aid McKinstry | CB | Alabama

150. Spencer Rattler | QB | South Carolina

170. Bub Means | WR | Pittsburgh

175. Jaylan Ford | LB | Texas

199. Khristian Boyd | DL | Northern Iowa

239. Josiah Ezirim | OT | Eastern Kentucky

Best Pick

It might be Rattler at 150, but it’s probably Kool-Aid in the second round, even if it meant trading away 5th and 6th round picks to Green Bay because they can’t help themselves. I had a 2nd round grade on him, thinking he might sneak into the first. He’s a smart, sticky cover corner, who allowed a completion percentage of only 47.1% over his last two seasons. He does have some questions over his long speed and a troublesome foot injury, which might explain his fall.

Worst Pick

I don’t think they made a bad selection given what they had, but I’d have expected an early selection on the defensive lne. Elsewhere, I soured a little on Fuaga at tackle and see him more as a quality guard which is unfortunate because the Saints need to replace Penning and have Ramcyk’s declining health to consider. Taliese is a devastating run-blocker, but lacks the balance and arm-length to be as refined in pass-pro on the edge. Again, definitely not a bad pick because he has a home on that line somewhere.

Overall

It’s fair to say the current Saints roster is among the worst in the league right now. It’s a directionless roster with a cap on its ceiling, given who the quarterback is, their horrible cap situation. And let's face it, the best players on this team are getting old - the whole franchise from top to bottom lacks an identity in the post Payton/Brees eta. There are just too many holes to fill and they did not give themselves enough draft capital to do that effectively. Still, this is a decent enough stab given the above.

I think it’s fair to say the NFL as a whole viewed Spencer Rattler as a back-up, given his draft position and the fact QB needy teams like the Giants and Raiders passed on him several times. He does have crazy arm talent, the ball really flies out of his hand. He’s also overcome a lot of adversity, and was a poor decision-maker early in his career and an objectively terrible person as a teenager. It wouldn’t be a shock to see him starting games in New Orleans, especially if Carr gets upset about the idea of having competition. If that happens, it would be objectively funny and not necessarily an endorsement of the new guy.  

Of the four remaining picks, I like a little about each. Means has some fans as a vertical threat who has a real shot of getting playing time on this roster. Jaylan Ford is good if you can get him him running and chasing and not putting anything else on his plate, should be a decent Special Teams sort of player. Khristian Boyd has some natural power as a run stuffer, Josiah Ezirim is a power blocking guard/tackle who is tick above UDFA quality right now.

Honestly this is shockingly low for the Saints. By far the lowest I’ve seen them of any of the draft publications out there with many giving them an “A” range grade.

I honestly would have considered giving them a lower grade if they went DL instead of Fuaga who should be a plug and play RT for us. Arguably the best Run Blocking OL in this draft and as a pass blocker even if he has some things to clean up, didn’t give up a single sack in his college career. 

Obviously people are going to have different viewpoints on prospects, but the Saints did land 2 players with their first 2 picks the vast majority had as top 20 and top 30 players in the draft, with Fuaga filling the biggest need on our roster. Many had Rattler as a 2nd/3rd round pick. In terms of value as a QB to develop behind Carr was excellent for the Saints. The rest of the picks were solid enough and could be decent depth players for us. Easily my favorite draft by them over the past 5 years. Guess we will see how this ages soon enough though.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

New rule: You can't say X team should be much higher on this list without naming three teams not yet featured you think should be lower than them.

What if we don't say X team should be higher, and instead just say we expected X team to be higher?  Can we get that in by technicality?

I personally think the Raiders had a bottom tier draft.  I think the only teams I may not put them in front of are the Falcons and Browns.  Browns are tough, because I like to think of how well they did with what they're given.  And I don't hate coming away with Hall, Zinter (who I'm higher on) and Thrash with so little draft capital, so I probably have them 30.  I'd probably put the Dolphins, Texans, and Panthers somewhere along the lines next.  Then the Titans.  Then, considering how much capital they had, I didn't love the Packers' haul.  49ers were pretty whelming too.

Saints I have way higher than any of those guys, because I'm high on some of the players they picked.  But they're your rankings.  Different strokes and all that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Lol fair enough 

Also think most publications give grades out based on what teams did with the capital they gave themselves, which is a different exercise. 

I would be higher on the Saints if that were the case. Also would be higher if I saw Fuaga as a tackle and there weren’t concerns about Kool-Aid’s long speed and foot injury. Rattler is whatever really, the league let us know what he was. 

• Like 1

24. Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys Draft War Room: Day 1 | 2024

This Class In One Sentence:

A weaponless cast of decent prospects

Pre-Draft Needs (According to https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/team-needs-2024)

OT, IOL, WR, RB, DL, LB, CB

Selections

29. Tyler Guyton | OT | Oklahoma

56. Marshawn Kneeland | EDGE | Western Michigan

73. Cooper Beebe | IOL | Kansas State

87. Marist Liufau | LB | Notre Dame

175. Caelen Carson | CB | Wake Forrest

216. Ryan Flournoy | WR | Southeast Missouri State

233. Nathan Thomas | OT | Louisiana

244. Justin Rogers | DL | Auburn

Best Pick

Cooper Beebe – I like this pick-up in the third round, especially considering the positional versatility he offers. He’s a short-armed, Spongebob built lineman who is highly athletic on the move. He’s an excellent, patient puller. Strong and powerful, plays with a high IQ. That lack of arm length shows up at times and may even limit him to center only.  

Worst Pick

Perhaps it’s the Marshawn Kneeland pick, factoring the dire help needed elsewhere at key spots. I was a little lower because his tape is weird, but the NFL apparently believed in his upside. Perhaps it’s the Marist Liufau selection because it feels a little reachy for a guy who wasn’t used in coverage at Notre Dame. Both were reaches for me, but nothing crazy.

Overall

Honestly, the Cowboys have been getting a bit of heat for what they didn’t do (i.e. draft explosive skill players, I think) – but clearly they gave themselves a little too much to achieve this year. So, given that backdrop, this was probably a decent stab at nailing potential starters at key spots. And while Dallas has been good at drafting over the past few years, that elusive core team-building element continues to hold the franchise back from getting the depth it needs. The fourth and fifth rounds of the NFL draft (and beyond) are no place to be searching for day one starters.

Tyler Guyton was an often mocked prospect to Dallas throughout the process and so it’s a nice business to slide back and still take him. It’s a selection, if he starts early (which isn't a cast iron guarantee) that keeps Tyler Smith on the interior where he’s established himself as one of the league’s best. That's where you want him. Guyton is athletic and has elite length at 6’8 and over 34-inch arms. But, he’s still very inexperienced and a little top-heavy –  he gets into trouble when not dropping his pad level. But pairing him with Beebe on a line that needed to find starting calibre talent at, at least two spots, is solid. 

Marshawn Kneeland has a perfect edge frame and can play on his feet or with a hand on the ground. There’s only one move (bull rush) in his locker, but he can overpower tackles with it. He did have a good Senior Bowl showing, but he’s another older prospect with a tricky projection profile. Elsewhere, the remaining selections all had their admirers. Liufau gives the Cowboys another blitzing backer, which makes sense I guess because they don’t do much else. You wouldn't want him roaming free in coverage, however. Flournoy is an intriguing dart throw at an explosive receiver who might not have to do much to put himself into the rotation picture. It’s the same story with Justin Rogers, who is good at being fat and plugging lanes and there isn’t much competition for that on the roster either. 

• Like 3

I don't think the Dallas draft was bad by any means. I think they did well with their value and I don't think they had any real reach picks that seemed egregious. They set up their draft to be a disappointment in FA personally. They refused to extend guys to create cap space which means they just had to let a lot of guys walk and they were stuck with a lot of holes. 

Guyton could definitely be the guy at LT long term. If they have him play early though..... I don't see it going well. I'd imagine he will be the backup LT in year one. If he isn't they are in trouble. Beebe was a great pick in the third. Fills a need and the value matched up. I don't think his ceiling is all that high, but I do think he is going to be a year one starter for them. The rest of their draft is fine to me. Nothing exciting, but some of them should stick as depth with upside as starters long term.

I can see a lot of these drafts in the 20's to the mid teens all kind of blending in this year. That said, my teams draft is definitely not rated high enough!

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan
  • Like 2

• goldfishwars changed the title to Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2024 (All Up)