Early predictions: Who is QB1 come week one?

Who wins the starting QB Job?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the starting QB Job?

Hey, AOC has terrible moments and he’s passes were all over the ******* place, but he was throwing to the right person that counts a lot. His brain is working. His body is a little bit lagging that could be remedy with practice.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It's not suited for him, so he carried him to Indy to help install it there? Okay.....

If you put Minshew on the 49ers instead of Brock Purdy would anybody really notice.

I think that AOC can win the starting QB stop. As I said before AOC footwork sucks and his accuracy suffers but he was always throwing to the right person that’s huge. If he can work on the issues with his footwork I think he’ll be a really good game manager+.

11 hours ago, NickButera said:

In a vacuum it's easier to justify. But when you look at every other starting QB this year, other than Dobbs, maybe Ridder or Bryce Young, he was the worst when it came to getting the ball into the end zone.  A lot of other QB's had it as bad as he did when it came to team construction. We're arguing...which of the bottom 4 QB's does he rank in type talk. I don't see how there's an easy way to be optimistic about that.  

When I try to objectively stand back and compare it with all the arguments this place had around Carr too...... if Carr was this bad NO one would have wanted him around or even been hopeful for the next season. 

There is a difference 

difference between having limited redzone targets and just being bad at it for an entire career.

If you actually project Minshew numbers over 17 games, he throws for 4000 yards, 20-21tds and rushes for 4tds.

That's with not nearly the playmakers he will have here if he wins the job. So I guess we will have to see.

15 hours ago, NickButera said:

The Minshew love is real around this forum, every thread it seems. 

Dude threw for 15 TD's last year. And it's not like he didn't move the ball. He had a ton of yards in the time he played. It's his Red zone efficiency that's just horrible. I mean, Carr around here was loathed because he just couldn't get it done in the Red Zone, Minshew is a worse version of that.  I'm not hating, I'm just injecting some realism. AOC in his rookie year was only just a tiny tic behind Minshew in Red Zone efficiency, and if AOC improves just a little he's going to be much better than Minshew. 

I think people are eating the optimism too much, AOC is the starter by week 4 if not out the gate. 

I don’t think people are blind to the abilities or lack thereof, I think most realise he’s a pretty low level starter but it’s his personality. He’s the type of guy who’s very easy to root for. O’Connell probably has a slightly higher ceiling at this point but we are giving Minshew probably his best supporting cast. If Minshew is going to succeed anywhere or play his best ball then the odds are it’ll be here.

If either player can play at a league average level then I think we’ll be contending for the playoffs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You don’t think the whole off-season was to optimize Richard’s unique talent.

No. I think it's the same offense and certain plays put in for him such as RPOs, etc. that maximized his legs. Same as it was with Hurts.

Same scheme, route concepts, reads, etc. as it was in Philly and year 1 in Indy. What do you think he did? Rebuilt his entire offense because AR is mobile?

Minshew starts and finishes the season.

I do think it would be beneficial for the Raiders if AOC showed growth and took the job but we will have to wait and see about that. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I changed my mind. I think O’Connell starts next season. Hopefully he makes a 2nd year jump with a full offseason. Remember he didn’t get 1st team reps until JMD was fired. 

Idk man 11 yards rushing in 10 games just throws me off. Even the most immobile of QB's can get that when the pocket breaks down a few times in one game. I just really need to see some pocket manipulation and escape ability out of him, taking a sack every time the pocket collapses is not going to cut it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Idk man 11 yards rushing in 10 games just throws me off. Even the most immobile of QB's can get that when the pocket breaks down a few times in one game. I just really need to see some pocket manipulation and escape ability out of him, taking a sack every time the pocket collapses is not going to cut it.

His sacks per pass number was not that bad.  He was ranked 20th  and there were some good QBs with worse numbers.  Now I agree he can improve there and being able to take off once in a while helps to keep the defense honest.  We have to remember he was a rookie and some of this needs to be taught.  There were only 8 QBs that got less time in the pocket than him.  With a minimum of 200 passes Flacco wa the least sacked QB per pass so there is hope for O'Connell.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I do think it would be beneficial for the Raiders if AOC showed growth and took the job but we will have to wait and see about that. 

This would be pretty great to see.

I’m not really a believer in AOC, but him starting week 1 over Minschew would give me some positive vibes that he had some sort of year 2 jump. 

12 hours ago, Darbsk said:

If either player can play at a league average level then I think we’ll be contending for the playoffs.

This right here.  It’s not that I think Minschew is a great QB, but rather I’m betting he’s not a bottom 3 guy. If he get us even close league average (which I think is not out of the realm of possibilities), I think we will be pretty competitive.

I really want to drink the Kool-aid.  I love the whole “mentality” that this team is trying to personify and am rooting hard for AP and Telesco to succeed.     

Unfortunately, I’ve been conditioned to be cautiously optimistic as I can easily envision this team derailing and going off the tracks in a tremendously stupendous fashion as has been our calling. 

9-8 is what I’m honestly hoping for from this year, that’d be my personal benchmark of progress.  Just please give me something to watch on Sundays from this team!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I think an off-season to work on his body and pocket mobility will help some. He will never be a running quarterback, but he can be more mobile in the pocket to avoid sacks and get the ball off. 

You guys crack me up.  AOC is a bum clipboard holder and Minchew is not much better.  This team will be held back no matter which two of these hacks start and our playoff chances will be slim due to below average QB play.  The ****ty part is that Adams will have another wasted season here, will be 32, his stats, similar to last year will most likely suffer and his trade value will be a an all time low.  

This is the exact situation I feared when dip****s JM/DZ got rid of Carr for zero in return and paid him 6M to play last year in NO.  I would venture to say had we kept Carr last year we would have made the playoffs and would also venture to say that our playoff chances would be greater with Carr at the helm this year. 

Jimmy G, Minchew and AOC are the caliber of QB you get when you move on with zero plan in place and I would venture this is the best overall roster we have had in nearly 30 years minus QB.  A young stud QB, a CB1 and a solid RT and we would have a team that could make some playoff noise...  

I just looked back on a Jimmy G thread and the optimism on here regarding his skillset was laughable.  It's truly remarkable how clueless some fans can be... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

You guys crack me up.  AOC is a bum clipboard holder and Minchew is not much better.  This team will be held back no matter which two of these hacks start and our playoff chances will be slim due to below average QB play.  The ****ty part is that Adams will have another wasted season here, will be 32, his stats, similar to last year will most likely suffer and his trade value will be a an all time low.  

This is the exact situation I feared when dip****s JM/DZ got rid of Carr for zero in return and paid him 6M to play last year in NO.  I would venture to say had we kept Carr last year we would have made the playoffs and would also venture to say that our playoff chances would be greater with Carr at the helm this year. 

Jimmy G, Minchew and AOC are the caliber of QB you get when you move on with zero plan in place and I would venture this is the best overall roster we have had in nearly 30 years minus QB.  A young stud QB, a CB1 and a solid RT and we would have a team that could make some playoff noise...  

I just looked back on a Jimmy G thread and the optimism on here regarding his skillset was laughable.  It's truly remarkable how clueless some fans can be... 

...Signed Mr Clueless himself