Do You Like the Direction CFB is Going?

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah I think making them employees is part of the answer to centralize the money and establishing a real benefits package. That probably does cut into the super high end NIL deals, but the best players in every single pro sport are underpaid that's not a bad sign necessarily.

Let’s also be real here:

Welcome to being a state and/or federal employee, which is what a state institution is. You know what I get for being with at my job? A nice proverbial butt pat and bullet point for my resume for a tiered promotion down the road or leveraging it in the private sector.

And, the NFL is the private sector, as is your own infrastructure and content you create on your own time (YouTube, ads, etc).

I've changed my stance on these guys getting paid so I like that part of it but the transfer portal needs some limitations. I've said that and doesn't look like I'll be changing my mind there. 

I like the playoffs, now expanded playoffs (well, there should be no reason I don't like it), but I hate the new clock rules they introduced last year. Definitely more good than bad

not a fan of the conference realignment that has taken place this era. So bizarre that Pitt will play Cal and SMU as conf opponents, while WVU(after 2026) and PSU are off the schedule.

• Like 2

I think conferences exceeding 16 teams is overkill and what the big 10 has done is a step too far for my liking. Penn State doesn't get to play any single opponent every season without fail for example. No feeling of a guaranteed rivalry bout. Kinda sucks.

I like the transfer portal, but I feel like a player should only be able to transfer within the FBS once. So if he does he better not do so short sightedly.

I love NIL and the transfer portal, but I loathe the conference expansion and realignments. 

NIL and transfer portal sucks in the sense of fandom and the illusion that players were loyal to schools for altruistic reasons. They're no longer stuck at whatever school they chose and that's great, but it makes me sad when your favorite players leave. 

• Like 1

No.  Before there were do or die games nearly every week.  All the drama from the regular season is now gone.  It's going to be more and more like college basketball where no one is really going to give a **** until the post season.  I would have rather gone back to the BCS than expand the playoff from 4 to 12.  What they should have done is have the playoff be variable with the ability to expand to 8 if required.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

This thread is just all oldmanyellsatcloud.meme

Embrace the change you geriatric turds. Adapt or die. 

I'll still watch football, but calling something I think is objectively worse with a stated reason for why I think it is worse is just being honest.  It makes me less excited for college football.

• Like 1

Truthfully if they don’t come up with more restrictions and it’s a revolving door season to season as it currently is, you are probably going to see a good chunk of the fans lose interest and lose a lot of viewership in the coming years. 
That or I am a boomer at heart and the rest of society will watch more than ever. 

Posted (edited)

The season isn't going to lose it's impact just because it matters less at the top. More teams will fight harder to compete. We may get some semblance of parity going forward as a result. The only thing that's died is the cult figurehead culture.

Edited by beekay414

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

The season isn't going to lose it's impact just because it matters less at the top. More teams will fight harder to compete. We may get some semblance of parity going forward as a result. The only thing that's died is the cult figurehead culture.

So when 10-1 Alabama plays 10-1 Auburn for a spot in the SEC Championship game and the loser's season would essentially be over, now we're going to be just as excited to watch for seeding purposes?  Die hards like me and degenerate gamblers will be tuning in for sure, but you're going to lose the casuals.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2024 at 8:53 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I love NIL and the transfer portal, but I loathe the conference expansion and realignments. 

NIL and transfer portal sucks in the sense of fandom and the illusion that players were loyal to schools for altruistic reasons. They're no longer stuck at whatever school they chose and that's great, but it makes me sad when your favorite players leave. 

Agreed.  Superconferences getting rid of historic rivalries sucks ***, but the college players have been semi-pros in all but name for years, and in 99 percent of schools, they only pretend to be students.  It's been a farce for decades, so I'm glad the farce is over.  Plus, they should be able to make money playing football, since that's all they're at the school for (for most, anyway).

But **** superconferences.

21 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

So when 10-1 Alabama plays 10-1 Auburn for a spot in the SEC Championship game and the loser's season would essentially be over, now we're going to be just as excited to watch for seeding purposes?  Die hards like me and degenerate gamblers will be tuning in for sure, but you're going to lose the casuals.

No...no they won't. It's still 10-1 Bama vs 10-1 Auburn. They're not losing anyone that wasn't gonna watch anyways. Per usual, a **** ton of overthinking from the oldmanyellsatcloud crowd.