Panthers sign RB Rashaad Penny

I'll never understand how the Seahawks took a 1st round RB and decided to not start him for his first 3 seasons.  Even in his 4th season, he didn't start until the end of the year.  Just doesn't make any sense.  And it isn't like he's been unproductive.  He averages 5.6 YPC.  Like why did they take him in the first place?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I'll never understand how the Seahawks took a 1st round RB and decided to not start him for his first 3 seasons.  Even in his 4th season, he didn't start until the end of the year.  Just doesn't make any sense.  And it isn't like he's been unproductive.  He averages 5.6 YPC.  Like why did they take him in the first place?

At least they learned their lesson with Charbonnet and only wasted a 2nd round pick 

Penny did next to nothing on a team that could have used him at times last year. This is another signing that just leaves you asking, why? (Claypool to Buff being the primary)

Edited by adamq

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Pete: I want the RB here.
John: Lamar Jackson, lol?
Pete: Haha no, the actual RB I want the power back to be our next Marshawn
John: Alright write down the RB as our pick.
*intern fills out draft card*
With the late first round pick, the Seattle Seahawks take Rashaad Penny
John: what
Pete: I meant Nick Chubb
John: :|
Intern: Am I fired?
Rashaad Penny: Sits his entire time with the team

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iknowcool said:

They always did stuff like that. They had Chris Carson who was vastly superior. Recently they had Walker and took Charbonnet at 52. It's part of their (old) MO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Well he was injury prone, Chris Carson was better, and Penny is actually so NOT good that not only did he not play for Philly last year, they actively had him inactive most of the year then cut him. He was decent in Seattle for the 2nd half of 2020(?) or 2021 but that was about it.

There is absolutely something to be said though about the Seahawks wasting 1st-2nd round picks on RB's when they already have a guy.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 2:38 PM, iknowcool said:

Simple he was injury prone he would show flashes in a game and then limp off the field and miss time.

Edited by Sacks98

Penny had a great stretch in 2019 but that got cut short due to an injury - I believe against the Rams.

He took forever to fully recover, came back with a killer bunch of games at the end of the 2021 season.

Then had another explosive outing to start 2022, only to have a season-ending injury in the 5th game of the season against the Saints. Then Kenneth Walker took over and Penny was history.

Probably one of the most talented backs in the league if he could stay healthy but that looks virtually impossible at this point.