What's your missing piece?

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

A defensive player that can rise to the occasion and make a play in crunch time.

Whether its a sack, short yardage run stuff/ TFL, INT, pass breakup, forced fumble....the defense needs someone(s) to become that player

Up front, that needs to be Rashan Gary. This defense should fit him perfectly and he needs to become a guy the rest of the league talks about. Last year he was still a player who could dominate a game (Saints/Lions games) and then completely disappear in others. Consistency is his next (and maybe final) step. Should help that he's a full year+ removed from the ACL now. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, I think what is "missing" from this team is the Woodson/Matthews type of presence on defense that opponents have to account for on every snap.  This GB defense has talent, but nobody at the DPOY level we saw from Woodson/Matthews.

that is what I was thinking.  not necessarily a DPOY level player, but someone that can make a play when needed.  Even Tramon, Shields had a knack for making those types of plays.  

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Up front, that needs to be Rashan Gary. This defense should fit him perfectly and he needs to become a guy the rest of the league talks about. Last year he was still a player who could dominate a game (Saints/Lions games) and then completely disappear in others. Consistency is his next (and maybe final) step. Should help that he's a full year+ removed from the ACL now. 

Gary, Clark, Quay, Jaire, McKinney are either paid at a premium level or were high enough 1st round picks that need to become difference makers/field tilting type players

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, squire12 said:

A defensive player that can rise to the occasion and make a play in crunch time.

Whether its a sack, short yardage run stuff/ TFL, INT, pass breakup, forced fumble....the defense needs someone(s) to become that player

Hopefully that is Xavier, Cooper, Bullard, LVN, Wyatt, Brooks, etc from the newer crop of guys. we've invested way too much there recently to not have it on the roster.

Jaire and Rashan should those guys too.

Edited by Arthur Penske

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, squire12 said:

that is what I was thinking.  not necessarily a DPOY level player, but someone that can make a play when needed.  Even Tramon, Shields had a knack for making those types of plays.  

Gary, Clark, Quay, Jaire, McKinney are either paid at a premium level or were high enough 1st round picks that need to become difference makers/field tilting type players

Raji and Collins were making big plays too.  I get that the Collins injury was a big blow, but I'll never understand why that defense regressed so badly after 2010.  There were enough pieces in place to where that group should have had several years playing at a high level, but virtually everyone immediately regressed after the SB win.

Edited by Mazrimiv

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Raji and Collins were making big plays too.  I get that the Collins injury was a big blow, but I'll never understand why that defense regressed so badly after 2010.  There were enough pieces in place to where that group should have had several years playing at a high level, but virtually everyone immediately regressed after the SB win.

Cullen Jenkins' contributions were completely underestimated by Ted Thompson and he left leaving a DL with only Pickett and Raji worthy of note, there was really no consistent pass rusher opposite of CMIII, Tramon got hurt Week 1 and had to play with some shoulder sling that limited him to playing at about 60% of the player he had been, then Collins went down the very next week, and we were left with a bunch of JAGS, undeveloped rookies/2nd year players, and Woodson on the back end after Shields got concussed and was essentially out. Then Dom played waaaay too much zone while gassing his DL and EDGE players; no creativity whatsoever. I would've fired Dom after the playoff loss.

----

I'm in the Vet CB camp with this topic and an early season trade could produce that player. Rasul Douglas could've been that player for us....

I'm also under the impression that we shouldn't shy away from projecting rookies given our output from rookies the past two seasons. Nobody saw Jayden Reed's immediate impact coming and an argument could be made for that of the two TE's we drafted.

On the other hand, the energy and excitement we've seen from the players themselves may be the missing ingredient in and of itself. If we're going to reference the 2010 team, let's not forget that we got contributions from all sorts of different players that may have been inconsistent, but the plays they made were all at the right time. Sometimes, that's just how the ball bounces *shrug.

Edited by Rosser80

A sweet yet kinky brunette with the right amount of edginess and life experience that showcases an attractive curiosity combined with the right amount of common-sense and situational awareness that showcases thoughtful self-awareness and humility. A Ravenclaw in the streets and a Slytherin the sheets.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

A sweet yet kinky brunette with the right amount of edginess and life experience that showcases an attractive curiosity combined with the right amount of common-sense and situational awareness that showcases thoughtful self-awareness and humility. A Ravenclaw in the streets and a Slytherin the sheets.

(Sigh…) If she could butcher a chicken and knock back a six pack of Grain Belt you’d be describing Norm’s mom.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

They have a few missing pieces.  One is receiving from the RBs.  Aaron Jones was a pretty dynamic player and pass receiver out of the backfield.  Josh Jacobs has never had a receiving TD in his career.

I think Jones late season health and production had a lot to do with Love's late season production.  Hopefully Jacobs/Dillon/Lloyd can provide some of the same production or better than Jones did.  

Edited by NFLGURU

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

They have a few missing pieces.  One is receiving from the RBs.  Aaron Jones was a pretty dynamic player and pass receiver out of the backfield.  Josh Jacobs has never had a receiving TD in his career.

I think Jones late season health and production had a lot to do with Love's late season production.  Hopefully Jacobs/Dillon/Lloyd can provide some of the same production or better than Jones did.  

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised by the receiving from the RB's.

• Like 3

Just checking out who is still available and Connor Williams (never heard of him before) is quite an exceptional Centre (according to PFF grades). Wouldn't mind bringing him in for competition with Oline 

I think we're good to go with this roster .. just need good health and our young guys to continue to improve.  A return to form for Gary on the Dline is pretty important.  If he can finally become a dominating player it's going to help everyone else on that line.  Need the best five to emerge on the OLine and become a cohesive unit early in the season.  Need J Love to continue on the trajectory he was on in the second half of 23.  It's a good roster and I think we are legit contenders. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 6:31 AM, squire12 said:

Kinda dovetails with what my missing piece is....

....a DC who puts talented players in position to do what they do well 

I feel like we have players at every level who can make game-turning plays (KC, Gary, Quay, Jaore, McKinney), but they weren't always maximized in the previous scheme