Shedeur Sanders is going to be...

Slappy Mc

Posted (edited)

... A bust for where he is going to be drafted.

Now hear me out.

Shedeur is likely going to the 1st QB taken next year, potentially number one overall and he really shouldn't be a top 10 pick. He is the son of HoF CB Deion Sanders, and Deion has been very outspoken about who and where his son should go. The question is where does his talent value actually rate him? At the end of the day, his dad isn't going to make him a successful pro, he would have to do that himself. In his opinion, he would have been the top QB of the 2024 draft and I strongly disagree.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10114182-deion-sanders-shedeur-travis-hunter-wont-play-for-certain-teams-in-2025-nfl-draft
https://nypost.com/2024/02/09/sports/shedeur-sanders-im-better-than-every-quarterback-in-2024-nfl-draft/

Now on paper, Shedeur is a 6'2" 215lb QB with "all the traits and knowledge" to be a successful NFL QB. The main issue that I have with him is his inability to throw the ball before a player is definitively open. He frequently will shy away from throwing over the middle and holds on to the ball too long and ends up taking unnecessary sacks. One of the things I have been very disappointed with him as well is that he can run, but wants to be known more as a pocket passing QB and has an extremely high pressure-to-sack rate for a pocket QB.

Sanders’ pressure to sack rate of 25.3% in his first season at Colorado puts him in the red flag territory of players like Justin Fields and Sam Howell (that's something I touched on in my study of Jayden Daniels).

Now the main difference in my opinion of Sanders and the other three QBs listed in the article is that, barring a dramatic change in playstyle, he will be the only one to finish his college career with less than 1000 yards rushing.

I think Shedeur is a decent passer with a nice blend of touch and zip on the ball deep. I think he can make most NFL throws consistently, but the mental portion of the game is what I think will hinder him in the long run, thus making him a NFL Bust.

My thing is, if Shedeur wanted to be taken seriously as a professional QB, he should have left his dad's influence and made a name for himself. I think he is doing himself a huge disservice to stay under daddy's wings through his whole college career.

How far do you guys think Deion's influence will take him? Do you think he is worthy of a top 10 pick? Top 5? #1?

Edited by Slappy Mc

Personally, I think he will be over drafted but not #1.  I think Cam Ward will be #1.  I do not think he will be a bust but not a franchise player per se.  Just functional.

I think it's way too early to speculate on where any of the top QBs in the 2025 class will be drafted, much less how they'll fare in the NFL.  Sanders is my pick for the top QB in the class, so far, but there's a lot of room for growth in his game.  There are a few others that are in that same conversation as well, and you expect college QBs to get better as they go.

But sorry jebrick, I don't see Cam Ward as No. 1 material by any stretch.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Personally, I think he will be over drafted but not #1.  I think Cam Ward will be #1.  I do not think he will be a bust but not a franchise player per se.  Just functional.

If that happens, I guess we can slot Miami in as a playoff team. As a Miami fan, I love Ward but I also know Cristobal is garbage as a gameday coach and his offenses always underperform so it’s hard to see it for me. I do think Ward is better than Sanders though.

Edited by ttitansfan4life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Shedeur is likely going to the 1st QB taken next year, potentially number one overall

I don’t think that’s true at all. I think when it’s all said & done, he will be the 3rd-4th QB off the board. Too many guys with better measurables will leapfrog him. Especially if he walks around with an arrogance to him. He strikes me as a Bo Nix level prospect at his absolute ceiling.

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think Cam Ward will be #1

The talent level at Miami is far too low for him to go #1. I like Ward, but he has some of the same issues Sanders does, albeit with a slightly better upside IMO. Miami is gonna struggle this year, even with a bleh schedule. That’s my dawgs…but they’re pretty cheeks right now.

The dude I think we end up saying “zero to hero” for is Will Rogers from Washington (transferred). He’s gonna rip it up & climb into the conversation quickly. Idk about #1 QB, but that’s my hot riser.

Whoever has the best season between Jalen Milroe, Riley Leonard, and Drew Allar will be my #1 QB prospect. 

• Like 1

I think he will be alot like Jayden Daniels. Or whatever QB....just a project worth investing in.

I actually like him with the Giants or Tennessee.....Giants especially, I think the big market will actually help him

I feel like people should be very concerned about the 110 sacks he has taken over the past 3 years, especially considering the low caliber opponents he played in 2 of those 3 seasons. He can throw a decent ball, but he just seems to have no pocket awareness from the times I've watched him. Not going to bode well for him at the next level. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I feel like people should be very concerned about the 110 sacks he has taken over the past 3 years, especially considering the low caliber opponents he played in 2 of those 3 seasons. He can throw a decent ball, but he just seems to have no pocket awareness from the times I've watched him. Not going to bode well for him at the next level. 

What if he went to a team with a good offensive line, like Philadelphia or Detroit?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

What if he went to a team with a good offensive line, like Philadelphia or Detroit?

don't put that evil on me

besides, even if the Lions were in position to get him, Deion would tell the Lions don't do it, we won't come there

Edited by Superduperman

2 hours ago, Nobellythrower said:

Daniels is not a project qb, he's already good

Well if thats your opinion then Sanders is already good...thats kind of what I mean.....whatever your thoughts on them is, its the same prospect to me

I haven't watched much of Sanders, but I don't think he's a consensus first overall pick or even top 10 pick. I think most of the draft media believes Beck is the best QB prospect going into the 2024 college season, with a bunch of guys, including Sanders, vying for first round consideration. That said, I am firmly at the front lines of the Shedeur Sanders hater brigade.

• Like 1