Who had a HOF caliber start to their career but dropped off significantly?

Kiwibrown

Haven't seen Jake Long mentioned yet.  1st overall pick, 4 straight Pro Bowls, 2 All-Pros.  Only started 10 games after his first 6 seasons.

I didn't even remember he played for the Rams.

• Like 6

Larry Johnson. 

For the mid 2000s, he was a stud. 

In 04, playing part time in only 10 games, he ram for 581 and 9 TDs. 

In 05, he missed games and only started 9, but rushed for 1750 and 20 TDs. 

In 06, he ran for 1789 and 19 TDs. 

In 07 things went awry and he was out of the league by 2011, never getting close to his peak again. 

He was older when he first really took over in KCs backfield at 25, and so he only had a few years before the 30 wall (drafted at age 24, I believe). 

But if he had maintained his 05-06 pace, by 30 he would've been somewhere around 9k yards and close to or over 100 tds. 

He was never going to have a long career or reach some of the bulk stat benchmarks, but with that level of production....I think he would've had a shot based on his impact over a medium length of time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 10:52 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Ricky Watters didn't drop off though. He was pretty good for three different teams, and had a quality curtain-call season to end his career like Tiki Barber. Sadly like Tiki, the public perception has held him back in the eyes of HOF voters. Shame, because I think Watters along with Barber are good enough to get enshrined. I mean if Curtis Martin is in...

There is still a small chance Tiki, Taylor and Watters get in. Taylor has gotten a decent push in the last two years. 

Edited by seriously27

14 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Ndamakong Suh, very polarizing player that went from game altering early in his career to very good.

I have no stats, but gut feel to me Suh is a Hall of Famer.

The 3 DTs I think who were that good from this era were Suh, Aaron Donald, and Fletcher Cox. Maybe I'm missing someone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The 3 DTs I think who were that good from this era were Suh, Aaron Donald, and Fletcher Cox. Maybe I'm missing someone.

There is someone i'm missing here too

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They're always missing Geno Atkins. Always. Criminally underrated.

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

They're always missing Genk Atkins. Always. Criminally underrated.

I'd have mentally bucketed him in the HoVG, but fully admit that's without looking it up and I don't remember his career closely enough to die on a hill either way.

36 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Clay Matthews comes to mind. From 2009 to about 2014 he was one of the best OLB in the league. Hamstring injuries throughout his career kind of ruined it after that though. 

That's why I don't blame DeAndre Hopkins for using PEDs to aid in his hamstring recovery at 30 years old. Yeah, he was suspended and missed the first 6 games, but he was able to put up better per game numbers in 2022 on our train wreck of an offense than he did as a first-team All-Pro in 2019. And then cash in with Ten as their top offensive player versus being potentially retired/relegated to back-up duty by now.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'd have mentally bucketed him in the HoVG, but fully admit that's without looking it up and I don't remember his career closely enough to die on a hill either way.

2010s All-Decade Team, 2 First-Team All-Pros, a Second-Team nod, 8 Pro Bowls, yearly threat for double digit sacks and really the only DT besides Donald to consistently be so effective rushing the passer last decade.

He just gets punished for playing on the most nondescript, irrelevant franchise in the Marvin Lewis era, and then playing for a dumpster fire in the early Zac Taylor years. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Gerald McCoy was in the discussion with Suh from what I remember

• Like 1