TAPT Version 71.0 Kent Branstetter never votes for an incumbent

47 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Isn't that every type of potato though? 

My son doesn't like potatoes, and I'm like "well, they can be prepared with a variety of textures and don't have an overpowering flavor so I don't know WTF your problem is kid" 

Like even a basic baked potato or mashed potatoes are going to be buttery/salty/garlicy more than "potatoey" 

Irish tofu.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I haven't visited the Pack forum and TAPT thread in a while. This post caught my attention though.

Roasted Baby Reds are elite, I'd put them at #1. 

Mashed can be great but I think have too high of a variance to be ranked at 2. Baked potatos are another weird spot. I plain baked potato is alright but I don't think the existence of a fully loaded banked potato can be used as justification to place that high when we all know it's the toppings, not the tater, that's doing the heavy lifting. 

Any ranking of potato that doesn't have potato pancakes near or at the top is trash.

1 minute ago, skywindO2 said:

Are you thinking Arby's? 

I've been dieting, so I'm ALWAYS thinking of Arby's.....

But not for potato pancakes.  Gimme a good German restaurant and let me put some applesauce on that thang!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Arby's has potato pancakes? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED OF THIS

They used to have them on the menu in the 90s or so as an alternative side to their fries. I'm not sure exactly when they went away but I heard they brought them back recently. 

5 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I haven't visited the Pack forum and TAPT thread in a while. This post caught my attention though.

Roasted Baby Reds are elite, I'd put them at #1. 

Mashed can be great but I think have too high of a variance to be ranked at 2. Baked potatos are another weird spot. I plain baked potato is alright but I don't think the existence of a fully loaded banked potato can be used as justification to place that high when we all know it's the toppings, not the tater, that's doing the heavy lifting. 

I have insane respect for the baby reds. I can easily justify them as numero uno. But they do require treatment like all of them do. My baked potato is 25% butter only—ideally some corn is nearby for a small crossover when the last of the corn is trying to escape—plus there’s a steak laying there trying to sneak itself into the potato equation at ground level. My Mashed the same. The baby reds are good with just a little something but roasted and seasoned is equal to the loaded baked potato when it comes to “how much is it being helped by toppings”? 

Got dam, baby reds may be the top dog the more I think about it. They accent the steak in such a way…

6’2, waiting for Thanksgiving.

2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

What kind of Yooper wizardry is this? You Norwegian or Irish?

Mostly Greek.  Just imagine Fat Thor crossed with Hercules, only without hair.

Seriously, though.....

Just go to a good authentic German restaurant and order the potato pancakes.  Some will ask if you want sour cream.  And you should get it, because it is a potato and sour cream goes nicely with it.  But get some applesauce as well and try it both ways.

Do not, I repeat, do not go with maple syrup.  This ain't a pancake, it is flattened hash browns with a little batter to go with herbs and spices.

I've tried making them myself many times and I just flat out can't do them justice.  I keep trying, though.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I've tried making them myself many times and I just flat out can't do them justice.  I keep trying, though.

When I'm back in Milwaukee and craving a Friday fish fry, a spot with potato pancakes will definitely be a tiebreaker.  It's one of those things that really needs a deep fryer if you want to nail it.  I am pretty comfortable in the kitchen but I'm not deep frying at home.  Air fry might be a good alternative.

30 minutes ago, Refugee said:

When I'm back in Milwaukee and craving a Friday fish fry, a spot with potato pancakes will definitely be a tiebreaker.  It's one of those things that really needs a deep fryer if you want to nail it.  I am pretty comfortable in the kitchen but I'm not deep frying at home.  Air fry might be a good alternative.

Can't argue against an air fryer.  We got one, and we use it pretty regularly.

18 minutes ago, Tperk said:

I understand how to do it and have worked commercial kitchens with full fryer setups. It’s just not worth it for me to do small scale in my kitchen and clean up. I have an outdoor burner I use for crab boils and could set up a deep fry with cast iron but the amount of oil not worth the trouble for me.