Raider Training Camp 2024

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Sure, he has hit on some draft picks and while agree that poor coaching played a part in why they couldn't compete some of the blame has to be on TT for not building a well balanced roster.  The Chargers had some sexy names but lacked depth which is a major reason as to why they disappointed and would fall apart every season.  

Fortunately for us we seem to have ok depth players, we need top tier studs.

11 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I mean....we had Mayock land us Renfrow, Crosby, and Hobbs but nobody with any sense is saying Mike Mayock deserves another GM position. 

Telesco's here and so there's no point constantly dunking on the guy, but saying he knows talent because ofa couple of gimme picks isn't particularly inspiring. Aside from Keenan Allen the Chargers had years of pretty awful drafting minus the rare Denzel Perryman type pick.

Sure, he picked Herbert but everyone knew they were going QB and Burrow and Tua were off the board. They weren't getting the pick needed for Burrow and I'm not giving much credit for not trading up for Tua because Herbert was still there. What else was he going to do? Take Jordan Love at 6 overall and throw him in immediately? 

Of course, I hope he does a much better job here than he did in Southern California, because his performance there was pretty bad. In December when we beat the ever loving s#it out of the Chargers, the jokes around here were that we not only got rid of their HC, but their GM as well. It wasn't until we goofed and hired him that anyone here was willing to be a fan of his or defend his record. 

I don’t believe they drafted terrible but I do believe they have a huge injury problem half the team is hurt every year.

8 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

The difference between Mayock and Telesco is that Mayock just always wanted to "outsmart" everyone.
Which somehow worked in later rounds, but totally failed in the first rounds.

And Telesco takes the obvious picks in the first two rounds.
Like you mentioned: They needed a QB  and so he picked Herbert. He would've taken any of the Top 3 QBs that year.
But he don't find gems in the later rounds.

As a hyperbole I would say, if you let Telesco pick rounds 1-3 and Mayock 4-7 you'll get a superbowl contender within 2-3 drafts, as long as you don't let any of them pick a HC.

Cause that's another downside of Telesco. I think he formed a good roster (starter wise) but somehow the Chargers managed to underperform every year.

Coaching and depth. 

Some people say it was Spanos keeping the HCs around. I'm skeptical about it being 100% the owner, but I wouldn't entirely discount it (after all, we have seen Davis do some outright dumb things, Jerry Jones exists, etc). 

But the depth can be attributed to him. Teams get banged up. But holy moly if the Chargers caught any injury to a starter, they went downhill fast. Every team would expect a drop off, but it always seemed the drop off for the Chargers was more pronounced. Get 2 or 3 starters missing a couple of games, it's essentially time.to write off those games as losses. 

What does give me some hope is this year's class. I don't share your opinion on Telesco's early round drafts as I think aside from a few good ones here and there, there were a lot of meh to bad ones. I do agree his late rounds were pitifult. Now, we won't know for a while now how this draft will ultimately shake out, and I'm far from absolutely enamored with it, but Glaze, Eichenburg, Laube, and Devonshire were picks I didn't dislike at all. Maybe someone else was there I preferred, but they weren't total WTF picks. 

This class has the potential to be as good or better than 2019 class, which was actually pretty damn good for us (got us Jacobs, Mullen who was ok, Crosby, Moreau, and Renfrow). If we only had 5 picks and those were our 5 as rounds 1-5 respectively, it's a fantastic class. In comparison, a class consisting of Bowers and JPJ along with the other 4 mentioned could be revolutionary for us and I don't see any of them being Ferrell or Abrams level wastes. The only guys I'm not sold on are Richardson and Taylor, but I didn't hate either selection. 

This is definitely a wait and see situation. If this draft class works out as reasonably anticipated (key starters with the first 2 picks and a happy surprise or two from day 3) it would absolutely support the assumption that he's got an eye for talent- and by all accounts, Bowers, JPJ. and Glaze are doing well enough we can expect serious contribution by mid year, and I've seen Laube is crushing camp while Glaze appears to have overtaken the competition at RT.

That's all a major contrast to Telesco's Chargers classes. The real question now would be whether it was a lucky one-off class or indicative of things to come. That much, we couldn't possibly know until at least the start of the 2025 season. But, as long as the WTF picks stay a thing of the past, I'm cool letting it play out. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Both were with the Packers too. It just looks petty. Reid is a far superior coach than Gruden. While Reid’s offense has stood the test of time, Gruden offense was dated 

I don't entirely disagree, but that's a bit harsh. 

Reid's offenses got stale and pretty mediocre towards the end in Philly. They were good but not great in KC until Mahomes took over, and Mahomes would make an Anthony Lynn offense look phenomenal. 

There were times in Gruden's second run here that you could see the vision, we just lacked the right guys to execute it, and when we had them, they either stayed injured (Jacobs) or killed someone (Ruggs). 

Reds offense is very solid and does indeed withstand time, bit it's also been aided by having HoF talent at QB and TE as well as, for a time, WR. 

If Gruden's second stint offense had, say. Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill, we'd be talking about the great Raiders offensive rebirth. 

I think Reid noticed that Gruden still had some.good ideas and is happy to play NFL Saban and bring in everyone he can for a bit to get a little bit here and there. Gruden's issue was never really about his scheme no longer being effective, it was a personnel issue dating back to his late Tampa Bay days. 

I wouldn't want Gruden back, because he can't build a roster to save his life and refuses to not demand that level of control. But if we could have Gruden for just X's and O's, I'd be for it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I mean....we had Mayock land us Renfrow, Crosby, and Hobbs but nobody with any sense is saying Mike Mayock deserves another GM position. 

Telesco's here and so there's no point constantly dunking on the guy, but saying he knows talent because ofa couple of gimme picks isn't particularly inspiring. Aside from Keenan Allen the Chargers had years of pretty awful drafting minus the rare Denzel Perryman type pick.

Sure, he picked Herbert but everyone knew they were going QB and Burrow and Tua were off the board. They weren't getting the pick needed for Burrow and I'm not giving much credit for not trading up for Tua because Herbert was still there. What else was he going to do? Take Jordan Love at 6 overall and throw him in immediately? 

Of course, I hope he does a much better job here than he did in Southern California, because his performance there was pretty bad. In December when we beat the ever loving s#it out of the Chargers, the jokes around here were that we not only got rid of their HC, but their GM as well. It wasn't until we goofed and hired him that anyone here was willing to be a fan of his or defend his record. 

I get what you’re saying but since when has making the obvious, sensible pick been a bad thing? It seems like you’re criticising Telesco for doing the correct thing.

If we’d just done that for 20 years we’d probably have another Super Bowl or two……A A Ron Rodgers over Washington or Johnson instead of Arnette? Burns or Allen instead of Ferrell? Calvin Johnson? Leatherwood over Darrisaw, Ruggs over Lamb, Conley over JJ Watt, The list goes on……..

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I get what you’re saying but since when has making the obvious, sensible pick been a bad thing? It seems like you’re criticising Telesco for doing the correct thing.

If we’d just done that for 20 years we’d probably have another Super Bowl or two……A A Ron Rodgers over Washington or Johnson instead of Arnette? Burns or Allen instead of Ferrell? Calvin Johnson? Leatherwood over Darrisaw, Ruggs over Lamb, Conley over JJ Watt, The list goes on……..

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. 

I'm saying I'm not willing to give him a ton of deference and write off his overall pretty terrible track record only because he landed Herbert, who was a gimme. Rivers left, they had no QB, and if Telesco left round 1 without a QB Spanos would've likely fired him on the spot.

Why does he deserve flowers for that?  He doesn't, he did the bare minimum and I'm not of the participation trophy persuasion. If he wants credit, he needs to do his job and do it well. He didn't for the Chargers, an inferior organization in my opinion, and that's why he was available. He has an opportunity to do so, and he seems to be off to a good start. I said that. But pretending he was good in LA and deserves credit...

For what? Nailing 1 of like 100 draft picks in Herbert? The team was still bad, drafting was bad overall, and FA was atrocious. In that case, what's Matt Millen up to? He drafted Shaun Rodgers, Roy Williams, Ernie Sims, Calvin Johnson, Cliff Avril, and Jerome Felton- more legit players than Telesco did with the Chargers, and did so with the Lions in a shorter amount of time. 

46 minutes ago, Dessie said:

If Glaze can take over at RT, I'm going to he pretty happy. We didn't have world beaters there, but he wasn't facing D3 castoff talent either. Munford disappoints because he never locked it down, but if he's your backup RT, you could do much much worse. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I really can't trust our beat guys any more. Vic said Minshew had a good day the other day. Hondo said the same day the donut on his desk had a better day than the QBs. There is never any consensus, it's bizarre. 

I agree. The beat reporters inconsistency is very Bizarre. Paul Gutierrez and Q Meyers seem to be the most consistent. Hondo and Vic have an agenda 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I really can't trust our beat guys any more. Vic said Minshew had a good day the other day. Hondo said the same day the donut on his desk had a better day than the QBs. There is never any consensus, it's bizarre. 

Take whoever has the closest relationship to the team and write them off as paid hacks. 

To me, Hondo lost any and all credibility after his defenses of McDaniels went full "Your eyes are lying to you and you saw not what you saw". 

Vic can be a goober, but I don't think he's disingenuous. Hondo is absolutely disingenuous and lacks what little journalistic integrity sports beat writers retain. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

If Glaze can take over at RT, I'm going to he pretty happy. We didn't have world beaters there, but he wasn't facing D3 castoff talent either. Munford disappoints because he never locked it down, but if he's your backup RT, you could do much much worse. 

Glaze would be awesome if he can take over RT and excel at it. Most draftniks thought it was a major reach in round 3

I am starting to get concerned about JPJ. Only reason he slipped to R2 was injuries