Jordan Love extended (4 years, $220M, $75M SB, $155M GTD)

36 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Love then holding in, which was never on the cards gave Love's agents all the leverage and they bent over the Packers.

It is what it is, we had no leverage or choice and I feel we over paid to retain Love. Hopefully the positive trajectory continues but i can't honestly say this was a fair or good deal.

Holy drama

• Like 1

It's the market value for Love.  I'm good with it as long as the can keep some weapons around him.  We won't be able to keep them all, but you do Love a disservice if you don't keep the weapons stocked.

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

I kind of agree. But still think that the agents 'won' here.

They played a brilliant game. Got the media hype train on their side this off season making out that Love is the next best QB behind Pat off half a season of play, and that creates the narrative that he should be paid accordingly.

Love then holding in, which was never on the cards gave Love's agents all the leverage and they bent over the Packers.

It is what it is, we had no leverage or choice and I feel we over paid to retain Love. Hopefully the positive trajectory continues but i can't honestly say this was a fair or good deal.

Jets had all the leverage 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

No.  The point being is that Love's value was similar to the value of Trey Lance at that moment in time, probably less since Lance is younger and was a higher pick originally.  The Packers were not going to get more than a 4th.  Now, it looks like that was a good move for the Packers.  But that doesn't change the fact that Love had very little value to any trade partner before the middle of last season.  

Just compare their first two seasons:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LancTr00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LoveJo03.htm

Don't get me wrong.  I love me some Jordan Love.  But when establishing that value, you have to pretend you are the Saints, or Broncos.  You need a QB, you have the 8th pick or something.  Are you going to take a rookie, or a guy with 2 TDs and 4 INTs in two seasons of limited playing time?

Moot point .. Packers weren't trading him .. period.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Holy drama

No drama. If you are being honest with yourself you might acknowledge that this is a lot of pay based on a small sample of productivity and in the back of your mind you are praying he carries on from where he left off. Even though Rodgers always got top dollar there was certainty with what he could deliver. These is a fair amount of hope laddened in this deal.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

No drama. If you are being honest with yourself you might acknowledge that this is a lot of pay based on a small sample of productivity and in the back of your mind you are praying he carries on from where he left off. Even though Rodgers always got top dollar there was certainty with what he could deliver. These is a fair amount of hope laddened in this deal.

Packers bent over backwards is drama.

GB having no leverage is drama.

There is always risk with larger long-term contracts.  There is not a certainty with any player.  Player performance fluctuates and will continue to do so.  

What would be the number of games where the sample size become enough that you feel less concern?

You have seen Love perform at an elite level, so you know he has that capability.  It's up to him and the coaching staff to create the best situation for that to continue. 

I'll ask you this, what was GB alternative to doing this contract?

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Rodgers got his 1st extension, which made him the 4th highest paid QB in the NFL, after 7 games as a starter. Love had to win much more before getting his 1st big extension. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Packers bent over backwards is drama.

GB having no leverage is drama.

There is always risk with larger long-term contracts.  There is not a certainty with any player.  Player performance fluctuates and will continue to do so.  

What would be the number of games where the sample size become enough that you feel less concern?

You have seen Love perform at an elite level, so you know he has that capability.  It's up to him and the coaching staff to create the best situation for that to continue. 

The best alternative would be to have a Time Machine, stop the shenanigans of 2020 from happening, Love gets a preseason thereby accelerating his timeline, Pack takes the DangeRuss deal from Denver and we get 2 years of Love starting and ridiculous draft capital as we dominate the NFL for a clean decade. As an added  bonus, the globe  avoids massive crisis and pandemic fallout. 

Second best alternative is what we have going for us now. 

29 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I have less issue with the rest of the 2020 class of QBs getting paid as they have performed for more than a bunch of games and they gave their teams a few cheap years.

The point you made 'what was the Packers supposed to do?' Nothing because they had no leverage in this. 

They are praying harder than the rest of the teams that signed up 2020 QBs to longer term deals that their QB performs.

I accept the deal is what it is but I can't say this was a win-win for both the Packers and Love. Love won this and nothing wrong with that in itself, as a fan and a supporter of the Packers first I think we got done.

Did we have alternative? Nope.

Do I like the deal? Nope

Do I hope that Love plays better than any 2020 QB going forward? Yup

Only other thing I would say should we have done a richer long term deal last year instead of the extension. Seems like the risk would have evened out. Less proven last year but a cheaper deal than this

15 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I have less issue with the rest of the 2020 class of QBs getting paid as they have performed for more than a bunch of games and they gave their teams a few cheap years.

The point you made 'what was the Packers supposed to do?' Nothing because they had no leverage in this. 

They are praying harder than the rest of the teams that signed up 2020 QBs to longer term deals that their QB performs.

I accept the deal is what it is but I can't say this was a win-win for both the Packers and Love. Love won this and nothing wrong with that in itself, as a fan and a supporter of the Packers first I think we got done.

Did we have alternative? Nope.

Do I like the deal? Nope

Do I hope that Love plays better than any 2020 QB going forward? Yup

Only other thing I would say should we have done a richer long term deal last year instead of the extension. Seems like the risk would have evened out. Less proven last year but a cheaper deal than this

We really don’t know if Love wasn’t betting on himself last season in terms of the extension. Get offered mid money last year, but have confidence that he’s top tier, why wouldn’t he wait to sign until this year? I just don’t think the discussions really got anywhere last year.

• Like 1