Packers extend QB Jordan Love (4 years, $220M, $155M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

25 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Just because it's not big enough to make a narrow prediction on a career future QB rating off of exclusively doesn't mean it's small.

Most mediocre, Dalton line guys go their whole career without a stretch of play as good as Love had (the same can be said for pre-injury Trevor Lawrence this past year). Show me 8 games where Kirk Cousins ($185MM), Derek Carr ($160MM), or, as much as this hurts me to say because the Lions are great, Jared Goff ($212MM) played like Love did.

Just because there's risk doesn't mean the sample is so small it's a bad bet. I'd so much rather be the Packers and Jaguars than the bottom 12 teams stuck in QB hell, and what the entire people talking about sample size aren't saying is that's the alternative here. There's a reason every team is doing this.

It’s a small sample size 

I get that you have to be positive, I mean I would be too. But claiming it’s not a small sample size by going on and on with 3 paragraphs, leads me to believe that you also secretly think in your heart of hearts that it’s a small sample size. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

It’s a small sample size 

I get that you have to be positive, I mean I would be too. But claiming it’s not a small sample size by going on and on with 3 paragraphs, leads me to believe that you also secretly think in your heart of hearts that it’s a small sample size. 

I'm not a Packer fan, I want the Lions to win the division. My opinion on the value of that particular sample size is more based on my experience with small sample size data in my job, plus just being a sports fan and having watched Love because I live in the area and get the games.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

0% chance that Jerry is going to move on from Dak.  That $40M in dead cap in 2025 looms too large.  And given that their current depth chart behind Dak is Cooper Rush and Trey Lance, they don't have a starting QB on that roster and they're probably not going to be anywhere near bad enough to select one high.

Jerry won't have a choice in the matter unless he gives Dak what he wants which is going to be $57-60M in the coming months. He can't be Franchised in 2025!

Dak holds all the leverage. $40M cap hit but not on the hook for $60M - 200M guaranteed? Not as far fetched as you may think IMO. Not with Lamb and Parsons on the horizon too. 

They're not signing all three to Top Paid $$$$.

Edited by Nabbs4u

51 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Ten game blocks to match Love's last 10 games, 21/3 108 rating. Cousins last 10 games of 2015; 23/3 119 rating, for instance. 

How was Cousin’s playoff performance that year?  What was the final score and what team knocked them into the offseason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLK95Qxcco

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:Just because there's risk doesn't mean the sample is so small it's a bad bet. I'd so much rather be the Packers and Jaguars than the bottom 12 teams stuck in QB hell, and what the entire people talking about sample size aren't saying is that's the alternative here. There's a reason every team is doing this.

This is what seems to be lost on people, the QB market is high ticket no matter what.  There really is no middle class for starters. Also, unlike the recently out of control WR market, QB play really does move the needle more than any other position and if you’ve got a guy, you will eventually have to pay him. It’s not worth going back and forth about sample size.  Doubt Love if you want but just be truthful about not believing he’s a true starting level QB when you see him light it up for years come. The youngest team in the league is not done and actually just getting started. 

This sample size thing is like deja vu for me after the exact same argument was beaten to death over drafting Amarius Mims after his 8 games.  

While I didn't think Love would match Burrow or Lawrence, I think it will work out just fine for the Packers and him.

6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

As if Browns fans know what good QB work looks like.

On the contrary, we’ve seen guys have 9 good games and then over-hyped them. Ask Derek Anderson and Baker Mayfield.

And no offense, but comments like this are an elitist “You don’t know what you’re talking about because you root for _____ team” take which make zero sense about actual contribution to discussion.

It’s like saying that if you’re a Chiefs fan, you’re automatically an expert on everything and therefore Krill is a knowledgeable poster. 

• Like 8

As for the deal itself, it was bound to happen. He didn’t just do it against dumpster squads last year, although the majority were mediocre at best, but he also had nice games vs the Lions & Chiefs.

My biggest concern isn’t even the first 8-9 games, but rather if teams will have film on him and adjust.

But, 4 years is reasonable and they weren’t moving on after this year or next anyway regardless of what happens.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Jerry won't have a choice in the matter unless he gives Dak what he wants which is going to be $57-60M in the coming months. He can't be Franchised in 2025!

Dak holds all the leverage. $40M cap hit but not on the hook for $60M - 200M guaranteed? Not as far fetched as you may think IMO. Not with Lamb and Parsons on the horizon too. 

They're not signing all three to Top Paid $$$$.

Kinda my point.  Right now, Dak knows that Dallas needs him more than he needs Dallas.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think Dak has any desire to leave Dallas but if push came to shove, he's gonna go to the highest bidder.  And extending guys like CeeDee Lamb and Micah Parsons but not re-signing Dak Prescott without a replacement in place seems like questionable decision making at best.

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Most mediocre, Dalton line guys go their whole career without a stretch of play as good as Love had (the same can be said for pre-injury Trevor Lawrence this past year). Show me 8 games where Kirk Cousins ($185MM), Derek Carr ($160MM), or, as much as this hurts me to say because the Lions are great, Jared Goff ($212MM) played like Love did.

The two that immediately came to mind, one in favor of your argument and one against, is Russell Wilson and Nick Foles. Obviously Russ wasn’t mediocre, just that those are the first two I can remember that were rattling off a bunch of strong games.

Not sure if they track exactly, although off the top of my head I’m pretty sure Russ’ definitely did.

EDIT: And actually I’m pretty sure Andy Dalton and Derek Carr both had really strong stretches in 2015ish? Not quite where Love was at, with a few more INTs and thus lower passer rating, but also way above their career level of play.