Packers extend QB Jordan Love (4 years, $220M, $155M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah sorry, I almost edited this in, you can add or subtract guys and get mostly the same story here. Even if you think he's top 10 percentile, or 15 percentile because you have 5 or 10 other performances, the big picture is he didn't play like a borderline guy for long enough that he's probably not a borderline guy.

Yeah no worries. It’s a drop in the bucket, doesn’t change your overall point at all. 

I look at it as more of a spectrum in terms of, yeah, maybe only 5, 10, 15, whatever number of guys could say they matched that level of play (whatever parameter you want to use, even eye test) in a given span (7, 8, 12 games, whatever). Is it exceedingly likely he isn’t Jameis Winston or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Kyle Orton based on that? I’d say so, but am I confident that that means he’s going to be a top, top QB (which are the only guys I’m comfortable paying this kind of money to, JMO) for the foreseeable future? Not sure about that, tbd. Not saying he can’t or he won’t, just that that’s a question mark. If it were as simple as just repeating past events or returning to a level of play that you’ve already exhibited over a certain span, then I think there’d be a lot less down years across the board here.

Between this thread, the Lawrence one, and the Tua thread, it seems like I’m a bit on the frugal side and plenty of people are okay paying the QB as long as it’s the price for a ticket to the dance. I’d just wanna see more before committing those dollars. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Soko said:

Yeah no worries. It’s a drop in the bucket, doesn’t change your overall point at all. 

I look at it as more of a spectrum in terms of, yeah, maybe only 5, 10, 15, whatever number of guys could say they matched that level of play (whatever parameter you want to use, even eye test) in a given span (7, 8, 12 games, whatever). Is it exceedingly likely he isn’t Jameis Winston or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Kyle Orton based on that? I’d say so, but am I confident that that means he’s going to be a top, top QB (which are the only guys I’m comfortable paying this kind of money to, JMO) for the foreseeable future? Not sure about that, tbd. Not saying he can’t or he won’t, just that that’s a question mark. If it were as simple as just repeating past events or returning to a level of play that you’ve already exhibited over a certain span, then I think there’d be a lot less down years across the board here.

Between this thread, the Lawrence one, and the Tua thread, it seems like I’m a bit on the frugal side and plenty of people are okay paying the QB as long as it’s the price for a ticket to the dance. I’d just wanna see more before committing those dollars. 

I totally agree with this.

I think there's definite residual downside where he mostly plays under control but makes some boneheaded decisions from time to time, or is inconsistent about looking DBs away so he struggles against good ones, or hell maybe he's been rushing through reads a bit and that's why it looks comfortable, so he'll end up being someone who misses open receivers more than you'd like. Who knows there are lots of reasons he may not be in the absolute top tier of QB, and I don't think he's a shoe in to be a perennial MVP candidate. I think if most everything goes right he'll be Matt Stafford-ish, a bit less gifted but the better system/cast is going to compensate. Or maybe "Herbert if you got the Chargers stink off him", somewhere in that area.

And as much as I more or less accept these types of deals even for players I'm not high on, I'm not going anywhere near the Tua thread so I get the hesitation on your part.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2024 at 4:27 AM, MWil23 said:

On the contrary, we’ve seen guys have 9 good games and then over-hyped them. Ask Derek Anderson and Baker Mayfield.

And no offense, but comments like this are an elitist “You don’t know what you’re talking about because you root for _____ team” take which make zero sense about actual contribution to discussion.

It’s like saying that if you’re a Chiefs fan, you’re automatically an expert on everything and therefore Krill is a knowledgeable poster. 

Anderson and Mayfield showed flashes in games but nothing like what Love did down the stretch.  Not to that level of consistency.

It was a joke lol.  I lived in Akron for 9 years.  I've seen the struggle up close.  Some of my closest friends are lifelong Browns fans.  But even casual NFL fans are aware of Cleveland's QB struggles.  They're legendary.  

We've seen the jersey.

spotted-today-v0-ee0gngcpq4bc1.jpeg?auto

Keep it a buck lol.

Edited by thrILL!
fr

8 hours ago, DawgX said:

Clown post.

in-living-color-homey-the-clown.gif

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Doesn’t matter or change my statement. Encouraging trash posting and trolling with insults is part of the problem.

Clowns make jokes.  Did you hear the one about Love only being good for 9 days?  lol it's a sidesplitter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Clowns make jokes.  Did you hear the one about Love only being good for 9 days?  lol it's a sidesplitter.

Bro had like half a season of good play. Maybe this move will work out for GB - and knowing their luck, it probably will. But it's still a pretty big gamble.

But you know you made a clown post because being a Browns fan had nothing to do with what I said.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

this is absolutely based on potential rather than what he's actually shown right? Pretty much every list out there and even discussions here have him just outside top10 qbs in the league

Maybe those lists suck

This forum and the gen pop has been wrong about Love every step of the way lol

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Goff in 2017, 2018 and 2022. Cousins in 2015, 2020 and 2021. 

Goff got paid AFTER taking the Rams to the Superbowl. It took Cousins getting franchised tagged before he got the big payday. Im not all familiar with Carr though so I cant speak on him.

• Like 1

Please drop the “clown” garbage and stop discussing fans.  Stick to the topic.  

Debate and discuss Love and his contract.  If you disagree with someone’s opinion on Love, do not derail the topic to discuss what team they root for.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I couldn’t imagine watching Jordan Love play and being upset at this contract . 

I could say that about a number of players, to be fair. Other fans don't watch them as much. 

I mean, I could easily say it about Brock Purdy yet I go into the packers forum and I'm pretty sure 3 / 4 think purdy is basically an NPC the caliber of Jimmy G. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Maybe those lists suck

This forum and the gen pop has been wrong about Love every step of the way lol

I’ll definitely take the LaFleur, Clements and Gute evaluation over the TOP10 NFL QBS,  YOU WONT BELIEVE WHO MADE NUMBER 7 lists.  GB has been doing it right for several decades, nothing is guaranteed but there are good bets when it comes to that kind of track record. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I’ll definitely take the LaFleur, Clements and Gute evaluation over the TOP10 NFL QBS,  YOU WONT BELIEVE WHO MADE NUMBER 7 lists.  GB has been doing it right for several decades, nothing is guaranteed but there are good bets when it comes to that kind of track record. 

Love has always had all the tools. When the GB FO made the decision to jettison Rodgers (when they didn't have to from a PR perspective) it should have alerted sharps who follow the NFL that Love would very very very likely be (among) the highest paid QBs this off-season. 

This result has been pretty obvious for much longer than "9 games".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Foles and Cousins in 2015 are the two among these that I would buy. Using QB rating exclusively is fine to filter guys out, but having watched Goff in 2018 he clearly held the Rams back, and even in his recent years Love looks quicker through reads with a stronger arm .

I joke about asking who ended 2015 Cousins’ season (spoiler alert, it was the Pack, in a route, complete *** whoopin’, you like that?!?) but think it’s a fairly salient point. First of all, I agree with your take. If you have to reach back to cherry pick statistical windows, it means it’s a relatively rare accomplishment. More importantly, if you compare two guys with those stats and one showed up in the playoffs and one crumbled, well that’s more than a tiebreaker. It shows who was and is the better player. 

Edited by Refugee

He also really only struggled for 6 halves of football, where Lafleur was trying to protect a first time starter by setting him up with third and short with a run-run-pass set. There were also 7 third downs in those six halves where somebody ran a wrong route, and 5 that were called back with holding or something else non-qb related. Hard to develop a rhythm like that. Once Lafleur opened up/just got better at calling games for Love either because of our record or the score in those games he looked good - still had mistakes but that's to be expected.

The whole team was young and making mistakes, that's why GB and Love struggled for half the season. It's really not rocket science.