How Are Those Rookies Doing?

Chiefer

Which positions actually see preseason rookie success carry over to the regular season? I think OL and the offensive skill positions are really the only positions that, if they show out in preseason in a big way, you can expect good things from them right away. All the defensive positions, QB, and TE I'm not sure if there is any correlation between preseason success to regular season/career success. Does that sound right?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Which positions actually see preseason rookie success carry over to the regular season? I think OL and the offensive skill positions are really the only positions that, if they show out in preseason in a big way, you can expect good things from them right away. All the defensive positions, QB, and TE I'm not sure if there is any correlation between preseason success to regular season/career success. Does that sound right?

Yep! Robbie Chosen Andersen and Fat Rob Kelley both had amazing rookie pre-seasons in 2016 and that translated to them both being good starters at times early in their careers.

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Yep! Robbie Chosen Andersen and Fat Rob Kelley both had amazing rookie pre-seasons in 2016 and that translated to them both being good starters at times early in their careers.

Good to have some more anecdotal evidence of this. I'd like to see if it holds up under more scrutiny though. Some sort of graph that plots preseason PFF grade vs regular season PFF grade for rookies, broken down by position, would be my first guess. My hypothesis is we'd still good/great preseason grades for OL, RB, WR stay good/great in the regular season, while we'd still little to no correlation for bad/average OL, RB, WR grades and also grades for all other positions between preseason and regular season.

JJ McCarthy- He had an amazing camp and absolutely balled out in his preseason game. His work ethic is unparalleled and has all the intangibles needed to lead a team.  I have no doubt he will lead us to a Super Bowl.

Dallas Turner- Had a sack and some pressures in the first preseason game and didn't play in the 2nd. He will be a game wrecker. 

Khyree Jackson- RIP

Walter Rouse- Seems to do okay against 2's and 3's, but we will develop him to be a swing tackle

Will Reichard- He is an absolute machine. He just went 8/8 in practice again and has only missed two kicks all preseason, and both were in the same practice. He will be a top 5 kicker this year, and will finally break our kicking curse. 

Michael Jurgens- He is okay. I think the plan is to develop him into our starting center for next year.

Levi Drake-Rodriguez- Already a fan favorite with an insane motor and a quick get-off. He has sealed up a roster spot.

On 8/20/2024 at 3:25 PM, Rrrrrrrams said:

beaux limmer (81.7 pff grade after two games) got some first team reps today at c, with avila at left guard.

Sir, his name is Forge Shadow draft superstar Beaux Limmer

Maye - started out pretty rough, victim of a horrific OL, but it’s clicked somehow and he’s in the discussion to start now

Robinson - elevated to potential starter already. Is that more a comment on the state of the starting OL? Probably 

Wallace - meh

Dial - sucks 

Polk - he’s working with the firsts, I think he’ll be a starter day 1. Most of his catches have been on short or inters, but he’s hauled in a few impressive shots too

Baker - inconsistent. He’s made some big plays but also was responsible for big drops. He’s proving why he was a 4th rnd pick and not a 2nd. He’s got all the tools but is streaky

• Like 1