• Charvarius Ward
    • L'Jarius Sneed
    • Darius Slay
    • Derek Stingley Jr
    • Jaire Alexander
    • Marlon Humphrey
    • Trevon Diggs
    • Other

Bias wants me to pick Johnson, especially since he has been getting overlooked and playing well with a Big Sky-level passrush until this last season, but Sauce just is #1 IMO right now. 

• Like 1

A handful of guys have arguments, but I think it’s Sauce. 

Not picking Gardner seems to revolve around A) only basing it off 2023, or B) only basing it off a large body of work before 2022. Sauce had about the best season at CB last year, and was a hair below the top seasons this year (Johnson, LJ, Ward probably). Prototypical size, athleticism, durable, and entering Y3 you’re not expecting a decline due to age. 

Two seasons he’s given up a total of two TDs, less than 800 yards, and about 55% completion percentage. Teams were afraid to throw against him this year, less than 4 attempts per game.

1) Sauce

2) Jaylon Johnson

3) Marlon Humphrey

4) LJariius Snead

5) Derek Stingley

Surtain is great at locking down guys with 4.5 speed… probably the best lockdown corner when it comes to locking down 4.5 speed or worse. But Elite WR’s who also have burner speed kill him. Tyreek Hill will make Surtain look like a high schooler every time. 

• Like 1

Jalen Ramsey

I said this already once, at the 1:54 mark in this video, that interception a 29 year old Jalen Ramsey made last year, no other CB in the NFL could do that or has shown the ability to make a play like that.  So until someone does Ramsey when fully healthy is the best, now is he fully healthy or will he ever be again, that is the question.  But when fully healthy he can do things Jaylon Johnson, Sauce and Surtain cannot do in terms of straight ball skills and diving to intercept the football.

He only played 10 games last year but is poised to have a good season and if he can play the full one in Miami, he will make what his 8th straight Pro Bowl and is probably on an All Pro team.  Health is the only issue with him.  

On 8/6/2024 at 8:56 PM, Tank4Drake said:

1) Sauce

2) Jaylon Johnson

3) Marlon Humphrey

4) LJariius Snead

5) Derek Stingley

Surtain is great at locking down guys with 4.5 speed… probably the best lockdown corner when it comes to locking down 4.5 speed or worse. But Elite WR’s who also have burner speed kill him. Tyreek Hill will make Surtain look like a high schooler every time. 

I'm not sure Humphrey is a top 3 CB at this point. Still good, but I feel like his play has declined a bit.

Ward deserves more love.

On 8/10/2024 at 7:55 AM, DawgX said:

I'm not sure Humphrey is a top 3 CB at this point. Still good, but I feel like his play has declined a bit.

Ward deserves more love.

He had a "bad" year last year playing through injuries and being a little heavier than he usually is. He's healthy and slimmed down for this year so we'll see if he can rebound back to his usual self. 

On 8/12/2024 at 11:27 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

I think Surtain.

I’ve said the same thug forever but people here hate him. I mean they do show mad prove with the metrics. lol. Still though, all the top level WRs always mention him. Gotta mean something. 

Homer in me wants to say Jaire Alexander.  But Sauce is pretty amazing.  

Maybe I'd have JA over him had the prior DC (Barry) just let him man up 1's game after game.   Thought JA proved he was "that guy" when covering Jefferson, but alas, it never materialized under Barry.

It's telling that two CB the Chiefs acquired for next to nothing--4th round and UDFA--figure in the top 10 for other teams. 

When Sauce is healthy and playing well, no one is close. He wasn't in 2023. 

With apologies to Jaylen Johnson, Trevon Diggs, and AJ Terrell, Sneed was the best CB in the 2020 draft and he was listed as a S.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-cb-jalen-ramsey-agrees-to-record-three-year-72-3-million-extension

It is not everything but money talks and Jalen Ramsey is the highest paid CB in the NFL again with that new three year extension.  Is slightly higher paid per year than Patrick Surtain who also just recently signed.

I still say if he is fully healthy his ball skills make him the best CB because Gardner and Surtain do not have the same level of ball skills and awareness that Jalen Ramsey has.  But age also comes into play and can Ramsey stay healthy or not.