AP names Gardner Minshew starting QB

NYRaider

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean he didn’t turn it over. Granted that one throw to Mayer was risky but AOC threw a pretty inexcusable pick 6

He missed a lot of passes and made a really bad read for a vet QB. It is what it is I guess, I don’t expect us to be passing it 40 times a game like we have in the preseason games thus far. 

https://x.com/TheMarcJohnNFL/status/1825245095152828777

this would have been as bad as AOC’s pick.

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean he didn’t turn it over. Granted that one throw to Mayer was risky but AOC threw a pretty inexcusable pick 6

Even with the pick 6, I think O'Connell looked like the better quarterback last night. But, that's why I wrote that the pick 6 may have tipped the scales for Pierce, which I consider to be a bad decision.

• Like 1

We knew neither was an ideal option and both would start multiple games, either due to injury or underperforming. The order doesn't really matter. It's the top priority next offseason and I'm curious how many teams we'll have to bid with considering how many were drafted high this year.

What I want to see is defense and seeing how the rookies do. It's preseason and missing talent, but the running game didn't impress me at all. Nor did the run defense. 

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

At the end of the day, AOC proved when pressured he’s pretty much compromised. That pick 6 proved it 

This is also mostly true for Minshew. He is more mobile, but I don't think he's meaningfully mobile. I also don't have a good impression of him under pressure. They're both probably not going to be great under pressure.

12 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

This is also mostly true for Minshew. He is more mobile, but I don't think he's meaningfully mobile. I also don't have a good impression of him under pressure. They're both probably not going to be great under pressure.

Yeah all of what you're saying is true but in regards to why Gardner Minshew won the job is because he took care of the football better. It's really that simple

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah all of what you're saying is true but in regards to why Gardner Minshew won the job is because he took care of the football better. It's really that simple

It really is that simple. For better or worse that is something AP is going to prioritize in a major manner even in a small sample size. I can’t say it’s the right decision but I don’t think it’s a crazy huge mistake either. I think both end up playing this year so at the end of the day unless AOC comes in and kills it, it’s a moot point to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think if Minshew plays bad, AOC could be a good guy to get some playing time. That being said, with Bowers and Adams on the field, I expect Minshew to move the ball well and get the ball out on time. Especially if Miller/JPJ come back and play well.

I also expect him to scramble and pick up 1-2 first downs per game with his feet.

See I was thinking about the 1-2 first downs by scrambling and AP could have designed bootlegs that he runs a few times a game 

so it could be more.

• Like 1