Surveilling the sophomore QBs

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Levis hasn't been too hot, but I wouldn't close the book on him yet. He's played 2 defenses that look pretty solid so far. He could take a few weeks, but the jury is still out. 

Richardson is still effectively a rookie and I expect growing pains. He flashes his skills though. 

Stroud looks rock solid again. 

AOC isn't playing. 

Young is done. 

I'd say the jury is still out on everyone except Stroud.  Although I think we're very close with Young looking unsalvageable.  But he is still young, and we'll see with Dalton under center how bad the supporting cast really is.  But the early returns are not promising, to say the least.

Levis has been a solid QB except for about five snaps.  Not a spectacular QB, but a guy you would think is the kind of guy you can win with.  But those five plays have been incredibly boneheaded, obviously bad decision type of decisions that swing entire games, made at the worst possible times.

The first game has already become a meme, but this week, he fumbled by trying to make a shovel pass while being tackled, and backwards.  This resulted in a turnover, and it was on like the 20 yard line when the Titans were ahead 7-0.  Just take the sack and the Titans get 3 points, at least.

Next play, I'm about 50/50 on whether it was his fault, but it was a bomb pass thrown to Treylon Burks, landing right in his arms, but the defender came away with it.  I don't know what the plan for that play was, but the execution was more Burks' fault than Levis's.  Still, I don't know if that was supposed to be the plan, because it would have been a strange decision right after a turnover.  So it's at least a little bit Levis's fault for Burks being the guy he chose to throw to when he wasn't wide open.  The result then was not super negative, since he has a huge arm, it ended up being a punt on first down.

The bigger worry is that his decision-making looks to have taken a step backward from last year, and this might be just who he is: an OK QB most of the time who makes absolutely moronic decisions a couple of times a game.  I don't know if that's fixable, but it might be.  We'll see.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'd say the jury is still out on everyone except Stroud.  Although I think we're very close with Young looking unsalvageable.  But he is still young, and we'll see with Dalton under center how bad the supporting cast really is.  But the early returns are not promising, to say the least.

Levis has been a solid QB except for about five snaps.  Not a spectacular QB, but a guy you would think is the kind of guy you can win with.  But those five plays have been incredibly boneheaded, obviously bad decision type of decisions that swing entire games, made at the worst possible times.

The first game has already become a meme, but this week, he fumbled by trying to make a shovel pass while being tackled, and backwards.  This resulted in a turnover, and it was on like the 20 yard line when the Titans were ahead 7-0.  Just take the sack and the Titans get 3 points, at least.

Next play, I'm about 50/50 on whether it was his fault, but it was a bomb pass thrown to Treylon Burks, landing right in his arms, but the defender came away with it.  I don't know what the plan for that play was, but the execution was more Burks' fault than Levis's.  Still, I don't know if that was supposed to be the plan, because it would have been a strange decision right after a turnover.  So it's at least a little bit Levis's fault for Burks being the guy he chose to throw to when he wasn't wide open.  The result then was not super negative, since he has a huge arm, it ended up being a punt on first down.

The bigger worry is that his decision-making looks to have taken a step backward from last year, and this might be just who he is: an OK QB most of the time who makes absolutely moronic decisions a couple of times a game.  I don't know if that's fixable, but it might be.  We'll see.

Fair points. 

With Levis, I wanna see the year play out. He's popped just enough between last year and this year that  it looks like he could turn into something as the new offense rounds into form. The boneheaded decisions are definitely there, but I do believe there's coachability as time goes on. 

One could argue that Young underwent a coaching and offense change too. For me, the difference is I haven't really seen Young look remotely as good as his draft classmates. 2 systems and 2 coaches known for work with QBs and he still looks totally out of his depth. A 3rd staff elsewhere might get something out of him, but it's pretty doubtful to me. 

Edited by ronjon1990

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Sounds like (young) Eli. He used to drive us crazy with left-handed passes and the back foot nonsense. Young Eli was pretty mediocre, though, so I'm mostly just reminiscing. But give me a dumb gunslinger over a Checkdown Charlie any day!

Edited by redsoxsuck05

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

They didn't sign all of those players in the offseason to do something like that.

I mean, the other option is to play Mason Rudolph which isn’t exactly season-saving. The worst thing the titans could do is win 6 or 7 games with Rudolph playing and being stuck in no man’s land in the draft needing a QB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, the other option is to play Mason Rudolph which isn’t exactly season-saving. The worst thing the titans could do is win 6 or 7 games with Rudolph playing and being stuck in no man’s land in the draft needing a QB. 

It’s not like they have a young roster. They have a ton of aging veterans.