Patriots name Jacoby Brissett Week 1 starter

Soko

Jerod Mayo's public comments about the QB competition were so insanely flip-floppy and weird. It really felt like he had his convictions, but Kraft or someone else was meddling.

This is probably the right move, but I don't think that Pats OL is going to get significantly better throughout the year. If you aren't playing Maye because of that, which is the only logical reason I'd personally accept, I still think it'd be better to let him take his lumps while getting the experience.

I get it. It looks like they don’t have a winnable game until Oct. 20th, so why rush a guy they’ve bet their future on if it’s unlikely to lead to wins, especially if he still has things to clean up with his footwork?

I think he starts late October. 

• Like 2

This is just my opinion. I understand this decision because they're having major issues on the Offensive Line. They want to protect him.

But I actually disagree with this move & I'll tell you why.

1) I think Maye actually gives them the better chance of winning now. Is he ready? Maybe & maybe not. But, I would rather have a player with his speed & playmaking ability to offset at bad line. Sure, there's going to be both good & bad plays because of this. But I believe he will have the ability to escape danger, much more than Jacoby Brissett will. We saw K.J. Henry who we cut, plant Jacoby in the ground. Maybe Drake Maye escapes that sack, by spinning or bootlegging for a 1st down. We'll never know.

2) With Mayes mobility, this would open up a lot more of the Offense, than what Jacoby will provide. Plus, Maye has a better arm. He will drop defenses back, which in turn will open up their running game. My point? New England could be more aggressive with Maye behind Center, than conservative with Jacoby. They could attack defenses, rather than hoping not to screw up.

3) Drake is a bigger dude. I think he would likely have more of a chance to shake off potential blitzers, or incoming D-lineman than what Jacoby will or can do. His ability to extend plays, might be the difference of 1 or 2 wins this year.

Again, I understand the decision to start Jacoby Brissett. I just don't agree with it.

He's going to get hit eventually. Why sit the #3 pick on the bench, when he's clearly the better player.

Just my take.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, viking said:

Pats should have traded back with the Vikings.

Drake Maye is gonna get ruined 

Well I mean both of his meniscus's are currently attached. Would he have made it through a Vikings TC? Or is McCarthy just unlucky?

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 8:25 AM, minutemancl said:

This is probably the right move, but I don't think that Pats OL is going to get significantly better throughout the year. If you aren't playing Maye because of that, which is the only logical reason I'd personally accept, I still think it'd be better to let him take his lumps while getting the experience.

He will get his chance but why would you put him through this gauntlet of Defenses to start the season? Take lumps?

@ Bengals

Vs Seahawks 

@ Jets

@ 49ers

vs Dolphins

vs Texans

If/when the Patriots start 2-4, 1-5 or 0-6 then Maye can be viewed as the potential savior, can't  get any worse type scenario and face

@Jags, vs Jets,  @Titans, @Bears.

Patriots schedule is brutal. Supporting cast not that great. Last thing you need to occur is a deer in headlights David Carr type situation unfolding.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

This is just my opinion. I understand this decision because they're having major issues on the Offensive Line. They want to protect him.

But I actually disagree with this move & I'll tell you why.

1) I think Maye actually gives them the better chance of winning now. Is he ready? Maybe & maybe not. But, I would rather have a player with his speed & playmaking ability to offset at bad line. Sure, there's going to be both good & bad plays because of this. But I believe he will have the ability to escape danger, much more than Jacoby Brissett will. We saw K.J. Henry who we cut, plant Jacoby in the ground. Maybe Drake Maye escapes that sack, by spinning or bootlegging for a 1st down. We'll never know.

2) With Mayes mobility, this would open up a lot more of the Offense, than what Jacoby will provide. Plus, Maye has a better arm. He will drop defenses back, which in turn will open up their running game. My point? New England could be more aggressive with Maye behind Center, than conservative with Jacoby. They could attack defenses, rather than hoping not to screw up.

3) Drake is a bigger dude. I think he would likely have more of a chance to shake off potential blitzers, or incoming D-lineman than what Jacoby will or can do. His ability to extend plays, might be the difference of 1 or 2 wins this year.

Again, I understand the decision to start Jacoby Brissett. I just don't agree with it.

He's going to get hit eventually. Why sit the #3 pick on the bench, when he's clearly the better player.

Just my take.

Yeah he gives us a better chance of winning, but to what end?

we aren’t anywhere near ready. We may as well try and develop him whilst making sure he doesn’t break, and pick up a nice draft pick in doing so to give him an LT. He’s worth what 1 or 2 extra wins? So 5-12 instead of 3-14

if there’s chances to put him in if (when) we’re getting blown out, and he’s against seconds or something…I’d be ok with that.

• Like 1