GDT Week 1: Raiders @ Chargers

NYRaider

Who ya got?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Winner

• Raiders
    • Chargers

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh imo that’s on gard dogg snap was dam near in the #’s not over his head, rolling on the ground or way off to any side. Gard just couldn’t grip and rip it like he had too. Never really had a good handle on it. James had his own f ups but imo that snap wasn’t on him

Yes, the ball was on the spot, no doubt about that. It's the attitude I take issue with.

D1lcknf.png

THAT,...is the definition of catawampus!

iy0N4fl.png

What's he supposed to do with that? Search for the seams while the bubble dances like he's gotta pee and the dbs get two steps out of their breakdown for free?

Maybe you are right that that was what James was asked to do, there are 100 ways to get the various intricacies done, and I've only seen the slices I've seen,... but if that WAS the design, I take issue with IT then, on the practical complaint that the result sucked.

Meanwhile, James is zipping them back there on other snaps, so this wasn't the standard I think.

I would want/expect that nose UP and to the QB, and even the laces delivered (more often than not). Hell, I'd even experiment with putting it on the play side shoulder, so the QB is in motion toward the throw.

In fairness, I don't know what the coaching point actually was so you may have an entirely fair point toward James.

But I just don't think this is what you give your QB to work with, one way or the other.

Edited by LongJonSilver

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

This. Pick a lane. You either want your QB to stay on script, get the ball out quick with accuracy on short to intermediate plays and into your playmakers hands which AOC does better or you let Minshew do his thing.

My preference would’ve been AOC from the start as I see more upside with him, he does fundamental things better and I think he plays with rhythm (something Minshew totally lacks). But if you go with Minshew, you have to adapt your offense to try to play to his strengths. 

Putting it simply - they are 2 very different QBs. It is wholly irrational to design 1 identical scheme for both.

And I don’t necessarily think AOC would have taken more sacks. Minshew moved into pressure and I would’ve expected AOC to find his open targets earlier. Because receivers were open on a number of plays where Minshew went walkabout…

Absolutely, agreed. The way we seem to want to play it seems strange to add Minshew to the roster in the first place, he doesn’t seem to fit with what we want to do! As you say, Minshew is not a rhythm passer or a guy that benefits from sticking within confines. He’s the type of player I like to watch on other teams as he’s unpredictable and unorthodox but he’s anxiety inducing on your own team 😁 

• Like 1

Getsy will take more shots vs Baltimore, he has to. He can't run the offense like this and think we're gonna win. That was a really bad game plan and it stings more considering how bad the Chargers offense was minus the two long runs. They honestly didn't do anything.

2 hours ago, raidersedge said:

Getsy will take more shots vs Baltimore, he has to. He can't run the offense like this and think we're gonna win. That was a really bad game plan and it stings more considering how bad the Chargers offense was minus the two long runs. They honestly didn't do anything.

Chargers were begging for us to pull away but the offense was bumbling. Having said that I expect a stomping on Sunday it’s a crap spot 

5 hours ago, LongJonSilver said:

Yes, the ball was on the spot, no doubt about that. It's the attitude I take issue with.

D1lcknf.png

THAT,...is the definition of catawampus!

iy0N4fl.png

What's he supposed to do with that? Search for the seams while the bubble dances like he's gotta pee and the dbs get two steps out of their breakdown for free?

Maybe you are right that that was what James was asked to do, there are 100 ways to get the various intricacies done, and I've only seen the slices I've seen,... but if that WAS the design, I take issue with IT then, on the practical complaint that the result sucked.

Meanwhile, James is zipping them back there on other snaps, so this wasn't the standard I think.

I would want/expect that nose UP and to the QB, and even the laces delivered (more often than not). Hell, I'd even experiment with putting it on the play side shoulder, so the QB is in motion toward the throw.

In fairness, I don't know what the coaching point actually was so you may have an entirely fair point toward James.

But I just don't think this is what you give your QB to work with, one way or the other.

It wasn’t perfect but imo a qb with bigger hands grips and rips it easily. I hear what you saying caught a funky rotation but gard isn’t a rookie and as a vet I expect him to be smarter. Without the proper grip he’s gotta eat that or throw it away not backwards on the ground. I hate bubble screen and any lateral or backwards type passes btw.

6 hours ago, raidersedge said:

I saw a Bowers running open all over the field and not getting the ball.

I think the lack of plays is not playcalling but the QB.

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Absolutely, agreed. The way we seem to want to play it seems strange to add Minshew to the roster in the first place, he doesn’t seem to fit with what we want to do! As you say, Minshew is not a rhythm passer or a guy that benefits from sticking within confines. He’s the type of player I like to watch on other teams as he’s unpredictable and unorthodox but he’s anxiety inducing on your own team 😁 

Exactly - Minshew is an off script QB who isn’t very athletic. Not sure why he was the choice to bring in as there were more athletic off-script guys available and better rhythm, on script guys available (all for less money).

Reeks of poor scouting and just throwing s**t at the wall hoping it sticks. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

It wasn’t perfect but imo a qb with bigger hands grips and rips it easily. I hear what you saying caught a funky rotation but gard isn’t a rookie and as a vet I expect him to be smarter. Without the proper grip he’s gotta eat that or throw it away not backwards on the ground. I hate bubble screen and any lateral or backwards type passes btw.

I think we see eye-to-eye there.

The red light should have gone on, whatever the reason for the funky snap.

As others are already saying, this guy's being forced into game management, and that might also lead to him trying harder to push round pegs,....I'm all for the superseding mantras that lead to football success, like no turnovers, no penalties. And also, a cat like Minshew needs to let the force flow. Dialing up the plays that fit is the way to square that circle.

Hope Getsey finds the right permutations on his playbook next week to allow that. It starts with starting a different back than Zeus early, I fear.

22 minutes ago, LongJonSilver said:

I think we see eye-to-eye there.

The red light should have gone on, whatever the reason for the funky snap.

As others are already saying, this guy's being forced into game management, and that might also lead to him trying harder to push round pegs,....I'm all for the superseding mantras that lead to football success, like no turnovers, no penalties. And also, a cat like Minshew needs to let the force flow. Dialing up the plays that fit is the way to square that circle.

Hope Getsey finds the right permutations on his playbook next week to allow that. It starts with starting a different back than Zeus early, I fear.

Not to mention the way the chargers played us was limiting deep passes. Gard imo is a gun slinger who excels in spread offense not really 2te sets. Zeus has no vision I hope to see mattison. I hope we don’t start whitehair either

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I saw a Bowers running open all over the field and not getting the ball.

I think the lack of plays is not playcalling but the QB.

This is getting less attention that warranted. I saw Adams open on a number of plays I can't even count to add onto that. Even watching just a bit of the all-22, it's pretty clear Getsy got players open a lot of time thime. Minshew just never got them the ball or saw them. 

His erratic nature in the pocket is preventing him from seeing the field. Is my opinion. I really do think this offense would be better if AOC was in for that reason. Yes, he'd take a ton of hits. But I think our offense would be better as a whole. 

Edit: I'm not stating Getsy was great. The overall calling and gameplan was meh. But players getting open wasn't the problem. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, NickButera said:

This is getting less attention that warranted. I saw Adams open on a number of plays I can't even count to add onto that. Even watching just a bit of the all-22, it's pretty clear Getsy got players open a lot of time thime. Minshew just never got them the ball or saw them. 

His erratic nature in the pocket is preventing him from seeing the field. Is my opinion. I really do think this offense would be better if AOC was in for that reason. Yes, he'd take a ton of hits. But I think our offense would be better as a whole. 

Edit: I'm not stating Getsy was great. The overall calling and gameplan was meh. But players getting open wasn't the problem. 

Adams, Meyers and Bowers are 3 top end route runners. They will get open regardless of scheme. To your point, you need a QB to get them the ball. 

I think AP wants a guy with mobility, he said as much in the offseason and that is to his detriment in this Minshew/AOC decision. He's favoring mobility over the guy who can stand and deliver. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Adams, Meyers and Bowers are 3 top end route runners. They will get open regardless of scheme. To your point, you need a QB to get them the ball. 

I think AP wants a guy with mobility, he said as much in the offseason and that is to his detriment in this Minshew/AOC decision. He's favoring mobility over the guy who can stand and deliver. 

Doesn’t matter when the whole left side of your oline is playing like garbage plus without trey out there it’s no deep threats so the intermediate area gets crowded

54 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Doesn’t matter when the whole left side of your oline is playing like garbage plus without trey out there it’s no deep threats so the intermediate area gets crowded

Agree. Going to need some patience going to a zone blocking scheme unfortunately. Always hate those changes in scheme as they take time. 

The personal they were using, they had Tucker on the field a good amount. I've not seen enough tape to see what routes they were running.