BDL 2024 Week 1: Hungary Hippos @ Ivory Coast Black Rhinos

RedGold

Who wins?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Hungary Hippos
    • Ivory Coast Black Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2024 at 04:59 AM

BDL 2024 Week  1

Match:  Hungary Hippos @ Ivory Coast Black Rhinos

Away Owner:   @PR @Daniel  

Home Owner:   @RuskieTitan

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Edited by RedGold

Hungary

QB - Jared Goff
RB - Raheem Mostert
WR - Deandre Hopkins
WR - Calvin Ridley
WR - Deontae Johnson
TE - Zach Ertz
LT - Tyron Smith
LG - Alex Cappa
C - Tyler Linderbaum
RG - Kevin Zeitler
RT - Taylor Moton

QB - Geno Smith
RB - Austin Ekeler
RB - Rachaad White
RB - Blake Corum
WR - Adam Thielen
WR - Calvin Austin
TE - Daniel Bellinger
OL - Trent Brown

DE - Maxx Crosby
DT - Jarran Reed
DT - David Onyemata
DE - Will Anderson
LB - Logan Wilson
LB - Ivan Pace Jr.
CB - Carlton Davis
CB - Quinyon Mitchell
NCB - Tre Brown
FS - Kevin Byard
SS - Harrison Smith

DE - Jadeveon Clowney
DE - Odafe Oweh
DT - Javon Kinlaw
LB - Shaq Thompson
CB - Riley Moss
CB - Roger McCreary
CB - Chamarri Conner
S - Malik Mustapha

Ivory Coast Black Rhinos

Ivory Coast Offense
QB - Brock Purdy
RB - Alvin Kamara
WR - Amon-Ra St. Brown
WR - Terry McLaurin
WR - Jordan Addison
TE - Evan Engram
LT - Trent Williams
LG - Juice Scruggs
OC - Tyler Biadasz
RG - Zack Martin
RT - Tyler Guyton
------------------------------------
RB - Antonio Gibson
RB - Ezekiel Elliott
WR - Jalin Hyatt
WR - John Metchie
WR - Nick Westbrook-Ikhine
TE - Hayden Hurst
OL - Terence Steele
OL - Josh Myers
Ivory Coast Defense
DE - Myles Garrett
DT - Sebastian Joseph-Day
DT - Da'Ron Payne
DE - Khalil Mack
MLB - Bobby Wagner
OLB - Jordan Hicks
CB - AJ Terrell
CB - Trevon Diggs
NCB - Greg Newsome II
S - Jordan Whitehead
S - Kyle Dugger
DE - Dallas Turner
DE - Darrell Taylor
DE/DT - Cameron Jordan
DT - Devonte Wyatt
LB - Edgerrin Cooper
CB - Kamari Lassiter
S - Jordan Fuller
S - Amani Hooker

Edited by RedGold

Hungary

Offense:

This offseason was one of rebuild. Gone are many from last year's squad especially on offense. We have new faces at RB, WR, TE and a completely rebuilt oline with returning center Tyler Linderbaum being an anchor in the middle and continuing the connection he built with Goff most of last season.

Game plan: 55/45 Pass/Run Ratio - Layered WCO concept.

We are going to work with layered concepts this year. It is packages of plays that all look the same, but build off of each other. The easiest way to explain it is a wide zone run building into play action bootlegs which builds into screen passes and fake bootlegs, and then finally builds into drop back play action pass. The goal is to make the defense think they know what the next play is, but then hitting them with a different concept.

We want to establish the run game fairly early. Mostert will be the lead back with Ekeler, White and Corum sprinkling in. When Ekeler and White are in the game, more RB receiving routes will be called. We will run power schemes, counter schemes, trap schemes, and occasionally being in a 6th oline in Brown to use him as a lead blocker for the RB.

In the passing game Goff will have new receiving targets in Hopkins, Ridley, Johnson and Ertz. Bellinger will be used sparingly in 2 TE looks. Goff has free reign on his targets, we really don't fear ICBRs secondary especially with Diggs finally just working his way back after injury and not receiving playing time during the preseason. Also with Goffs league lowest release rate at 2.72 seconds it is very hard to pressure Goff at this stage in his career.

Adam Thielen will rotate in with Nuk throughout this game due to Nuk playing through pain. He will also be a feature on four WR sets.

Using the layered concepts we expect a heavy dose of running game mixed with play action that will leave ICBR constantly guessing where the next gash will come from. 

Defense:

The defensive plan is simple, relying on top edges Crosby and Anderson (and depth guys Odafe and Clowney) to rush the passer aggressively, since we have the talent on the edge to leave them playing contain as well, and to make up for a young DB room. The interior DL, led by Jarran Reed and Onyemata, will have their primary duty be stopping the run.

In the center, Ivan Pace and Logan Wilson hold things down. Plan A is to have them blitz aggressively on passing downs to force opposing QBs to get rid of the ball quickly with pressure from the edges and second level constantly. 

You'll see these blitzes:

6 Man Cover Zero

6 Man Cover Zero Field

Plan B: One will blitz and one will drop into coverage if ICBR starts using a safety blanket underneath to their TE/RB.

Shaq will come on the field if ICBR goes to a 2 TE look in place of Tre Brown.

Coverage:

Cover 4 

Cover 3 Sky

For the backfield, we will mostly use a zone defense to help mitigate ICBRs elite WR core and hope to force turnovers with the aggressive focus on pressure. The occasional corner or safety blitz will add to that. We don’t want to force our DBs to put opposing WRs on islands for long periods of time. Additional CBs Moss, McCreary and Conner will be ready for additional WR formations.

Ivory Coast

Motivation: Defeat Hungary.

Offense
Primary Formation: 11 & 12 (Single Back, Shotgun and Bunch formations)

Running Game Focus:
New season, new look. Chubb is still recovering from injury, and ICBR have gone out and signed Alvin Kamar to be the primary playmaker out of the backfield in the interim. Giving him relief and yet keeping the receiving threat out of the backfield is Gibson. We plan on utilizing a lot of similare styles of running attacks to the San Francisco 49ers, and similar to them, we have Trent Williams the best left tackle in the game. Both will be utilized for passing downs as well. Terence Steele will be the swing tackle and provide the 6th OL support in goal line situations.
⦁    Establish the run early to help set-up the play action pass in the second half
⦁    Leverage double team inside blocks to support the center and get to the second level (linebackers)
⦁    Use delays and counters to catch the defense off-balance
⦁    Run behind Trent Williams, the best left tackle in the NFL and BDL

Passing Game Focus:
New year, new quarterback. We've brought in Brock Purdy who is an absolute stud, and we're surrounding him with playmakers to have success. We're also providing elite passblocking protection, with Trent Williams the best left tackle currently playing; Juice Scruggs demonstrated skill last season at left guard and we'll keep him there for now. Tyler Guyton was a stud at Right Tackle last season, and while he's the future at left tackle post-Trent Williams (Best LT/OT in the game), for now he'll man the right side. Evan Engram will be our primary tight end and split out wide for mismatches. We’re going to use pre-snap motion to allow Purdy to read the defense and make adjustments at the line. We’re going to focus on keeping Purdy upright, featuring chips and blocks by our tight ends and backs, primarily on the right side. Our receivers are fast and quick, and we plan on allowing Purdy to dissect the defense, as we feel confident someone will be winning their route on every play. We're going to use some of our backs out of the backfield as well, wheel routes and such.
⦁    Protect Brock Purdy
⦁    Utilize the play action pass established from the running game
⦁    Focus on short and intermediate routes, leveraging crossing routes to allow for our quick receivers to separate and create space
⦁    Especially take advantage of the short crossing routes, our receivers have the agility and quickness to take the small reception and turn up-field
⦁    Take advantage of our athletic tight ends and shift them out for mismatch opportunities
⦁    Have a receiver threaten deep regularly and take the shot when the defense allows; otherwise keep one route deep to stretch and let us operate underneath
⦁    Against everything we’ll shallow crossing route them to death until they cheat up, then beat them deep
⦁    Against Zone we’ll utilize flood concepts against one side of the field
⦁    Against Man we’ll feature slants, rub routes, and stop-and-go routes
⦁    Throw in some wheel routes to take advantage of mis-matches

Defense
Defensive Formation:
The 4-2-5 alignment will be the primary alignment against three receiver sets. Payne and Joseph-Day will man the middle. Garrett and Mack start on the edges, with rotations to keep them fresh all game long. Bobby Wagner and Jordan Hicks are the off-ball linebackers, with Wagner being the primary linebacker stepping up to the line. Our trio of cornerbacks will be Greg Newsome II, Trevon Diggs, and AJ Terrell. We plan to use Diggs and Terrell as our boundary corners, with Newsome manning the slot and providing him with more playmaking opportunities. When Hungary goes with 2 receivers or fewer, Newsome will come out, and Edgerrin Cooper will come on to take the weak-side linebacker spot, with Jordan Hicks taking the strong side and Bobby Wagner holding the middle. Whitehead and Dugger will operate at the safety spots, rotating the primary deep safety in cover-1 to avoid tipping anything pre-snap. If and when Hungary uses 4 receivers, we’ll counter by having Hicks come out and bring in Lassiter as the dime back, and utilize zone defense. If they ever go 5 wide, we’ll play a mixture of zone coverages with 4-1-6 personnel. 

Against the Pass:
We’re going to have our defensive interior focused on penetration and eliminating room to step up in the pocket. We’re confident our edges will collapse Hungary's pocket, and prevent their quarterback from being able to slide out of the pocket. We’ll sprinkle some wide 9 alignments with our edges on obvious passing downs, as well as throw our pass rushers on the field together. We’ll primarily use man coverage to play tighter to the receivers, trusting our defensive line to make quick work of their offensive line, and we will keep eyes on anyone trying to come out of the backfield
⦁    Pressure up the middle
⦁    Utilize A-gap blitzes and zone style blitzes to keep Goff off balance
⦁    Always keep at least one safety over the top
⦁    Play tighter to the receiver, but not focused on jamming necessarily – we want to force contested catches throughout the routes
⦁    Use the wide nine alignment on third and longs (8+ yards)
⦁    Alternate Mack, Garrett, and Jordan inside on certain third and long packages

Against the Run:
We want to limit the damage done by their backfield, and will have the defense swarm to the football. If needed, one of the safeties will drop into the box for additional support, regardless of cover 1 or cover 2 post-snap. We’ve got the players to rotate in throughout the game, and really keep their backs in check.
⦁    Swarm to the ball carrier and secure tackles
⦁    Once ball carrier is secured, take opportunities to try and force fumbles
⦁    Utilize a safety in the box pre-snap to provide additional support against the run if needed

Edited by RedGold

Hungary Hippos 21 Ivory Coast Black Rhinos 20

Looking at the stats, you may believe Black Rhinos have won this game but ultimately 2 big game changing plays from Mostert and Ridley decided this 1

Key Player Stats for Hungary 

J. Goff 62% pass completion  212 yds  2 TDs 1 Int

R. Mostert 12 carriers 108 yds 1 TD

C. Ridley 6 rec 111 yds 1 TD

A. Thielen 1 rec 11yds 1 Td

M. Crosby 0 sacks but 3 TFL

W. Anderson 2 Sacks

H. Smith 8 solo tkls 2 pass broken up

Key Player Stats for Ivory Coast

B. Purdy 315 pass yds 2 TDs

A. Kamara 15 carries 65 yds 5 rec 36 yds

A. St. Brown 9 rec 121 yds 1 Td

T. McLauren 7 rec 76 yds 

E. Engram 7 rec 81 yds 1 Td

M. Garrett 1 sack 2 TFL

K. Mack 1 sack

B. Wagner 8 solo

J. Hick 2 pass broken up

AJ Terrell 1 INT 2 Pass broken up

Greg Newsome 4 pass broken up

23 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Mostert would have loved that type of performance after putting up 9 yards on 6 carries yesterday. Guess my defense sucks.

Sorry I didn't take into account only yesterday, early off this year I plan to use a good combination of last year and this year, to mix in with the game plans and how I envision a game playing out. In my mind he just has the speed to break one and he did. Ridley's big play was on Diggs the rest of your team played played really well.

• Like 6

This might've been the closest match-up of the week for me. I feel like these teams are as evenly matched as possible: two very-good-but-not-great-QBs, two productive RBs, very good pass-catchers on both sides and quality OLines. On defense, Maxx is matched by Myles, Mack sees Will Anderson, the INTs are effective, the LBs notable names and the secondary personnel are good players.

This may sound absurd, but, as a result of the above, I was forced to find something within the gameplans that could separate these teams. Based on his Week 1 play, Hungary's apparent disregard of Trevon Diggs appears to be the wrong approach, and Goff wasn't nearly as accurate, nor as sound in his decision-making, in his Week 1 game against the Rams. I feel like that key oversight is enough to give Ivory Coast the edge in a down-to-the-wire match-up.

33-27 (OT) win for Ivory Coast.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

This might've been the closest match-up of the week for me. I feel like these teams are as evenly matched as possible: two very-good-but-not-great-QBs, two productive RBs, very good pass-catchers on both sides and quality OLines. On defense, Maxx is matched by Myles, Mack sees Will Anderson, the INTs are effective, the LBs notable names and the secondary personnel are good players.

This may sound absurd, but, as a result of the above, I was forced to find something within the gameplans that could separate these teams. Based on his Week 1 play, Hungary's apparent disregard of Trevon Diggs appears to be the wrong approach, and Goff wasn't nearly as accurate, nor as sound in his decision-making, in his Week 1 game against the Rams. I feel like that key oversight is enough to give Ivory Coast the edge in a down-to-the-wire match-up.

33-27 (OT) win for Ivory Coast.

I really had a hard time here. Love your analysis and agree on how evenly matched these teams are. I think both teams have done a ton of great work on these rosters this off-season.

I'm going with a slight edge to Ivory Coast as well. While your analysis is spot on, the only thing you didn't mention that affected my vote is that I have a lot more faith in the Ivory Coast WR core. With a lot of the other groups being so similar between the teams, I feel like that is where I have to go on my vote until I can see how the older WRs that Hungary brought in this offseason fare.

• Like 1

I really like the fit of Kamara in this IC offense and I like they are using a similar system as SF. I would like to see more mention of him in the passing game (unless I missed it) as I think he can be a true weapon there. I like what Hungary is doing with the layered west coast offense system. I am excited to see how that plays out the rest of this year. For now I just think IC has more firepower to out score Hungary so they get the win at home. 

Another close one but I am again going with the home team. In the first game of the season Hungary's old man ballers will be gassed by the second half.

ICBR 24-17

Also who is Deontae Johnson? You've been hyping him in the discord too but still no idea.