Week 2: Colts at Packers - The Malik Willis Show

packfanfb

42 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

you said "I don't know how anyone could watch this and say Johnson gave up a sack here"

I don't understand at all.

I watched it and it look BEYOND obvious that Johnson gave up a sack there.

I'm wondering what context there is that would make someone think Johnson didn't give up a sack?

ahh gotcha. Didn't know you were referring to that. Yea, I almost look at it like a situation in baseball when you're deciding whether to give an error to the SS on a grounder in the hole that's a tough play, is it an error or a hit? Or in the football sense, when you send a blitzer and the OL errs in picking him up. I don't really think of it as a player giving up the sack in that instance. 

Here, I get that Gary was "Johnson's guy" but there was obvious confusion at the LOS, something with the snap was off and Johnson barely even got out of his stance by the time Gary was around the corner. I wouldn't view that as Johnson getting beat and giving up a sack regardless of how you end up scoring it statistically for the defender. There was a gaffe there somewhere. Maybe it was Johnson's fault or maybe something with the snap was off which caused his reaction. If I am being forced to score that play statistically, I probably reward Gary with a sack, but don't penalize Johnson with a sack-against. 

• Like 1

I just don't understand how anybody can be sure that Malik Willis is terrible. Yeah, he did not look good starting for the Titans but he was a rookie coming from C-USA school. Plus that was also 2 seasons ago and tts not like his preseason performances since then have been awful.

The only evidence we have is 3 starts, two seasons ago, and the fact that the Titans let him loose for a 7th (not an organization known for its QB evals) and the media is already dancing on his grave. I find it very bizarre. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

ahh gotcha. Didn't know you were referring to that. Yea, I almost look at it like a situation in baseball when you're deciding whether to give an error to the SS on a grounder in the hole that's a tough play, is it an error or a hit? Or in the football sense, when you send a blitzer and the OL errs in picking him up. I don't really think of it as a player giving up the sack in that instance. 

Here, I get that Gary was "Johnson's guy" but there was obvious confusion at the LOS, something with the snap was off and Johnson barely even got out of his stance by the time Gary was around the corner. I wouldn't view that as Johnson getting beat and giving up a sack regardless of how you end up scoring it statistically for the defender. There was a gaffe there somewhere. Maybe it was Johnson's fault or maybe something with the snap was off which caused his reaction. If I am being forced to score that play statistically, I probably reward Gary with a sack, but don't penalize Johnson with a sack-against. 

thanks for the context - I genuinely didn't know

perhaps that was PFF's reasoning as well, your last sentence. I find that to be a reasonable take. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I just don't understand how anybody can be sure that Malik Willis is terrible. Yeah, he did not look good starting for the Titans but he was a rookie coming from C-USA school. Plus that was also 2 seasons ago and tts not like his preseason performances since then have been awful.

The only evidence we have is 3 starts, two seasons ago, and the fact that the Titans let him loose for a 7th (not an organization known for its QB evals) and the media is already dancing on his grave. I find it very bizarre. 

the vast majority of people are reactionary. They need to be hammered over the head with facts that support their pre-judged decisions to form a strong opinion.

So the vast majority of people aren't going to offer any sort of nuanced take.

It's bizarre (but always predictable) that this mindset is ubiquitous.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Yep, gotta take a swat at it on your way there.

I think he could have knocked the ball loose also if he'd lowered his shoulder and put it into is side - but - that might have drawn a flag (although legal). As it is - it looks like purposefully tried to avoid a penalty and "jumped" on him.

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Well, if nothing else, at least the fantasy pundits are confident in Malik...

I made this pickup yesterday.  Willis will probably make me pay for it.  He does have a history of taking a lot of sacks and has never thrown a TD pass in real NFL game action.