Week 2: Colts at Packers - The Malik Willis Show

packfanfb

7 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I just don't understand how anybody can be sure that Malik Willis is terrible. Yeah, he did not look good starting for the Titans but he was a rookie coming from C-USA school. Plus that was also 2 seasons ago and tts not like his preseason performances since then have been awful.

The only evidence we have is 3 starts, two seasons ago, and the fact that the Titans let him loose for a 7th (not an organization known for its QB evals) and the media is already dancing on his grave. I find it very bizarre. 

No one can really be sure.  However only having a few weeks to learn the Packer's offense and get thrust into a starting role is tough.  I'm not expecting much on Sunday.  If he flames out which I believe is likely I'll still won't dance on his grave.  Kid needs to be in our system for awhile before we can get an accurate assessment of him.  When we let go Pratt and put Cliffy on the PS this was our worst case scenario.  Really WK2?  Just bad luck.  That being said kid has the physical ability he has to be able to read a defense and hit the open guys.  Can see why Gutey made the move timing just sucks. 

Just now, Scoremore said:

No one can really be sure.  However only having a few weeks to learn the Packer's offense and get thrust into a starting role is tough.  I'm not expecting much on Sunday.  If he flames out which I believe is likely I'll still won't dance on his grave.  Kid needs to be in our system for awhile before we can get an accurate assessment of him.  When we let go Pratt and put Cliffy on the PS this was our worst case scenario.  Really WK2?  Just bad luck.  That being said kid has the physical ability he has to be able to read a defense and hit the open guys.  Can see why Gutey made the move timing just sucks. 

Yes, even if we were going into week 4 it would be really tough but have some level of hope he absorbed the playbook and had practice reps. I’ll be cheering for the guy but this won’t be any kind of an honest evaluation on what he can do. Hope he shocks the world and comes out steady, smart and makes some big plays while taking care of the ball. We need to find a way to win a few of these next games. 

9 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Yes, even if we were going into week 4 it would be really tough but have some level of hope he absorbed the playbook and had practice reps. I’ll be cheering for the guy but this won’t be any kind of an honest evaluation on what he can do. Hope he shocks the world and comes out steady, smart and makes some big plays while taking care of the ball. We need to find a way to win a few of these next games. 

I don't even dare to hope.  But if that happens I'll be ecstatic. As I get older which totally sucks tend to get more skeptical.  After seeing similar situations play out over decades it hard for me to get too excited by the prospect.  I'll cheer like hell if there is something to cheer for.  Don't care how we do it just gotta win.  I'm expecting a real ugly performance from Willis.  Just seems to damn obvious.  Won't surprise me if they go with Cliffy in the second half.  Hate saying it but the kid is getting put into an impossible situation.  

23 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

I don't even dare to hope.  But if that happens I'll be ecstatic. As I get older which totally sucks tend to get more skeptical.  After seeing similar situations play out over decades it hard for me to get too excited by the prospect.  I'll cheer like hell if there is something to cheer for.  Don't care how we do it just gotta win.  I'm expecting a real ugly performance from Willis.  Just seems to damn obvious.  Won't surprise me if they go with Cliffy in the second half.  Hate saying it but the kid is getting put into an impossible situation.  

Tough road for Willis this week.  He's going to have to go on raw talent.  I'm not expecting a whole lot.  Might be one of those "Let's see if we can get past midfield" games.  I expect a lot of runs or attempted runs.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had like 8-12 throws in this game.  Good time to challenge the OL in this one, they're going to need a top performance this week.

5 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Tough road for Willis this week.  He's going to have to go on raw talent.  I'm not expecting a whole lot.  Might be one of those "Let's see if we can get past midfield" games.  I expect a lot of runs or attempted runs.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had like 8-12 throws in this game.  Good time to challenge the OL in this one, they're going to need a top performance this week.

The next game or two is on the coaches .. both offense and defense.  Game plan for Willis and the defense has to show up.  Wouldn't hurt if special teams could lend a hand for a change.  Not sure why but I'm somewhat hopeful the team rallies around Willis for a win.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

https://www.packers.com/video/rashan-gary-with-the-third-down-sack-packers-vs-eagles

If anyone wanted full context of that Gary sack.  At best it should have been blown dead offsides on Wyatt, at worst they get a free play, long ball chance. 

In reality its a sack for gary.

Calls get missed all the time. We dont have to ***** and moan when we get one.

On one of the 3rd and tens the eagles converted and turned the drive into a TD AJ Brown pushed off at the top of the route. At best it couldve been an Int. At worst it shouldve been OPI.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

https://www.packers.com/video/rashan-gary-with-the-third-down-sack-packers-vs-eagles

If anyone wanted full context of that Gary sack.  At best it should have been blown dead offsides on Wyatt, at worst they get a free play, long ball chance. 

I don't think anyone questions whether it should have been flagged as offsides.  It should have been a flag, but the reality is that it wasn't.  The missed flag has nothing to do with how they play should be judged from a stats perspective.  A player misreading the situation on the field shouldn't give the player a free pass on what happens next.

In the context of what actually happened, it was a sack for Gary, and the sack was allowed by RT Johnson.

I don't remember the stats guys removing the INT from Rodgers stats in the 2014 playoff game when SEA was offsides, and Rodgers "thought" he had a free play.

Edited by Mazrimiv

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't think anyone questions whether it should have been flagged as offsides.  It should have been a flag, but the reality is that it wasn't.  The missed flag has nothing to do with how they play should be judged from a stats perspective.  A player misreading the situation on the field shouldn't give the player a free pass on what happens next.

In the context of what actually happened, it was a sack for Gary, and the sack was "allowed" by RT Johnson.

I don't remember the stats guys removing the INT from Rodgers stats in the 2014 playoff game when SEA was offsides, and Rodgers "thought" he had a free play.

That's fair.

20 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

In reality its a sack for gary.

Calls get missed all the time. We dont have to ***** and moan when we get one.

On one of the 3rd and tens the eagles converted and turned the drive into a TD AJ Brown pushed off at the top of the route. At best it couldve been an Int. At worst it shouldve been OPI.

I think it's just how Gary got his sack. With context you can see why Lane Johnson didn't come out his stance. Also questioning if Gary had a good game. Thus why PFF gave the ratings they did. Which is what someone posted pressure ratings earlier in this thread.

8 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

I think it's just how Gary got his sack. With context you can see why Lane Johnson didn't come out his stance. Also questioning if Gary had a good game. Thus why PFF gave the ratings they did. Which is what someone posted pressure ratings earlier in this thread.

For sure but it has got to count. The game continued as if it were a pressure and a sack. The play is in the history book. Does PFF always give a pass to guys that dont see the snap and are slow off the ball? Do crowds get scores for that? Are the refs graded? Bummer Johnson got a raw deal. It happens all the time. I understand what Lane saw. Unfortunately for him the ref didnt and thats that.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I just don't understand how anybody can be sure that Malik Willis is terrible. Yeah, he did not look good starting for the Titans but he was a rookie coming from C-USA school. Plus that was also 2 seasons ago and tts not like his preseason performances since then have been awful.

The only evidence we have is 3 starts, two seasons ago, and the fact that the Titans let him loose for a 7th (not an organization known for its QB evals) and the media is already dancing on his grave. I find it very bizarre. 

I can't talk for the media and how they view Willis, but I feel he's a very poor option at QB, right now.

To me, he's so bad that if you put him on the Giants roster and let him play GB with Joe Barry as DC, he'd have 4 TD's, 0 turnovers and thoroughly rout the Packers while on his way to OPOTW.

@packfanfb - have the Packers officially announced the grade strain to Love's knee? I've not heard it - but perhaps I missed it.
Or - is it more like past injury reports and we fans are dealing with supposition and tea leaf reading when it comes to how long Love will be out?