Browns QB Deshaun Watson Has New Charges Brought From Alleged Oct. 2020 Assault

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If the Browns successfully void part of the deal, that should be wiped off the cap but otherwise just like any other player every dollar paid should show up eventually.

Agreed, the precedent to set here is do background checks on your QBs.

Best case scenario: The salary will be voided for Watson with the 2025 dead cap hit at $27+ million and the 2026 dead cap at $54+ million.

That seems fair contractually speaking. 

17 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Best case scenario: The salary will be voided for Watson with the 2025 dead cap hit at $27+ million and the 2026 dead cap at $54+ million.

That seems fair contractually speaking. 

The total is right he's $81MM in the red if he's cut at the end of the season, but I don't get how you'd designate a guy who is no longer on the team and has no contract as a post-June 1 cut. I think you'd be eating it all in 2025.

42 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The fans never have any say in any decision a franchise makes? That's not a good argument for anything.

The Browns should be forced to sleep in the bed they've made. The fans that were disgusted by the decision to trade for him, as they should, have already peaced out. The fans that are still going to games... I won't even post the pictures of the signs and jerseys some of them have brought to the stadium. Browns fans are not a monolith in their feelings one way or another, but ownership and the front office knew exactly what they were doing. Any negative consequences that come their way I'm all for. Some fans will hate it, others will revel in it and be able to have a huge "I told you so" moment.

Many Browns fans were all for the move when they thought they were getting an elite QB. I'm sure they'd now be all for wiping his cap off the books... yeah, uh, for the fans!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The total is right he's $81MM in the red if he's cut at the end of the season, but I don't get how you'd designate a guy who is no longer on the team and has no contract as a post-June 1 cut. I think you'd be eating it all in 2025.

I have no idea how this works or if there’s even a precedent for such a thing unless he’s a commissioner exempt list, then they can terminate the contract for cause, effective at “______ date”.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I get the sentiment, but... the only person who really wins with this is Jimmy Haslam. If a condition was set to where this "cap wipe" would only take place if Haslem liquidated his ownership rights? I'd be a little more supportive.

Remember: Not only did Jimmy and Dee Haslam make Watson an incredibly wealthy man with their trade-and-sign, they thumbed their nose at anyone by suggesting they're sorry for anyone who is "triggered" by this decision:

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/statement-from-dee-and-jimmy-haslam-following-ruling-from-judge-sue-robinson

Yes - this was part of their OFFICAL response to the rest of the football watching world. This wasn't a spoken quote taken out of context, this was their actual PR-crafted response.

It's also interesting to note this is really the first time anyone outside of Cleveland ever heard from Jimmy's wife. Guess we needed a feminine voice to really sell the message, amiright?

In conclusion: Haslam and Co need to sell the team or take the hit. No other way around it.

How will it be done then? Continue carrying his contract for years like he's on the roster? Because cutting him isn't possible, they literally won't be able to field a 53 man roster under the cap. 

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Bitonio did say though he was rolling over and did not see Watson there, not sure I believe that and he was just being a good teammate in public to Watson which not sure why he is even doing that.  Sucks for Stefanski and Berry, I assume the owner made this happen and since he is the owner they had nothing to say about that trade and just have to pick up the pieces later.  

Joe Thomas also came out and defended this.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

There was a narrative brewing locally on Watson being very arrogant, standoffish and condescending off-camera, but I chose to believe what I saw on TV. 

same thing was happening locally with Ben before his behavior came to the light nationally after the 2008 incident 

• Like 2

If the Browns can void Watson's contract the details will take care of themselves, they will get a big cap relief in 2025 and would be cleared from him after that. They wouldn't owe him any future salary and I would assume you would only owe the signing bonus up to the time the contract was voided and they would have to try to get the remaining back from Watson for breach of contract.

If it's not voided and he is just suspended I think everything just gets pushed back if he misses more than so many games so that would be the least ideal outcome. Suspend him for a year and a half and then his contract picks back up then and extends his stay. Yeah, that's probably what will happen, extend the torture (but it would be nice to watch games in the meantime). 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

How will it be done then? Continue carrying his contract for years like he's on the roster? Because cutting him isn't possible, they literally won't be able to field a 53 man roster under the cap. 

They'll have to figure that part out but there's precedent for this - Aaron Hernandez was still on the Patriots dead cap well after he committed suicide in prison:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/patriots-settle-aaron-hernandez-contract-grievance.amp

The Pats paid him BEFORE his crimes came to light and still had to deal with the after effects on the cap. Why should the Browns be given a pass? They sorta knew what they were getting into...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

They'll have to figure that part out but there's precedent for this - Aaron Hernandez was still on the Patriots dead cap well after he committed suicide in prison:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/patriots-settle-aaron-hernandez-contract-grievance.amp

The Pats paid him BEFORE his crimes came to light and still had to deal with the after effects on the cap. Why should the Browns be given a pass? They sorta knew what they were getting into...

I'm just saying as a practical application of removing Watson from their roster how does that even work? If they cut him with a post June 1st designation they would have a negative $46 mil cap hit and $118.9 mil in dead cap space from the move. The cap was at $255.4 mil this year lets say its at $260ish next year. They'd only have 141ish mil to fill out their roster. The lowest cap spending team this year was the Broncos with $173.8 mil. How do the Browns even field a team if they cut him? 

If they can't cut him and have to carry him on the roster, what is the NFLPA going to think? He's never been actually charged with anything. The press will also be reporting for years about him sitting on the bench, and all the money he's getting paid. That's bad press for years for the league. How is that practical?