Bryce Young benched

game3525

24 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I get this move if they had like a deal with the Dolphins to trade him to replace Tua sort of a thing, like if the Dolphins offered a 2nd or something not knowing how long Tua would be out. Benching to bench feels more odd. If Dalton randomly wins 7 games, then what?

Offered a what? 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Yo now way the scouts and analysts were wrong about Bryce Young tho, amirite?

Jesus Christ dude, I said scouts get it wrong. I said it happens. Your argument was that Caleb Williams fooled everyone into thinking he was good and he was only good against bad teams so he wasn’t actually good. I don’t agree with that argument. 

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Has a young QB ever been benched but then actually come back and done anything of relevancy?

Brett Favre comes to mind. I'm sure there are more.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

What exactly do they get out of putting Andy Dalton out there? 

A win?

This is may be a little premature, but he's looked SO bad...it's no sin to be a rookie QB who isn't ready yet, even a highly-touted one. Numerous great QBs started out poorly. Let the guy learn and don't give up on him yet.

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Jesus Christ dude, I said scouts get it wrong. I said it happens. Your argument was that Caleb Williams fooled everyone into thinking he was good and he was only good against bad teams so he wasn’t actually good. I don’t agree with that argument. 

No, your argument was that there's no way scouts and coaches could've gotten it wrong. Which is absurd. 

My argument was that Caleb wasn't good against good college defenses and his hype was built pretty much entirely on USC beating up cupcakes- which isn't really even an opinion, thanks to stats and tape being available which proved he was nowhere near as special against top tier teams as he was against MW defenses. 

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I'd argue you've probably already seen enough to know he's not worth keeping around.

But what do they get out of this? Canales lowers his team's risk of a complete and utter mutiny. I finally saw that little jump pass Bryce does. That situation is comical. The team can't function with a QB playing like that. The upside being 'the chance of fielding a functional offense' is pretty damn good.

The Tavaris Jackson special.

1 hour ago, bomont said:

Which is meaningful because?

There was no consensus among NFL personnel who the #1 pick should be. Young's only real knock was his size. 

I’m an Ohio State fan as a disclaimer.

Anyone with a clue knew CJ Stroud was the best QB in that draft. People just overreacted to his Michigan games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomont said:

Which is meaningful because?

There was no consensus among NFL personnel who the #1 pick should be. Young's only real knock was his size. 

We don't get them all right and especially miss on upside, but historically the guys we've collectively called as busts have.

The signs were there. Go back and watch him, he didn't do anything impressive from a tools standpoint. It wasn't just the size, it was the utter lack of any trait that would make you think he's above average. His arm was every bit as meh in college as it is now. He never invented outside the system or was a natural playmaker, he was always just a dude who got the ball out on time because the whole team of 5*s was open.

I said it in the week 1 discussion, he's Kyler Murray if you took the fun out of him. Because the only notable thing about Kyler is that he's an insane playmaker.

Young is passive as a QB. He was in college too, it just didn't make a difference because Saban Bama was a machine so they only needed a cog for it to work.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

No, your argument was that there's no way scouts and coaches could've gotten it wrong. Which is absurd. 

My argument was that Caleb wasn't good against good college defenses and his hype was built pretty much entirely on USC beating up cupcakes- which isn't really even an opinion, thanks to stats and tape being available which proved he was nowhere near as special against top tier teams as he was against MW defenses. 

That wasn’t my argument at all but you do you do.