The good, the bad, the we lost to the panthers

NickButera

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I thought Parham had an injury hence why JPJ went in at RG, not 100% though 🙂

I was hoping we had planned to work JPJ in to a spot he had played at Oregon, and just didn't want flop Parham. But, on looking it up, sure enough, Parham was on the injury report last week with a foot issue.

So, that seems more straightforward.

I though we were coming through camp in relative good shape at one point, but man, the OL can't field a coherent unit on top of the shuffle and scheme change. It's just enough guys even with everyone healthy.

Now I'm trying to think up some crap where Mayer & Bowers line up on 3 OLmen and we rock some A11-ish package, and try to make some lemon aid. 

I don't need to say, a beat up OL is baaaaad mojo with this team. Our QBs could rally to a unit with a run game and protection. But a MASH unit is not going to help the QBs.

Edited by LongJonSilver
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, LongJonSilver said:

JPJ looked pretty damned good for a kid with saucer eyes to start. His health is all I'm worried about there.

DJ Glaze didn't **** the bed over there at RT either.

Lot's to work on of course, because....rookie, he gave up a sack, missed a swap, had an anchor issue, looked a little lost in the run game once, you know,...a rookie. He didn't look like he was in the deep end of the pool, just fresh off the truck. My passing perspective was that the vast majority of his snaps were quiet.

I know they wanted to stagger the rookies, but maybe keep Parham at LG and swing Munford to let BOTH tackles have plays off for physical and mental recovery and coaching? And let's BUILD instead of scrambling **** (lineup and scheme) up.

Just a though.

Good post

I think the future of the Oline is bright. We just need the rookies to get more playing time

I’d hate to move Parham again but I think he is potentially better off playing Center

Perhaps move Munford to Guard / or give Meridith a shot

JPJ Guard

Miller- Hopefully he regains form

Glaze RT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Good post

I think the future of the Oline is bright. We just need the rookies to get more playing time

I’d hate to move Parham again but I think he is potentially better off playing Center

Perhaps move Munford to Guard / or give Meridith a shot

JPJ Guard

Miller- Hopefully he regains form

Glaze RT

Just noticed he leads all tackles in sacks allowed with 5. Counter part is he's committed 0 penalties.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

2nd and 3rd rounders are questionable picks. 1st rounders are solid gold starters if you draft correctly imo

If you draft correctly being the optimum word here 🙂

For me, adding two experienced vet backups in Peat and Whitehair and drafting OLine in the second and third round is still a pretty substantial investment, whether they turn out to be good is another issue I guess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

To be fair I don’t think you can honestly say ‘blind faith’. AP got results last year and won a couple big games. There’s plenty of doubt sure, and he has plenty to prove but he did find some success against the likes of Mahomes who is the unquestioned best QB in the league plus also against Jackson who is a legitimate star QB. AP has proven he can beat any team but also lose to any team thus far.

He won one big game against the Chiefs, the rest of the wins came against bad teams with backup QBs. It's not unusual for interim coaches to be able to inspire the team to finish strong after they're promoted. But there's a reason that basically every single interim coach in modern NFL history that was kept as the head coach has failed. Laying eggs at home against Andy Dalton and Nick Mullens just isn't acceptable and if this season goes down the drain he hasn't shown enough to deserve another crack at it next year. 

The smart move, IMO, would be to hire an ascending young offensive coach to pair with a highly drafted QB. The fact that AP botched the KK hire and then landed on Getsy is enough for me to be over it.

16 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

You're keying in on an AP identity issue, and you're spot on. 

He says he wants smashmouth, gritty football. He goes after more finesse offensive coordinators. 

The Raiders identity is said to be smashmouth, hard hitting, run the rock. We hire Telesco, who, whether you like him or not, that's not what the Chargers were trying to build, especially on offense. 

The tone of this squad seems to be not having a tone. Not one that's actually followed, at least. It reminds me of the old Madden 06 days where you hired a HC but also OC and DC. I think they had some minimal impact on your roster, but that was sorta it. Wind up with Bill Belichik's avatar ad HC, Monte Kiffin as DC, and Mike Shanahan as OC. Sounds dreamy, right? Looks solid on paper. But those are very different philosophies all over the place and there's not a real identity. I feel like that's where we're currently at, and it's a square peg/round hole thing top to bottom. 

Interesting thing is, that the Commanders are 7th in the league in rushing attempts & 5th in total rushing yards, but they also have a true dual-threat at QB with Daniels.
Just thinking about what I said before (not literally):
You have to define your vision, and then go after the guys that fit your vision.

AP wanted Daniels - we all know that. If he's the mold that fits the vision, it would at least explain why we weren't aggressive on other QBs in the last draft. Because nobody else in that draft class is a true dual-threat QB.
(that leads to the next question, who could be the next big dual threat qb in the upcoming class)

Nevertheless do I think there is a disagreement between AP and TT regarding the construction of the roster or the overall vision. If it should've looked like what we see with the Commanders, then why we didn't resign Jacobs plus 
another veteran for the zone run scheme and tried to trade Zamir White.

I just want from AP or whoever dictates what happens in the building, to just give more details about the overall plan.
IMHO this would be easier to understand for all of us, because then you know "okay - that's the focus for this year and next year the focus is something else".
It's just easier to buy in on the "old school raiders" thing when you know what's the plan.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Worse. Aaron Brooks and Andrew Walter. That was my first year as a full fledged Raider fan. This team hasn’t had worse seasons from a W/L perspective but man has it been rough monkey’s paw experience. 

Yeah.  I was shooting from the hip.  That was a horrible year.  They all were really.  

14 hours ago, Darbsk said:

If you draft correctly being the optimum word here 🙂

For me, adding two experienced vet backups in Peat and Whitehair and drafting OLine in the second and third round is still a pretty substantial investment, whether they turn out to be good is another issue I guess.

Very true lol

9 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

Interesting thing is, that the Commanders are 7th in the league in rushing attempts & 5th in total rushing yards, but they also have a true dual-threat at QB with Daniels.
Just thinking about what I said before (not literally):
You have to define your vision, and then go after the guys that fit your vision.

AP wanted Daniels - we all know that. If he's the mold that fits the vision, it would at least explain why we weren't aggressive on other QBs in the last draft. Because nobody else in that draft class is a true dual-threat QB.
(that leads to the next question, who could be the next big dual threat qb in the upcoming class)

Nevertheless do I think there is a disagreement between AP and TT regarding the construction of the roster or the overall vision. If it should've looked like what we see with the Commanders, then why we didn't resign Jacobs plus 
another veteran for the zone run scheme and tried to trade Zamir White.

I just want from AP or whoever dictates what happens in the building, to just give more details about the overall plan.
IMHO this would be easier to understand for all of us, because then you know "okay - that's the focus for this year and next year the focus is something else".
It's just easier to buy in on the "old school raiders" thing when you know what's the plan.

Which is hard to do when a GM and HC aren't on the same page. 

AP isn't drafting guys or signing FAs. Telesco isn't drawing up or calling plays or impacting in-game decisions. 

If they're not 100% on the same page, and I believe they're not (whether by choice or by nature), bad results are certain. 

Band Aid jobs like ours aren't good for immediate future results. It's why GM+HC is almost a package deal nowadays. Forcing two guys together with different philosophies and tendencies probably means whatever the stated plan from one guy may be, the other is probably sabotaging it without necessarily meaning to.

Whether AP and Telesco like each other or want the other to succeed isn't the issue, obviously. I don't want it to sound as if one is purposefully trying to stab the other in the back for some nefarious reason. No doubt they both wanna do well. But our staff is such a jumbled mess of varying philosophies I'm not really surprised it's dysfunctional. Was it you that brought up Edgar Bennett somehow "fitting" into all these varying schemes over the last few years? That was a good point.

Looking around the staff- we have experience, lots of it, and each one has plenty of good to bring on their own. But Joe Philbin, Scott Turner, Edgar Bennett, Cadillac Williams altogether working on a Luke Getsy scheme? Anyone know of a common coaching thread there? 

Defense I think is a little less muddled, but Graham and Ryan? With Marvin Lewis hanging around? Yeah, there's surely A LOT of ideas and experience there, but a cohesive plan that isn't stepping on it's own toes due to schematic and tendency differences? 

With such a mishmash of styles, I fear the only coherent plan we actually have will be broad stroke things like "Old school Raiders"- slogans with little substance. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Laying eggs at home against Andy Dalton and Nick Mullens just isn't acceptable and if this season goes down the drain he hasn't shown enough to deserve another crack at it next year. 

The trouble with this logic or lack thereof is that every other coach we’ve had over the last 20 years has done the same, with the exception they haven’t beaten the Chiefs and Ravens or teams of that ilk (apart from Gruden that once). That’s why I think he deserves a shot and a fair shot as he’s far from a finished product and raw as can be.

Dont get me wrong, I think it’s a long shot but I was a Harbaugh guy to begin with so have no dog in the fight.

• Like 1