Does the Early Bills Success Finally Carry Over?

Chiefer

94p5yq.jpg

The Bills and Josh Allen are like the Bizarro Bengals, they seem to regularly come out to hot starts(September Champs) and cool off and then lose in the playoffs. 

Josh Allen is on Fire rn, he’s leading the MvP race. I predicted this when they signed MVS, who is so terrible that QBs are rewarded for him being on their roster. That whole team looks good, winning in multiple ways. will they maintain this trajectory it or will it End the same way it always does?

• Like 1

I don't know if they truly can carry this type of offensive production for the entire season, but it does seem like the vibes are insanely higher now that Diggs is gone and they don't feel forced to feed him the ball.

That being said, I just don't view Buffalo as an elite offensive or defensive team with the amount of roster turnover they've had, and so far they've had a relatively weak schedule contextually. So time will tell, I think the next 3 games will give us a lot more information.

The Bills typically start hot, have a small November collapse and then run the table some time in December into January before seeing the Chiefs or bengals.

2021: lost to NE in the wind game and then to TB in OT. Won their final 4 regular season games, had a perfect offensive performance in the WC round, lost in OT in the divisional.

2022: Lost to the Jets and then Minnesota in OT. Won their final 7 (with the bengals game being canceled). Won the wildcard round and lost to the Bengals in the divisional.

2023: Lost to Philadelphia in OT and had just lost 3 of their last 4. Then won their final 5, beat the Steelers in the WC round and then lost to KC in the divisional.

This season, If I am a betting man, the Bills will lose to SF in OT to fall to 8-4 before winning their final 5 and finish as the 2nd seed. Then lose to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

The Bills typically start hot, have a small November collapse and then run the table some time in December into January before seeing the Chiefs or bengals.

2021: lost to NE in the wind game and then to TB in OT. Won their final 4 regular season games, had a perfect offensive performance in the WC round, lost in OT in the divisional.

2022: Lost to the Jets and then Minnesota in OT. Won their final 7 (with the bengals game being canceled). Won the wildcard round and lost to the Bengals in the divisional.

2023: Lost to Philadelphia in OT and had just lost 3 of their last 4. Then won their final 5, beat the Steelers in the WC round and then lost to KC in the divisional.

This season, If I am a betting man, the Bills will lose to SF in OT to fall to 8-4 before winning their final 5 and finish as the 2nd seed. Then lose to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship. 

They don’t have the fire power. I love how you guys are developing the RB. But the WRs are kinda as. Keon should be way more productive than he is rn. He’s been a huge disappointment to me. Not to mention you just played a guy that threw a INT to the dude that died. Whatever happened in that Jags should be thrown out. That was unbelievable bad.. Don’t wanna hate on the bills. They’re alright. But Keon needs to develop faster into a legit WR for them to go far… 

It helps that Christian Benford has become a top-3 CB in football (and maybe the best) which has allowed them to play Douglas at CB2 and really shore up a secondary that was desperate for continuity and structure last year. Combined with Hamlin playing like an improved version of the starter he was before he died on the field and you've got a strong back end shored up with Dorian Williams stepping up to become yet another Bobby Babich success story, and the DL finally having a level of relative consistency. The defense is injured and lost a lot of guys, but they're still very talented and most of the talent they shaved off over the off-season was expensive but readily declined.

They've won 10+ games five years straight, they have Josh Allen, their issue has never been not carrying on September success, it's that they sustain key back end injuries right before the playoffs and have nobody to cover Kelce, hopefully, with more structure and more development and most importantly, quality depth, they'll weather that this year. But who knows, it's a one and done playoffs, it's an utter crapshoot. Maybe they just never get lucky. Maybe they get some of the Chiefs luck and reel off a couple. All that matters is putting yourself in position year after year to keep getting bites at the apple. That's what the Patriots did for 20 years.

I will say, sneakily, their biggest issue might be that Tyler Bass is clearly in his own head.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, El Ramster said:

They don’t have the fire power. I love how you guys are developing the RB. But the WRs are kinda as. Keon should be way more productive than he is rn. He’s been a huge disappointment to me. Not to mention you just played a guy that threw a INT to the dude that died. Whatever happened in that Jags should be thrown out. That was unbelievable bad.. Don’t wanna hate on the bills. They’re alright. But Keon needs to develop faster into a legit WR for them to go far… 

Josh allen is the fire power. But yes they do. And an elite OL. 

LOL yeah they're just alright... Allen not even finishing the past two games because their winning by so much, but they're just alright!

This Bills team has way better feels and vibes than any Bills team in recent years. When you have a top 2 QB, top 3 OL and a top 5 RB, you don't need a bona fide #1 and the combo of Shakir/Kincaid/Samuel/Coleman/Knox is totally fine.  

Edited by The BILLievers

13 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Bills are the Cowboys of the AFC! 

Until they can get over the hump, get past a game or two in the Playoffs? WGAF what transpires in the regular season?

Seriously?

The Cowboys wish.

Buffalo is 5-4 in the playoffs since 2020. The Cowboys are 1-3.

I agree that the regular season can be considered fluff and what they do in the postseason is what really matters. But considering most people believed the Bills SB window was shut and they'd maybe be a WC team this year, I think their hot start is worth talking about and shows Allen is on another level than most.

• Like 3