Curious Case of Mike Mularkey

KingTitan

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I do have some hope that these changes will be permanent, and that there was a chance that we could have seen this earlier if Marcus wasn't battling leg injuries all season. He'll be back next year, I guess we'll find out pretty quick if he's going to learn from this season.

Not only was Marcus battling leg injuries, we were battling WR injuries. Davis was hurt for so long, and when he finally did get healthy, he obviously wasn't ready(being a rookie with no training camp and no practice for like 8 weeks will do that to you I guess), and as Davis starts getting more comfortable, Matthews gets hurt for a couple games. Decker's injury killed whatever athleticism he had, and the one thing I thought he still had(reliable hands) has failed him the last two weeks. Not to mention Taywan Taylor being a complete idiot completely nullifying his impact in the passing game.

I don't think we drafted Davis and Taylor(and even Jonnu Smith, a receiving TE whose known weakness was blocking) and signed Decker to continue running 2-3 TE sets. That'd be stupid beyond even what we expect from Terry Robiskie. Feels to me Robiskie saw the injuries, the shell of himself Decker and the mental ineptitude of Taylor and just reverted to trying to run it on everyone(which was still the wrong decision).

I know we can't fire him because of our win/loss record, but I still want Malarkey gone. I don't trust in his ability to get the best out of Mariota at all and I think he will inevitably be fired in a year or two. I just dont think he has "it".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I know we can't fire him because of our win/loss record, but I still want Malarkey gone. I don't trust in his ability to get the best out of Mariota at all and I think he will inevitably be fired in a year or two. I just dont think he has "it".

I think management could still ax Mularkey over the worry of being able to help Mariota grow going forward. We just have to let it play out because it was still a little awkward for Mularkey to flat out answer the vote of confidence question and AAS statement still wasn’t a ringing endorsement. She never said he was the coach for next year never said he’s getting an extension she just said going forward so all that could of meant was from last Sat night until next Sunday morning for all we know. Mularkey is still not JRobs guy so eventually he will be able to make a move when he feels like it’s necessary. I still think how bad our offense was still gives hope for a move. What will absolutely save his job is doing the unthinkable this Sat night 

10 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I was kind of hoping we’d take a look at Helfrich. Has experience with Mariota. Brings that spread element while Mularkey brings that power element which IMO is what we have to run for Marcus to be at his best a power-spread offense.

I wouldn't have been crazy about a Helfrich hire...let alone how shocked I would've been.

We'll get the right guy

• Like 1