Packers Re-sign Davante Adams

Packerraymond

Just now, Packerraymond said:

It won't be 10.6, that would be his cap hit if they equally distribute his 14m base over the first two years. They never do. I think Peppers base year one was 1m. We'll give Adams 3-4m base year one and it will jump up to 10ish year two. His cap hit this year will be between 7-8.

Seems about right.  Jumps in year 2 when both Cobb and Nelson's deals are done.  They might be off sooner, but as of now they are there.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I've never really understood how this forum is such a stickler for the English language.

I'm from the non-texting generation where we don't understand the need to butcher the English language. It was also a sign of intelligence to know such simple things.

Stickler for the English language?  We're not arguing about the use of the Oxford comma here.  Resign and re-sign are two completely different words with two completely different meanings.  If we allow this to go unchecked, we're going to go back to people saying dominate instead of dominant, core instead of corps and so on.  Since it's the Internet, we're one step away from cats and dogs living together mass hysteria.

8 hours ago, cannondale said:

I'm from the non-texting generation where we don't understand the need to butcher the English language. It was also a sign of intelligence to know such simple things.

While pointing out those simple things was a sign of douchebaggery

Neither Cobb or Nelson are going anywhere. You need 3 legit WRs, and those are the only 3 on the roster. The rest are average depth at best. I still want a WR fairly high in the draft, but if you cut Cobb or Nelson, you NEED to sign a starting caliber WR and hope he clicks right away. I don't think it's worth the savings given the amount of cap space the Packers have and the roster at WR. Just let both contracts expire after this year and get prospects in development.

I wouldn't be opposed to extending Nelson to a 2-3 year deal to bring down that cap number, but that's all.

20 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Neither Cobb or Nelson are going anywhere. You need 3 legit WRs, and those are the only 3 on the roster. The rest are average depth at best. I still want a WR fairly high in the draft, but if you cut Cobb or Nelson, you NEED to sign a starting caliber WR and hope he clicks right away. I don't think it's worth the savings given the amount of cap space the Packers have and the roster at WR. Just let both contracts expire after this year and get prospects in development.

I wouldn't be opposed to extending Nelson to a 2-3 year deal to bring down that cap number, but that's all.

Not sure you have the space for Linsley, Burnett and a decent defensive FA. Meaning you're going into the draft with big needs at IOL, TE and WR and a defense that performed in the bottom half of the league again. 

The money from Cobb or Nelson needs to be invested in defense. We'll be fine with Adams, Nelson/Cobb, Allison, 2nd round pick. 

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Not sure you have the space for Linsley, Burnett and a decent defensive FA. Meaning you're going into the draft with big needs at IOL, TE and WR and a defense that performed in the bottom half of the league again. 

The money from Cobb or Nelson needs to be invested in defense. We'll be fine with Adams, Nelson/Cobb, Allison, 2nd round pick. 

I have zero faith in Allison. We really have nothing worth mentioning past Adams, Nelson, and Cobb.

9 hours ago, cannondale said:

Not to pile on here bud. But the fact that we all butcher the language to make our own lives easier and nearly everyone embraces it and understands it is and has fun with it is an advancement in society.

3 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I have zero faith in Allison. We really have nothing worth mentioning past Adams, Nelson, and Cobb.

He's been just fine as the #3, 66 and 91 yards the last 2 games of 2016 with Cobb out, 122 vs Cincy with Cobb out this year and he had 5 catches in the 2nd half with Adams out in CAR. 

I trust Rodgers to Allison significantly more than I trust another season with Perry/Matthews starting at OLB or House/King/Randall at CB. It's not even close really. The 10m from Cobb or Nelson needs to go to a DB or pass rusher.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's been just fine as the #3, 66 and 91 yards the last 2 games of 2016 with Cobb out, 122 vs Cincy with Cobb out this year and he had 5 catches in the 2nd half with Adams out in CAR. 

I trust Rodgers to Allison significantly more than I trust another season with Perry/Matthews starting at OLB or House/King/Randall at CB. It's not even close really. The 10m from Cobb or Nelson needs to go to a DB or pass rusher.

Yep. Would be awful roster management to carry Cobb and Jordy with those contracts next year. Not gonna happen. Even if we hadn't signed Adams, those are terrible value.

11 hours ago, Ketchup said:

What makes you so sure? I’d bet money it’s Cobb that gets cut and Jordy takes a pay cut to stay with Rodgers. 

Cobb is better and younger. Jordys only spot he can play unless we go 5 wide is the slot. Why would we cut Cobb for Jordy that at best has two years left and his contract up next season?  Like you said I hope Jordy restructures because he knows his contract is up next year and he isnt getting another big deal. I know everyone including myself loves Jordy but Cobb is a better slot WR. We should just cut them both and go all in on defense :)

Archived