Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The Cyclical vs steady argument is an interesting one but I would make the argument for consistent when you have a Franchise QB. 

I would agree, but when that franchise QB falls off....and they all do eventually, then what?

GB had a succession plan in place after Farve, at some point, pushing more toward the all in side of things needs to be considered as the better process vs the long term.

1 minute ago, ChaRisMa said:

Fair to say he’s frustrated he doesn’t have another ring. We all are. But that doesn’t change the timeline of his career. Every year we are a favorite, and will be again next year. He knows that. I’m sure he’s curious and excited to see what the Defense turns out to be next year. That’s all that has stopped him. Losing Collins AND Shields in their prime set their respective positions back to square one. So did Finley’s for that matter. Rodgers is smart enough to see those injuries really screwed our defense. 

He's also smart enough to know that he cant spend an entire year with Ladarious Gunter as a #1 CB and be a SB Champ.

Big difference between Ron Wolf and TT was in-season roster management. Ron would've NEVER allowed Gunter to be #1, he was constantly bringing in street vets to plug holes.

That's where he wants more aggression I imagine.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I mean realistically, if you had to share power with Pete Carroll you'd probably hate the guy deep down lol. 

I'm not sure there isn't buried dysfunction that Schneider would love to be out from under, even if he's professional enough to not have brought any of it to the surface so far.

I'd try to work something out with Seattle first, but if they continue to rebuff an interview request I think the Packers should push their case to the league ... Schneider does not have full control in Seattle.  The league might be persuaded to agree.  I wouldn't mind hearing Schneider publically come out and say he'd like the opportunity to interview in GB.  

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's also smart enough to know that he cant spend an entire year with Ladarious Gunter as a #1 CB and be a SB Champ.

Big difference between Ron Wolf and TT was in-season roster management. Ron would've NEVER allowed Gunter to be #1, he was constantly bringing in street vets to plug holes.

Who was the solution after Shield wk1 (iirc) injury that was both good enough to fix the defensive problems, and available because no other team wanted him after final roster cuts?

Also remember the injuries happened in waves. Shields, week one, but we still have a promising looking Randall and Rollins. Then two weeks later Randall goes down. A week later Rollins. Who was going to fix us losing CBs 1, 2, and 4?

Pretty much no team is built to survive stacked injuries like that, and the NFL post-cuts FA pool almost never has a replacement level guy for a #1, let alone a 1, 2, and 4.

49 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Shields was a borliderline pro bowler, Finley could have been a difference maker but wasn't all the time, but Nick Collins was on a train headed for Canton, Ohio. He never was or will be truly replaced. 

So true. 

I get it, injuries happen. But we lost these guys in their prime, for the rest of their careers. 

Really think we all would be changing are tune about Tsquared if we hadn’t lost those 3. 

10 minutes ago, Acrid Josher said:

Who was the solution after Shield wk1 (iirc) injury that was both good enough to fix the defensive problems, and available because no other team wanted him after final roster cuts?

Also remember the injuries happened in waves. Shields, week one, but we still have a promising looking Randall and Rollins. Then two weeks later Randall goes down. A week later Rollins. Who was going to fix us losing CBs 1, 2, and 4?

Pretty much no team is built to survive stacked injuries like that, and the NFL post-cuts FA pool almost never has a replacement level guy for a #1, let alone a 1, 2, and 4.

I don't recall anymore who was available, but there was a half dozen or so vets that had been cut. I'm not saying it would've solved our problems, but it's better than giving up, which is essentially what we did.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I don't recall anymore who was available, but there was a half dozen or so vets that had been cut. I'm not saying it would've solved our problems, but it's better than giving up, which is essentially what we did.

Peanut Tillman was clamoring for a job IIRC

Schneider, his wife, and two school aged boys may also love Seattle and be firmly entrenched in the community and want to spend the rest of their lives there. Schneider and Carroll may have the perfect working relationship and can't envision a better scenario at twice the money.

We humans love to talk ourselves into a scenario that fits our wants. As with our in house 1265 stuff, the more we know, the more we don't.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

And what's infuriating is that we still made it to the NFCCG. Rodgers just needed some, any help by TT, and got none.

13 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Schneider, his wife, and two school aged boys may also love Seattle and be firmly entrenched in the community and want to spend the rest of their lives there. Schneider and Carroll may have the perfect working relationship and can't envision a better scenario at twice the money.

We humans love to talk ourselves into a scenario that fits our wants. As with our in house 1265 stuff, the more we know, the more we don't.

Reporters are saying today that he is very interested in a return to GB.  I guess we will see.  I think if he turns us down I would go with Wolf or Gutenkunst.  There has just been way too much push back on Ball to go in that direction.

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I like Ron Wolf. But the endless lionization of Wolf gets a bit tiring after awhile. His methods were different or more aggressive or whatever adjective you want to give him - but his results were a fart in the wind. 1 SB win. And when he retired he said his way didn't work anymore.  I don't want a 1990's strategy in 2018

Ron did it his way, others do it a different way. But there isn't one best way in the NFL. ( other than serial cheating)

Wolf had Reggie White and Leroy Butler a top ranked defense and top offense + Favray. And he won exactly one 1 SB. And choked away another

Why is that now viewed as a model of awesomeness to follow ?

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I like Ron Wolf. But the endless lionization of Wolf gets a bit tiring after awhile. His methods were different or more aggressive or whatever adjective you want to give him - but his results were a fart in the wind. 1 SB win. And when he retired he said his way didn't work anymore.  I don't want a 1990's strategy in 2018

Ron did it his way, others do it a different way. But there isn't one best way in the NFL. ( other than serial cheating)

Wolf had Reggie White and Leroy Butler a top ranked defense and top offense + Favray. And he won exactly one 1 SB. And choked away another

Because I think many of us feel that if Holmgren had stayed on Wolf would have multiple rings.  Thompson has had his guy coaching the team for more than a decade.  I also want a guy who will make a move in season to better his club .. Thompson never did that.  We had what we had once the season started. 

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

And what's infuriating is that we still made it to the NFCCG. Rodgers just needed some, any help by TT, and got none.

I like to use poker analogies for front office moves.

Do you really think a few street free agents at CB are going to get us past Atlanta and New England last year? I certainly don't like the odds of that being the case.

It's like needing the next two cards to hit to pull off a winning hand. That's not the time to put more into the pot IMO. You call and hope for a miracle at that point and save your ammo for the next hand. 

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

It's all hypothetical, his Mike McCarthy became power hungry and left. Where would this organization be if Mac left after the 15-1 year? Who knows?

Mike Sherman was a good coach, but nowhere near the level of Holmgren or Mac. Sherman also had no control of Favre, and as his play deteriorated so did the quality of the Packers.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes but he's getting older, it's night and day after ATL that his words started to sound more aggressive. I think the large worry with Ball is that he's a finances guy, so is Murph. They may not want the 2023 Packers to be full of some dead cap from contracts signed this year and next to push Rodgers toward a vet driven team capable of winning it all. Mac is in the same boat, by the time Rodgers retires he'll be 15+ years in the league and probably ready to settle down and watch his kids grow up. Both of these men want to put the pedal to the floor and chase some championships.

Murph and Ball I can see opposing the "all in" style that Denver used to squeeze the last years of Manning's career and get him to 2 SBs. It's clearly a short term push and not a long term solution to roster building. It may result in worse teams for us after the careers of Mac and Rodgers and less profitability until we're good again.

Both "duos" have good reasoning for their stances, I think the problem right now is a difference in the viewpoint of these men. Mac and Aaron want what's best for the Packers in the next 5 years, as that's where their timelines stand, Murph/Ball want whats best for the Packers in any given year for as long as they're employed here.

I think as most candidates who have left this team have shown, they tend to be far more aggressive than the Ball/Ted/Murphy stance was. I think Mac and Aaron are pushing for a Gute/Wolf/Schneider hire so they have the best opportunity possible to win championships as they finish out their careers.

Are we assuming Ball will a clone of Ted?

Archived