2017 Postseason Discussion Thread

iLikeDefense

5 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Agreed, I’m surprised the dude hasn’t torn more ligaments or had more concussions. Maybe some players are scared he might drop the elbow on em.

But, on that specific play with the Jags...I didn't see him target Gronk...it was completely a football play where the defender was trying to dislodge the ball.  But, I am old school...a ref in the 80s where that would have been a good play.  For me...the players signed up to play a physical sport.  Then again, what do I know...I just created sex nachos. 

8 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

But, on that specific play with the Jags...I didn't see him target Gronk...it was completely a football play where the defender was trying to dislodge the ball.  But, I am old school...a ref in the 80s where that would have been a good play.  For me...the players signed up to play a physical sport.  Then again, what do I know...I just created sex nachos

Explain.

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You can even go back further than that and list Favre, Aikman, Young, Montana. It’s always been a QB driven league, at least since the mid-1980s. 

The Redskins won three SB's from 1982-91 with three different QB's. And, you had the 85 Bears win with McMahon.

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You can even go back further than that and list Favre, Aikman, Young, Montana. It’s always been a QB driven league, at least since the mid-1980s. 

Once again, that's looking at it in a vacuum. Aikmans 3 SB wins he was on stacked teams with great defenses, top 5 and above. Same with the other 3. Favre's only SB ring came when they had the top rated scoring defense in the NFL. Montana was the perfect QB for Bill Walsh's WCO, but the defenses in his 4 SB wins were rated 1, 2, 3 and 8.

The Bears and Redskins wins in the same era had defenses ranked, 1, 1, 2, and 6.

Looking at SB results it's pretty easy to see why the cliché, "defense wins championships".

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Knew the Jags couldn’t win on the road. Shoutout to the mf Dolphins for getting us home field in 2015

And in 2013. Don't forget that one. It's sad that the Broncos are the only team that can beat NE in the playoffs. And, thanks to Elway's mistakes, they can't do that anymore.

NE deserves full credit for the W - but the JAX coaching staff will really regret this when they look at this game film again.

18 minutes ToP in the 1H - but instead of trying to win the game and keep the ball, they kept running traps on 1st down, and getting into 2nd/3rd and long - thus the stalled drives.   JAX D tired out, and with Brady that's deadly.

PHI has 3 real hopes - first, they are way better in the trenches than NE on both sides of the ball.   Secondly, PHI boasts multiple weapons - Ajayi/Blount/Clement at RB keep them fresh, and Ertz/Burton actually gives them 2 pass catching TE's, before you get to Jeffery/Agholor (Torrey Smith pure lid lifter).   So they offer diversity against the NE D.   Finally, the PHI coaching staff has done an amazing job, and Pederson on O and Schwartz on D are fearless and aggressive.  JAX playing off coverage and going dive on 1st down predictably killed them.  I don’t see PHI making that same mistake.

NE will deserve to be the favorite, but PHI matches up well.   Much like JAX, it comes down to Foles not costing them field position, and playing mistake-free.   If he can play even half as well this game, then PHI has a real shot - when you are better in the trenches, that often wins out, if the TO battle isn't weighted against you.

25 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

NE deserves full credit for the W - but the JAX coaching staff will really regret this when they look at this game film again.

18 minutes ToP in the 1H - but instead of trying to win the game and keep the ball, they kept running traps on 1st down, and getting into 2nd/3rd and long - thus the stalled drives.   JAX D tired out, and with Brady that's deadly.

PHI has 3 real hopes - first, they are way better in the trenches than NE on both sides of the ball.   Secondly, PHI boasts multiple weapons - Ajayi/Blount/Clement at RB keep them fresh, and Ertz/Burton actually gives them 2 pass catching TE's, before you get to Jeffery/Agholor (Torrey Smith pure lid lifter).   So they offer diversity against the NE D.   Finally, the PHI coaching staff has done an amazing job, and Pederson on O and Schwartz on D are fearless and aggressive.  JAX playing off coverage and going dive on 1st down predictably killed them.  I don’t see PHI making that same mistake.

NE will deserve to be the favorite, but PHI matches up well.   Much like JAX, it comes down to Foles not costing them field position, and playing mistake-free.   If he can play even half as well this game, then PHI has a real shot - when you are better in the trenches, that often wins out, if the TO battle isn't weighted against you.

I don't know. I would make Philly a four-point favorite in this one.

I can appreciate a dynasty as much as anyone.. But even I have to admit that New England's reign is starting to become really obnoxious. The good news is that I don't see Denver having home season advantage in the playoffs again before Brady retires. So he will likely end his post season career win-less in Denver xD.  On a serious note, I think NE's fall from grace is gonna happen within the next couple years. It's gonna be brutal for them when the band finally breaks up.

11 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I don't know. I would make Philly a four-point favorite in this one.

I don’t know if I go that far given B.B. gets 2 weeks to prepare.   But the line is NE -5.5.  SMH trench dominance always gets underestimated.  

7 hours ago, 1234567 said:

I can appreciate a dynasty as much as anyone.. But even I have to admit that New England's reign is starting to become really obnoxious. The good news is that I don't see Denver having home season advantage in the playoffs again before Brady retires. So he will likely end his post season career win-less in Denver xD.  On a serious note, I think NE's fall from grace is gonna happen within the next couple years. It's gonna be brutal for them when the band finally breaks up.

Well, when the team has actual talent (like the 80's Lakers). This Patriot team has made 8 SB's the last 17 years with an average roster, for the most part. That is really embarrasing for the rest of the league.

4 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Well, when the team has actual talent (like the 80's Lakers). This Patriot team has made 8 SB's the last 17 years with an average roster, for the most part. That is really embarrasing for the rest of the league.

Agreed.  The Patriot defense for quite a few years now, from a talent perspective,  is average at best.  It’s why Belichick is the best of all time.  He’s a head and shoulders above everyone when it comes to adjusting his scheme to fit the talent, not asking them to do things they aren’t good at (like Denver having Todd Davis trying to cover RBs and TEs), and putting them in situations to be successful.

Archived